English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Games (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Xenon 2 - Megablast conversion issue (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=107250)

Rissy 06 June 2021 11:21

Xenon 2 - Megablast conversion issue

Yo!

Can anyone help. I can't seem to convert my personal copy of Disk 1 for Xenon 2 Megablast from the floppy extracted .SCP to a useable .ADF for my Gotek.

WinUAE accepts and loads the .SCP fine, but nothing will load up the converted .ADF from the .SCP version. I don't know why!?

I've tried using HxC and disk-analyse without success.

You'll find the .SCP in one of my DropBox folders here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k3bkkkh63...1c9lhRhKa?dl=0

Thank you in advance. :)

dlfrsilver 06 June 2021 11:25

This is normal, the game is copy protected. The adf format cannot handle the copylock. You need to convert to hfe v3.

Rissy 06 June 2021 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlfrsilver (Post 1489040)
This is normal, the game is copy protected. The adf format cannot handle the copylock. You need to convert to hfe v3.

When i tried to do this using disk-analyse, it gave me an error regarding sector 950 or something. I preumed then that the conversion had failed. ?

of course i've not tried the resultant .HFE yet, a WinUAE doesn't run .HFE. I'll try it on the Gotek anyway.....just for giggles on a Sunday morning.

Rissy 06 June 2021 11:52

Right. So that image, despite the disk-analyse warning of error, seems to load up on the Gotek fine as a .HFE Rev3. Weird.

I tried the same thing with .IPF (0297) http://www.oldgamesfinder.com/?q=xenon+2&m=-4 using disk-analyse, and it dosn't work in the Gotek. Why is that?

Rissy 06 June 2021 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rissy (Post 1489042)
Right. So that image, despite the disk-analyse warning of error, seems to load up on the Gotek fine as a .HFE Rev3. Weird.

I tried the same thing with .IPF (0297) http://www.oldgamesfinder.com/?q=xenon+2&m=-4 using disk-analyse, and it dosn't work in the Gotek. Why is that?

Hmmm. Conversion seems to be a minefield of inconsistency. I've just used HxC to convert .IPF (0297) to HFE Rev3 and it works fine in the Gotek, but doing the same conversion in disk-analyse proved not to work. Weird.

Anyway, i'm happy now. :)

End of line.

BarryB 06 June 2021 16:24

There are 3 releases of Xenon 2, all use some form of protection. There is a 2 Disk release that is ADOS + Copylock, a 1 Disk release with Speedlock + MFM tracks and another 1 Disk release that just uses RNC PDOS format, so none of them (unless cracked) can be converted to an 880k ADF and work!

Disk-Utilities supports all 3 releases!

TjLaZer 06 June 2021 16:38

The NTSC version on Retroplay was ripped by me, the ADF files in it are not copy protected, use those. on EAB FTP.

solarmon 06 June 2021 17:15

When using disk-analyse, did you specify the correct format for Xenon II? I think there are a few different versions.

Retroplay 06 June 2021 17:16

Upped an archive with TjLaZer's US version to the zone, for convenience named them TOSEC style.
Seems to work well in PAL mode as well. :)

BarryB 06 June 2021 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by TjLaZer (Post 1489088)
The NTSC version on Retroplay was ripped by me, the ADF files in it are not copy protected, use those. on EAB FTP.

It's not strictly NTSC as it loads in PAL in WinUAE, as Retroplay states. So the Spotlight/Cinemaware release was unprotected, in that case, yes you can convert to ADF and it will work!

TjLaZer 06 June 2021 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryB (Post 1489104)
It's not strictly NTSC as it loads in PAL in WinUAE, as Retroplay states. So the Spotlight/Cinemaware release was unprotected, in that case, yes you can convert to ADF and it will work!

Well unlike the "PAL" Version of the game, which seems to have been done a lot by these companies back then, they merely shifted the screen down a bit to center it vertically for PAL. Otherwise yes it runs fine on both systems.

Rissy 06 June 2021 21:56

It's the two disk edition I have here, just like (0297). So I used the correct "Xenon 2, 2 disk" format option in disk-analyse. didn't work though. Neither does (0297) using disk-analyse and that format option.

