English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Other (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Dual and Tri format disks (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=94608)

matburton 11 October 2018 23:37

Dual and Tri format disks

I have these, are they uninteresting/common as muck or should I be preserving them?

https://imgur.com/d0z6PCnl.jpg

Also are there any tools or tricks I can use to make dual format disks of my own? Just for a bit of fun ;)

dlfrsilver 12 October 2018 07:18

dump them please, and upload them in the zone.

matburton 12 October 2018 13:35

Quote:

dump them please, and upload them in the zone
Will do. Might take me a little while. I assume I need to take a photo of each disk to accompany the RAW dump?

I found this older post about how these disks work, although only at a high level. Hence it sounds like it's going to be too complex to for me to make my own, although perhaps I could just alter one of these instead.

matburton 12 October 2018 23:46

So I've dumped 9 out of 13 of those disks and uploaded them to The Zone!

Four of them were just too far gone. Honestly I'm guessing many of these dumps will be bad. They didn't sound too good in the drive (SDF-321B).

It's also possible some could have been modified. I'm not the original owner and I haven't tried any in my Amiga or ST.

Shout if there's any I should attempt to re-dump. I can always try another drive I guess.

Retro1234 12 October 2018 23:50

What format are they in? are they in there intact multi format or just ADF?

I tried to open one of the Zips on my tablet and it couldnt

true multi format dumps are very rare I dont know what could be used to dump them? maybe RawDic or Dic?

matburton 12 October 2018 23:54

Quote:

What format are they in?
Kryoflux RAW stream files. I don't know what I'm doing well enough to do anything else ;)

matburton 12 October 2018 23:55

Quote:

I tried to open one of the Zips on my tablet and it couldnt
Sorry it's one ZIP archive split across 5 files due to The Zone! upload size limits.

Retro1234 12 October 2018 23:57

Cool:spin might be the first proper dual format dumps ever:great

niobyte 13 October 2018 20:28

I think dual format coverdisks have been sent to SPS before. As they were requested by SPS on their website and possibly on EAB.

I also have some of the coverdisks that are in the photo. I may also create CT-RAW and KT-RAW images of them. As I am unsure if I have done them before. Not sure if modified.

dlfrsilver 13 October 2018 23:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by matburton (Post 1276415)
Sorry it's one ZIP archive split across 5 files due to The Zone! upload size limits.

Got a look at them most need cleaning. Otherwise, they seem to be fine (a few are modified or seen as such otherwise :) )

niobyte 13 October 2018 23:52

I uploaded some to the EAB FTP here:
/~Uploads/niobyte/CT-RAW/Games/CTRAW/Multi_Format-CoverDisks/

1st disk in first row in the Photo -> ACE #55 (1992)(EMAP Images)(GB)[Apr 1992]-MultiFormat-CTRAW.zip
1st disk in third row in the Photo -> Zero #17 (1991)(Dennis)(GB)[Mar 1991]-MultiFormat-CTRAW.zip

I will also upload to the zone as well.

I also have the 2nd disk in the first row in the photo as well. I will need to locate it.

Let me know if you need the KF-RAW images as well.

Retro1234 14 October 2018 12:08

I haven't had a chance to look yet but I assume these can then be converted to Extended ADF to reduce the file size of the Kyroflux images and ease of use.

niobyte 14 October 2018 13:57

Having them in .raw or .ipf at least leaves it as a multi-format disk, that can then be used on the appropriate platform emulator that supports .raw or .ipf images.

They can be converted to Extended ADF images if one is to use the 'HxCFloppyEmulator' software.

Alternatively can also be done in an emulator or real Amiga using RAWREAD to create extended ADFs.

matburton 14 October 2018 14:57

Quote:

Got a look at them most need cleaning. Otherwise, they seem to be fine
I swapped to using a cleaned Panasonic JU drive (mostly), cleaned the disks a bit and dumped again with
-i0 -i4 -i5 -t20
to try and dump the more dubious parts.

Quote:

a few are modified or seen as such
How do you spot modified disks? Is it generally when the sectors don't line up down all the tracks or something? e.g. this one?

https://imgur.com/YXiGjxwl.png

Quote:

I also have some of the coverdisks that are in the photo
Quote:

I uploaded some to the EAB FTP
Sweet! I've uploaded my re-dump attempts there as well.

Quote:

Having them in .raw or .ipf at least leaves it as a multi-format disk, that can then be used on the appropriate platform emulator that supports .raw or .ipf images.
I tried converting some of these dumps to CT-RAW using DTC. Some booted fine in WinUAE, others did nothing. I haven't tried any in an Atari or PC emulator though. I assume there's no tooling to convert to IPF?

dlfrsilver 14 October 2018 15:01

I spot modified disks with the tool i use.

Retro1234 14 October 2018 20:34

If you use one of the Amiga, Atari ST emulators you can see if the multi format is intact
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...08#post1273708
Kick 1.3 1mb external floppy drive

matburton 14 October 2018 21:43

Quote:

If you use one of the Amiga, Atari ST emulators you can see if the multi format is intact
I downloaded Steem and gave three of the CT-RAW images that worked in WinUAE a quick try. It seems like only one worked, the triple format ACE disk. I'm guessing that means that many of my disks/dumps are poor or many of the disks have been modified.

I could also try writing one or two RAW dumps back to new disks and try each in my Amiga and ST I guess, but that's more time consuming.

I'll give some of dumps niobyte uploaded a try instead at some point, I'm guessing those dumps will be better.

Are there any PC emulators that support CT-RAW?

dlfrsilver 14 October 2018 21:45

winuae. But i insist, some of your disks need cleaning. I will indicate you which one.

Don't go blindly on them, it's no use. I will write which disk to do :)

matburton 14 October 2018 23:05

Quote:

But i insist, some of your disks need cleaning. I will indicate you which one.
Thanks dlfrsilver! If you do can you use the dumps I put in
~Uploads/matburton/MultiFormat
on the FTP server rather than the originals I put in The Zone! I'm hoping I did a better job on my second attempt.