English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   WinUAE 4.9.0 beta series (Was 4.5.0) (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=104099)

White 10 January 2021 13:36

Toni,
Thanks for the advice and sorry for the reports, I can finally resume configuring the 4.1 so I will have the opportunity to thoroughly test the 64bit version of winuae because I will do many operations and reboots.
I will dedicate myself to the complete configuration of the applications.
The games will come later.

White 11 January 2021 17:19

I wanted to ask if full voodoo grex support in 4.1 is already included in the latest beta 15
I did a grex based installation.
I noticed that the installation is very long 10-15 minutes (mediator takes 2-3 minutes) after reboot after system login and after the amigaos4.1 logo and even after the sound the screen remains black.
If, on the other hand, I use a mediator-based installation (therefore complete) and I add the line in the startup-sequence c: bootloader "grex" and I also allocate (1 gigabyte) of ram on Z3 the boot happens without problems and everything works.
I hope it is the right section to signal this.
Thanks.

Toni Wilen 11 January 2021 19:53

G-REX + Voodoo works fine here in OS 4. (Installation was not done using PCI, only required bootloader change was manually added). No difference between mediator or G-REX.

btw, your previous configs didn't have any floppy drives enabled. It will slow down booting ~10-20 seconds.

White 11 January 2021 20:11

Thanks, then i will use grex so i can test it with other applications.
I always thought that disabling the floppy emulation would be faster because less resources were required :)

Toni Wilen 11 January 2021 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by White (Post 1452665)
I always thought that disabling the floppy emulation would be faster because less resources were required :)

It is not about emulation but AmigaOS assuming DF0: exists (only exceptions are CDTV and CD32). It attempts to read non-existing floppy from non-existing drive multiple times.

Compare logs and length of boot between df0: disabled and enabled.

Mad-Matt 11 January 2021 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by White (Post 1452607)
I wanted to ask if full voodoo grex support in 4.1 is already included in the latest beta 15
I did a grex based installation.
I noticed that the installation is very long 10-15 minutes (mediator takes 2-3 minutes) after reboot after system login and after the amigaos4.1 logo and even after the sound the screen remains black.
If, on the other hand, I use a mediator-based installation (therefore complete) and I add the line in the startup-sequence c: bootloader "grex" and I also allocate (1 gigabyte) of ram on Z3 the boot happens without problems and everything works.
I hope it is the right section to signal this.
Thanks.

You should create the boot floppy in order to load the grex support before the cd installer is booted. (the ready made adf is on the 4.1fe cd)

White 11 January 2021 21:20

@Mad-Matt
Yes the floppy .adf I created it a long time ago I use it with uaegfx.
But if you choose grex support during the installation of 4.1FE as enable "experimental grex support" at the end of the installation the boot fails, a black screen remains

manually correcting the startup-sequence of a mediator installation with:
c:bootloader "Grex"
then everything works.
Furthermore, if the 4.1FE update1 & 2 is installed, the startup-sequence will be overwritten once again by update 2 and the startup-sequence modification must be repeated

separate note:
I also noticed that until the following line is enabled in the startup-sequence:
C:bootloader COMMANDLINE "Grex NoRamPager"
the sound will be distorted and you might think that the audio is not working and the graphics will be slowed down a lot this could suggest a winuae bug but in reality it is not so everything works once you add the line above to the startup-sequence.
This does not happen with uaegfx but only with Voodoo + 4.1

This also happens with mediator

I still don't understand why the slowdown of the graphics and the distortion of the sound occur before modifying the startup-sequence this does not always happen but today it has happened many times during my installation.