BarryB 06 June 2021 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rissy (Post 1489140)
It's the two disk edition I have here, just like (0297). So I used the correct "Xenon 2, 2 disk" format option in disk-analyse. didn't work though. Neither does (0297) using disk-analyse and that format option.

0297 converts for me! It's case-sensitive so Xenon 2, 2 Disk is the correct syntax!

Is your repository up to date?

Rissy 07 June 2021 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryB (Post 1489142)
0297 converts for me! It's case-sensitive so Xenon 2, 2 Disk is the correct syntax!

Is your repository up to date?

I used exactly the same case as is written in the FORMATS document. I was going be memory when i wrote my message last night.

Converts for you and then runs on WinUAE and a Gotek?

What do you mean my repository? Linux? I don't know much about Linux. I've only been working with it to get disk-analyse working in virtual box on my laptop. Although Ubuntu went through a massive update exercise automatically yesterday after i tried doing file conversions. Is that what you mean?

BarryB 07 June 2021 19:12

I mean is your Disk-Utilities repo up to date, cd into your Disk-Utilities folder then issue a git pull and see if it says Already up-to-date.

Whenever people say 'convert' and mention Disk-Utilities I always read that to mean convert to 'IPF' not 'HFE', so no, I haven't tried the HFE converted by Disk-Utilities in my Gotek!

But, using the files Retroplay uploaded to The Zone, you won't have to worry about ANY conversion as they are already in useable ADF format!

Rissy 07 June 2021 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryB (Post 1489289)
I mean is your Disk-Utilities repo up to date, cd into your Disk-Utilities folder then issue a git pull and see if it says Already up-to-date.

Thank you for that, I didn't know that. I've now done that, and it says already up to date.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryB (Post 1489289)
But, using the files Retroplay uploaded to The Zone, you won't have to worry about ANY conversion as they are already in useable ADF format!

What is "The Zone".

Others were telling me that Xenon 2 (uncracked i guess) couldn't be converted to .ADF and that I needed to convert it to .HFE (Rev 3)?

BarryB 08 June 2021 18:41

How do I get access to The Zone?

Once you have access to The Zone just download the file Retroplay uploaded from TjLaZers dump: Xenon 2 - Megablast (1989)(Image Works)(US).zip

This is a 2 Disk ADF with NO PROTECTION so you can use it 'as is' on your Gotek :great

Note: Ignore the bit about uploading IPF files, they are not banned anymore!

Rissy 09 June 2021 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryB (Post 1489469)
How do I get access to The Zone?

Once you have access to The Zone just download the file Retroplay uploaded from TjLaZers dump: Xenon 2 - Megablast (1989)(Image Works)(US).zip

This is a 2 Disk ADF with NO PROTECTION so you can use it 'as is' on your Gotek :great

Note: Ignore the bit about uploading IPF files, they are not banned anymore!

Thanks for that BarryB, much appreciated. I'll take a look when i get a chance, maybe in the next few days. Although, as discussed earlier in the thread, I do have Xenon 2 from (0297) .IPF working on my Gotek already. It's just that I couldn't convert it from .IPF to .HFE (Rev 3) using disk-analyse. I got it converted ok using HxC instead. So same result. (I've no idea why it didn't work using disk-analyse)

It sounds like the copy you're talking of is just another cracked copy of the game, which is not what i wanted. You can already get these cracked .ADF versions all over, so you're not limited to "The Zone", unless there's something special about that particular .ADF version?

dlfrsilver 09 June 2021 10:14

Disk analyse is made to encode from SCP or KF to IPF or any other output format.

If you want to convert from IPF to HFE v3, use the HxC tool.

Rissy 09 June 2021 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlfrsilver (Post 1489581)
Disk analyse is made to encode from SCP or KF to IPF or any other output format.

If you want to convert from IPF to HFE v3, use the HxC tool.

Thanks dlfrsilver. Indeed your advice helped me out set up HxC to accept .IPF files and successfully make a Gotek friendly .HFE working copy of the game. :great