English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   "CreateDevice failed" error with Direct3D filter on (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=49176)

Maren 01 December 2009 16:49

"CreateDevice failed" error with Direct3D filter on

2 Attachment(s)
http://i46.tinypic.com/2r6ds7c.png

I don't get this with other filters and it happens with the latest beta as well. I rarely use filters so it might as well be a stupid, conflicting config.

TCD 01 December 2009 16:56

Not sure it applies to your setup, but have a look here : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=603906#post603906

Maren 01 December 2009 17:23

Thanks. I also found this but I really don't know what to make of it all.

Toni Wilen 01 December 2009 18:44

It is something that only seems to happen with some NVidia cards (or perhaps only if NVidia and Windows XP)

Can't duplicate it with ATI hardware or Win7 NVidia laptop.

Maren 01 December 2009 19:13

Direct3D works with WinUAE's default config. Not sure if that can give you a clue?

Toni Wilen 01 December 2009 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maren (Post 620927)
Direct3D works with WinUAE's default config. Not sure if that can give you a clue?

You need to find the setting that causes the problem (perhaps it is display width)

Maren 01 December 2009 21:46

Here's what I gathered from the testing:

1. It's a fullscreen-only problem. All windowed modes work ok.

2. Apparently resolutions marked with a (*) are helpless and cannot be made to work with the Direct3D filter at all, unless I'm missing a magic setting or a very specific combination of them.

3. All other resolutions work ok with the Direct3D filter, even those low enough not to be appropriate for a filter, but only as long as the refresh rate is 60hz or higher. 50hz is what's actually causing the error screen to pop up when regular, non(*) fullscreen modes are used with the Direct3D filter.

Toni Wilen 02 December 2009 13:52

Ok, it must be display driver restriction.

"*" are modes that are not supported by current display, perhaps directdraw and d3d fullscreen modes have different restrictions..

Maren 31 January 2010 20:32

4 Attachment(s)
Not sure what exactly changed in the betas, but it has allowed my anal-retentive screenmodes to work with Direct3D :) but this is not without fault.

Turns out I still get the error if I go fullscreen with filters on, however, if enable filters AFTER going fullscreen, then everything works fine.

Can you do anything to correct this behavior?

Toni Wilen 31 January 2010 21:03

Does it work in 60Hz? (50Hz was marked with '!' in bootlog which means it is "hidden"/"monitor not supported" mode)

Without vsync? (and default refresh rate)

Maren 31 January 2010 21:17

It always worked at 60hz and still does. Vsync doesn't change anything, it's the 50hz thingy what triggers the error, difference is that now I can bypass said error and make 50hz work with Direct3D (it wouldn't work at all before) as long as I enable filtering after going fullscreen. If I have WinUAE set to work at 50hz and enable filtering before going fullscreen, then the error pops up.

Toni Wilen 31 January 2010 21:27

There is nothing I can do. (probably some driver specific bit somewhere that needs to be set or something.. or perhaps try changing monitor "driver" that officially allows 50Hz)

Maren 31 January 2010 21:40

Could you please add an option that automatically loads a preset filter AFTER going fullscreen and not before/while or whenever WinUAE does it? I think that would be a workaround :bowdown

Something like this:

1. I run winuae.exe
2. Filters are completely disabled at this point.
3. I go fullscreen and filters are still disabled.
4. Now WinUAE automatically loads a preset filter.

Toni Wilen 01 February 2010 08:12

Now I understand.. It "works" only because of new bug..

Enabling Direct3D checkbox on the fly does not close previous DD mode (including DD fullscreen) and your display driver is apparently happy if correct mode is already active..

DirectDraw fullscreen: works fine even if mode is "illegal".
Direct3D fullscreen: returns "sorry, can't do" except if mode is already correct :)

I think "correct" workaround would be:

- try Direct3D fullscreen normally
- if it fails with invalid parameters error (there isn't specific "screen mode wrong" error..) AND mode is "illegal" ('!') and fullscreen -> use DirectDraw to open fullscreen mode and retry Direct3D fullscreen.. (if DD was succesfull..)

This is soo stupid.. Not sure if this is worth the trouble..

Maren 01 February 2010 16:01

Obviously it isn't worth it because I'm about the only one experiencing this problem, but I can't help but beg you for it :bowdown

Toni Wilen 01 February 2010 16:32

Too late, I already hacked something..

http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.zip (include logs, works or not)

arti 01 February 2010 16:53

2 Attachment(s)
Doesn't work here. The error does not appear but if I choose Direct3D a screen comes black.

Edit:
I tried again and get the error like before.

Maren 01 February 2010 16:56

2 Attachment(s)
Works like a charm, thank you very much :)

Toni Wilen 01 February 2010 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by arti (Post 638906)
Doesn't work here. The error does not appear but if I choose Direct3D a screen comes black.

What are you talking about? This is about error when using forced refresh rates, not default (your log shows default refresh rate and there are no errors either..)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maren (Post 638907)
Works like a charm, thank you very much :)

Perfect :)

arti 02 February 2010 14:31

I mean I still get CreateDevice error. If Direct3D filter is used.
Other filters work. It occurs on AmiKit with WHDLoad games here.