White 11 January 2021 22:09

Found the problem if you use for example a thema to deeply change the more advanced and non-standard interface such as those included in 4.1FE.
but like this:

http://os4depot.net/share/graphics/t...ilverblack.lha

then the system suffers and needs more memory etc.
causing the system to slow down dramatically.
Increasing the memory solves the problem.
Probably it's OT, I'm sorry

separate note:
Instead grex is not related to this problem

Mad-Matt 11 January 2021 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by White (Post 1452688)
@Mad-Matt
Yes the floppy .adf I created it a long time ago I use it with uaegfx.
But if you choose grex support during the installation of 4.1FE as enable "experimental grex support" at the end of the installation the boot fails, a black screen remains

manually correcting the startup-sequence of a mediator installation with:
c:bootloader "Grex"
then everything works.
Furthermore, if the 4.1FE update1 & 2 is installed, the startup-sequence will be overwritten once again by update 2 and the startup-sequence modification must be repeated

separate note:
I also noticed that until the following line is enabled in the startup-sequence:
C:bootloader COMMANDLINE "Grex NoRamPager"
the sound will be distorted and you might think that the audio is not working and the graphics will be slowed down a lot this could suggest a winuae bug but in reality it is not so everything works once you add the line above to the startup-sequence.
This does not happen with uaegfx but only with Voodoo + 4.1

This also happens with mediator

I still don't understand why the slowdown of the graphics and the distortion of the sound occur before modifying the startup-sequence this does not always happen but today it has happened many times during my installation.

The idea is you boot from the GREX enabled floppy which sets up the required firmware before you start the cd installer. Clicking Enable Grex Support in the installer also sets the correct startup options and the installation is completed successfully.

This makes "I noticed that the installation is very long 10-15 minutes (mediator takes 2-3 minutes) after reboot after system login and after the amigaos4.1 logo and even after the sound the screen remains black." Not an issue as the installer works correctly and fast using CyberSCSI, Grex/Voodoo.

EDIT: Installing Update 1 goes fine as well and retains grex support. Installing Update2 however only installs the standard startup but thankfully still boots into AGA and allows to easily edit the startup manualy.

White 11 January 2021 22:37

@Mad-Matt
I haven't seen why it doesn't boot
i thought it was something to be solved in winuae
any solution is welcome :)
what could block it at the moment I have no idea
but afterwards I do other tests to see if somehow we can get around the problem.

White 11 January 2021 22:56

I thought it was solvable via winuae
because with uaefgx the installation happens without problems and also with PicassoIV.

White 12 January 2021 09:57

I did this test because for example I discovered that if I install the "silverblack" package to have a more advanced interface, the problem does not lie in the resources of the ram etc.
but i have to completely quit winuae and relaunch it and the problem is solved.
It is as if somehow the voodoo3 resource has to be completely restarted or it is winuae to have to be completely restarted and the graphics problem disappears.
If I do for example simply F12 to restart instead the problem persists.
I hope it is useful.

White 12 January 2021 11:25

Solved

White 12 January 2021 12:08

Solved
TNX Mad-Matt

Mad-Matt 12 January 2021 12:36

Your doing it wrong. Enabling Grex support BEFORE running the installer ensures it opens on the voodoo screen. Selecting VoodooPCI ensures the os will be setup for Voodoo. No replacing files is required.

White 12 January 2021 12:45

@Mad-Matt
the configuration and PCI Grex + Voodoo3
and all configured from the start
the installation just doesn't work properly

the 4.1 update6 Classic also has the same problem

the replacement of the file is necessary, otherwise the boot does not happen and a black screen remains
it is not a PCI + Voodoo3 peripheral configuration problem

Mad-Matt 12 January 2021 12:54

When you start the boot floppy is it at least telling you it found the grex firmware before it resets?

White 12 January 2021 12:59

I have been emulating 4.1FE with Grex for 4 years
something is just wrong

try you do a fresh installation with PCI-Grex + Voodoo3
you will find the same problem.

I don't know ppc + 68k
but the 4.1FE I know well

Mad-Matt 12 January 2021 13:01

I already did the test last night in post #449

It all works like it should, just like on actual hardware.

White 12 January 2021 13:05

@Mad-Matt
Can you give me your config file, it would help me understand better, thanks
I read you were talking about CyberSCSI if you have a setup it would be useful