English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   request.Music (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   The source of ripped modules (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=103205)

chip 21 July 2020 14:31

The source of ripped modules

Hi guys

Always asked myself what is the source for ripped modules of the games

I mean, what is used ..... originals IPFs or cracked ADFs ? :blased

Thanks, chip

Galahad/FLT 21 July 2020 18:54

It doesnt matter, the data is the same, but ADF cracked disks have been around a lot longer than IPF.

chip 21 July 2020 18:57

Thanks Galahad :)

But which tool can i use to look inside IPFs ?

Are the files visible like the cracked ADFs ? :blased

Galahad/FLT 21 July 2020 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by chip (Post 1415226)
Thanks Galahad :)

But which tool can i use to look inside IPFs ?

Are the files visible like the cracked ADFs ? :blased

No. IPF preserves the custom dìsk format, so unless you know how to decode that disk format, youre stuck.

However, if youre using winuae, it has built in prowizard and once a module is loaded and playing then it should be trivial to rip.

chip 21 July 2020 21:09

Thanks again for reply :)

Anyway the built-in ProWizard is absolutely not enough, since it is able to detect only some formats :agree

Galahad/FLT 21 July 2020 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by chip (Post 1415235)
Thanks again for reply :)

Anyway the built-in ProWizard is absolutely not enough, since it is able to detect only some formats :agree

What formats can't it detect?

AmigaHope 22 July 2020 04:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by chip (Post 1415189)
Hi guys

Always asked myself what is the source for ripped modules of the games

I mean, what is used ..... originals IPFs or cracked ADFs ? :blased

Thanks, chip

Back in the day you could also just boot to a minimum environment to dump chipram after a soft-reset, and 99% of the time the mod would still be there (unless it was stored right at the beginning of memory), and you could just scan the memory dump for the mod.

I had a special memory dumper that fit in a bootblock to do this. No graphics etc. to eat chipmem, just stick in a new floppy and hit space and it would dump all 512k of chipmem to a blank floppy.

A few games had a reset vector protection to stop you from doing this, but not many.

chip 22 July 2020 06:38

For Galahad

Oktalyzer, DeltaMusic, Delta Music 2, Sonic Arranger, Art Of Noise .... just to tell someone :rolleyes

---------------------------

For AmigaHope

Thanks for the info :)

lilalurl 22 July 2020 08:22

For chip, you can write to several members in the same post.

If you use quotes, you can use the multi-quote button ("+, on the right of the quote button and click quote on the last message you want to quote).

If not, you can use "For" as you did. Some members use "@" (for example, @chip). You can use a line of whatever you want to separate part of the message.
For example:
For Adun.
********************* or ----------------------------
For the Emperor.
etc...

chip 22 July 2020 08:42

Never used the "quote" feature .... i will look at that :)

Thanks for the info :p

Axxy 22 July 2020 14:43

I think Prowiz only rips protracker compatible variants to convert and a few synth formats. Not sure about the formats within Winuae though..

In Winuae, there is also an Option in Miscellaneous/Save State (don't forget to change output to raw or uncompressed).. This would then allow you to run other more comprehensive rippers over the saved image that may support other exotic formats.

Not having a real Amiga any more, I've no idea what ripping software you'd use nowadays if your on a real Amiga.

chip 22 July 2020 14:51

Thanks Axxy :)

Yep, the built-in ProWizard is great with tracker based formats (included a huge amount of MOD packers which it is able to convert) :agree

Instead, as you said, it rip very few exotic formats, so for those ones i use Exotic Ripper for Amiga :spin

NoX1911 22 July 2020 17:38

99% should be ripped already. Maybe try searching first.

Especially custom tracks (*.cust) are probably impossible to detect for generic rippers. Cust formats include custom code (play routine) and are usually handcrafted individually (made portable) after ripping.

That's why i still use Winamp for playing Amiga music (on Linux). Supports most formats and many different implementations/routines.

The 'Action Replay' cartridges have a ripper as well. Not sure if the newer ones finally support more than mod files though.

chip 22 July 2020 17:51

It's really impossible to determine that 99% of modules are already ripped .... how do you check something like that ? :blased