English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Cdrom drive on A600 ? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=39000)

lolafg 24 August 2008 10:43

Cdrom drive on A600 ?

Hello , i would kike to install a cdrom drive to my A600 but i don't know how to do that...1_which type of cdrom drive can be installed ?2_which cables do i need to plug it to the amiga ?3_what could i do with this drive ( games ,music,programs) ?I would prefer an external drive but not with the pcmcia port because used by a 4mb sram card...Thanks in advance !!

Charlie 24 August 2008 11:38

Hello,
Options - there's other's here who know the A600 better than me, but for a start...

External CD:
-Keep a close eye on fleaBay - the Squirrel SCSI will plug into the PCMCIA port & allow you to use the usual external SCSI peripherals.
That would sadly loose your extra Ram...
-With clockport adapter, this, or this, will allow you to plug in a Subway so allowing you to use USB stuff...
I believe both clockports are currently unavailable...

What else?
-This thread may be of interest if you're happy to do a bit of case-modding :)...
...or you could always go for the 'deconstructed look' & wire any old IDE CD-Rom to the A600 header via ribbon cable + a bit of power. Leave it external with the cables running into the case.

Food for thought?
Regards.

Zetr0 24 August 2008 11:42

@lolafg

hello there :)

there are various ways to add a CD to an A600 (externally), you could look at modifying an IDE cable to the outside of the case, although unsightly it would work.

as you are using the PCMCIA port for Fast Ram, it would perhaps recomend an Internal CD rom mod.

have a look here :) theres lots of pics :D

[edit]

Bloody hell Charlie.... your a posting Ninja! :great! (nice linkies btw :D)

Charlie 24 August 2008 11:51

:D Credit where it's due old chap - I don't think I got round to congratulating you on your excellent mod at the time you did it.

lolafg 24 August 2008 14:58

@ Charlie and Zetro , thank you for your answers , i'll have a look on all those things !Just another question , what can be done with a cdrom drive (music , games ,programs ...) ?Thanks in advance !!

Graham Humphrey 24 August 2008 15:02

Here's a list of CD-ROM games - though you may find with a humble A600 it restricts what games you can run somewhat. You may be able to run a lot of CDTV stuff but as most of that is available on floppy, and most of it isn't much to write home about anyway, I'm not sure you'll find too much of interest games-wise.

Charlie 24 August 2008 15:19

Camel Racer!!! :cool

Why has a WHD install never been made for this gem!?!

lolafg 24 August 2008 15:57

Thank you !!
So if it is only for games , it is not really important to have a cdrom drive...

thanks again.

lolafg 24 August 2008 19:42

Ah , a new idea , wouldn't it be better to buy a CD32 and plug it to the amiga with the serial port ?
I need an advice about that !!

Thanks in advance !!

Charlie 24 August 2008 20:04

:)
Ah, a CD32. Now we're talking...

Yes, you can 'network' a CD32 with an A1200 - I have such a setup & it works quite well. TBH I rarely use this feature as my A1200 has an internal DVD-Writer. It's one of those 'It's cool that it can be done' things for me but could be a practicable solution to you.

IMO:
If you're mostly playing games I'd recommend a CD32 + a few CD's anyway.
You may also need a keyboard + mouse (or your A1200) for those games that are best with such things.

Download one of the very nice CD32 compilations: '200', '350', '444', '888', burn it (slowly) to CD-R & you're set.
The stock laser in the CD32 can struggle with some CD-Rs but there are threads about that here - I may have done a guide on the subject of replacing the laser with a better one.

The above would (like me) leave you with a practicable Amiga games machine while your A1200 can be used for 'tinkering'.

lolafg 24 August 2008 20:12

Would it work too with my A 600 ?

Charlie 25 August 2008 00:57

Oops, sorry :o

600/1200 - one's 1/2 of the other...

Yes, I'd expect it to work - never tried it myself with a 600.

Rhetorical Question:
Do you NEED a CD drive for your A600..?
Any of these solutions should do you but what will you use the drive for?

The reason I ask is with a 68k processor you may be a bit limited for worthwhile CD software / uses for a CD drive that your processor will cope with...
...then again if it's a case of 'It can be done, so it shall be done' - I get that.

lolafg 25 August 2008 14:06

@ Charlie , that's it "it can be done , so it shall be done" !!

Thanks for your help !!