English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.FS-UAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   linux qemu-uae kvm (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=76277)

tlosm 22 December 2014 14:38

linux qemu-uae kvm

@frode
i had been tested the last fsuae on linuxppc debian wheezy 7.6 and it is about 30% more faster compared the macosx 10.5 leopard
eg adoomwos 45 fps on macosx
69 fps on debian wheezy
plus there is a really significative increasing of disk reading.

i just need to ask if it is possible have the quemu uae with kvm module available and activable with a flag in default.fs-uae
eg : enable_kvm=1
this will gave to us who have a ppc machine run the ppc emulation at the same speed of cpu host with the increasing of performance of about 1000x

thank you

FrodeSolheim 22 December 2014 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlosm (Post 993064)
i just need to ask if it is possible have the qemu uae with kvm module available and activable with a flag in default.fs-uae
eg : enable_kvm=1

No attempt has been made to enable KVM in QEMU-UAE, so no, it cannot be enabled with just a setting. New code in QEMU-UAE plugin would be needed to enable that. And no, I dont know how well it would work, or how much work/debugging would be needed.

I you want to attempt this, you should team up with a skilled programmer (who uses PPC) :-/

tlosm 22 December 2014 22:36

ok we will report ;)

tlosm 27 December 2014 11:34

@ frode

something is mooving ;)

themamboman 26 January 2015 19:59

@tlosm,
Is there an update on kvm-enabled qemu and fs-uae?

tlosm 29 January 2015 19:56

im watching the qemu-uae sources for undestand where i can pass the variable --enable-kvm .. right now Qemu-uae build and update the linux headers for kvm .. but is hard to understand where i can pass the variable about.
Tony on the plugin and Frode do really clean job for make the qemu set it self as a 604e and 603e true winuae and fsuae .
The wonderful thing of Kvm is have the Cirrus Logic emulation in Kernel , means it can boost up the video rendering too...

FrodeSolheim 02 February 2015 23:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlosm (Post 1000737)
im watching the qemu-uae sources for undestand where i can pass the variable --enable-kvm .. right now Qemu-uae build and update the linux headers for kvm .. but is hard to understand where i can pass the variable about.

The QEmu configure script itself accepts --enable-kvm, ... but as I have indicated earlier, it might be difficult to actually get it working :-/

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlosm (Post 1000737)
The wonderful thing of Kvm is have the Cirrus Logic emulation in Kernel , means it can boost up the video rendering too...

No it won't! First of all, I don't see what KVM has to do with Cirrus Logic emulation at all. Secondly, the Cirrus Logic emulation in FS-UAE/WinUAE is a copied and modified version of the Cirrus Logic source code found in QEmu, so anything you do with QEmu will not affect the Cirrus Logic emulation in FS-UAE.

tlosm 04 February 2015 22:56

Frode,
the lastest linux kernel from 3.16 and up have the Kvm-pr as module (by Alexander Graf )that make the ppc64 or ppc32 active the kvm that make the big classes cpu become virtualized a small classes cpu
Example I can make a G5 become a virtualized (not emulated) G3, G4 or 604, 603 .
this is virtualization is made by qemu with kvm (qemu --enable-kvm) in a linux PPc system with Kvm and Kvm-pr module in kernel.
The same is for MacOnLinux Kvm .

Example :
http://www.amigafuture.de//userpix//...1a1x1000_1.jpg
This is MacOnLinux Kvm-pr enabled ... you can see a P6AT semi a PPC64 1.8ghz virtualize-emul a G3 ppc32 at 1.8ghz... without the kvm-pr before was not possible .. a ppc64 can only kvm virtualize another ppc64 system

About Cirrus logic qemu
yes from 3.18 linux kernel there is the module option for have the cirrus logic emulation of qemu and the bochs svga as drm kernels modules.
Dont ask me how that works , but for sure this modules active in kernel increase considerably the video speed... for the better performances look like virtualized and not emulated devices.

About kvm on Qemu-uae ... yes it build with enable kvm and upgrade the linux headers the only problem is how to pass the --enable-kvm variable to qemu-uae.so ;-) (like qemu-uae.so --enabale-kvm)

themamboman 13 February 2015 15:02

Thanks for the update! I hope that KVM is possible for FS-UAE one day!

tlosm 14 February 2015 22:14

Letz hope!

this screenshot will make Frode understand better than my not perfect english words :P
check the cpu in the qemu windows all are in kvm-pr and fast like the cpu host . in my case one G5 for Vmachine

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/...ps45d3e0b5.png

FrodeSolheim 15 February 2015 00:09

There is no option in qemu-uae to enable KVM. QEMU-UAE != QEMU. In fact, QEMU-UAE just uses the PPC CPU emulation subsystem from QEMU. In order to make that work, it also initializes a few other QEMU subsystems.

But there is no option parsing (or similar), and the QEMU initialization isn't run. Instead, QEMU-UAE initializes subsystems directly.

So what is needed to get KVM enabled is to add code to QEMU-UAE to configure/enable KVM acceleration for the CPU emulation. This is why I said that a programmer was needed :)

accel.c:configure_accelerator looks like a good starting point...

tlosm 15 February 2015 09:28

yep i was watching in there too :-P
i dont know if mike is working there on not , he had been fixed euae jit for linux during the christmas holidays.
In any way will see in future if something will change :P