English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.WHDLoad (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   When did WHDLoad became Free (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=108925)

spannernick 20 November 2021 13:33

When did WHDLoad became Free

I see WHDLoad can still read the key...:) even if now you do not need to register it now, its still shows my name when I run it, so when did WHDLoad stop being Shareware to Freeware?

I guess it was only a matter of time, but now thats opened it to be able to be used in replica machines like TheA500 Mini, it includes the game Pinball Dreams that works with a controller and only the WHDLoad version can do that, TheA500 Mini does not come with a keyboard.

Aladin 20 November 2021 13:54

You can connect a USB keyboard to the a500 mini. Like all A1000 / a2000 / a3000 / a4000.
(they would have done better to make the shape of one of these models for the mini and keep the a500 / a1200 for a maxi version with keyboard)

Whdload 18.2 (2015)
http://whdload.de/docs/History.html

haps 20 November 2021 15:24

Why does it matter?

apex 20 November 2021 16:10

???

BarryB 22 November 2021 13:50

Some installs required you to have a registered copy of WHDLoad, so from that point of view it's worth pointing out that now WHDLoad is free that restriction is now gone!

Cubemon 22 November 2021 15:13

I can tell you: it became free a month or two AFTER I finally decided to pay for registration. I guess I was the one that tipped the scales and they decided they made enough money. :lol

But seriously, I'm glad to have supported developers who transcended the whole experience of using real hardware to relive classic moments in Amiga history. And not least, they've made it easier for whole new generations to experience a huge chunk of the Amiga library. Albeit without the pain of incompatibilies, disk swapping and broken disks and drives. :D

Adropac2 23 November 2021 01:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cubemon (Post 1518472)
I can tell you: it became free a month or two AFTER I finally decided to pay for registration. I guess I was the one that tipped the scales and they decided they made enough money. :lol

But seriously, I'm glad to have supported developers who transcended the whole experience of using real hardware to relive classic moments in Amiga history. And not least, they've made it easier for whole new generations to experience a huge chunk of the Amiga library. Albeit without the pain of incompatibilies, disk swapping and broken disks and drives. :D

yeah WHDload is definitely a big deal and I also supported it way back when I discovered it. It was like christmas time and I just couldn't believe a thing like it existed. Even now to be honest when you consider the work involved in both the program and it's games. Amazing

spudje 23 November 2021 13:56

There's a difference between free for the end-user and free to include in commercial products. The latter is NOT the case for WHDLoad. However, for the A500mini there is an agreement between the A500 mini producing company and the developer of WHDLoad I'm told.

whiteb 31 January 2022 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by spudje (Post 1518597)
There's a difference between free for the end-user and free to include in commercial products. The latter is NOT the case for WHDLoad. However, for the A500mini there is an agreement between the A500 mini producing company and the developer of WHDLoad I'm told.

Just to Thread Necro. As of the end of December (2021) WEPL said there was no agreement in place. As of January, Retro LTD and WEPL were in talks but as of yet there is no firm agreement between them (that i can see).

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=1524311&postcount=2

desiv 31 January 2022 23:51

When did it become free?
Just after I registered it...
Same happened with WinAMP on the PC when I registered that...
I need to register more stuff... ;-)

coldacid 01 February 2022 14:56

Thank you for making software free, desiv! :D

zodiac 19 February 2022 17:48

Thanks desiv! Can you pay to register Winrar so I can get that for free?

FireAnt 21 March 2022 02:05

Hello all, I'm new here and have been an Amiga fan all my life. (previous A500, A500+, and A1200 owner).

Anyway, I'm hoping to get my hands on the mini when it's released and told its this software that's needed to source other games.

Can anyone tell me, if its easy or not to add amiga games to a USB drive to use on the mini? Or will it take a lot of work, adjustments etc to get any other games working correctly?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Superman 21 March 2022 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireAnt (Post 1537069)
Hello all, I'm new here and have been an Amiga fan all my life. (previous A500, A500+, and A1200 owner).

Anyway, I'm hoping to get my hands on the mini when it's released and told its this software that's needed to source other games.

Can anyone tell me, if its easy or not to add amiga games to a USB drive to use on the mini? Or will it take a lot of work, adjustments etc to get any other games working correctly?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

The review embargo has now been lifted and it looks as easy as copying the lha files onto a USB. Check out this review

https://youtu.be/h552-eR0cGA

gizmomelb 24 March 2022 09:37

nice.. I'll admit the A500 MINI has me excited to get back into the world of Amiga as I lost my way for the past 20 years or so due to starting a family / work etc.

Having WHDload in the MINI surprised me and GLAD that an agreement was reached for the commercial use of it in this product.

Pyromania 24 March 2022 20:35

I'm excited about the A500 Mini too.

S0ulA55a551n 25 March 2022 15:28

Got one on pre-order :)

Saw the retro hours dan review of it on youtube and I am impressed