English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Write protect configuration files (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=105878)

RetroSwan 18 February 2021 10:24

Write protect configuration files

Hi all.

Is there a way of write protecting my main configuration file so it doesn't accidentally get written over. Tried setting it to read only in Windows but it can still be over written. Taken me a long time to set up hdd and whdload following hours of videos. Really don't want to do it again haha

Any advice is much appreciated.

I have taken a copy of my current config just in case.

Foebane 18 February 2021 10:31

Make a backup of it by copying and pasting in the same folder?

AMIGASYSTEM 18 February 2021 10:35

Which configuration file are you referring to?

RetroSwan 18 February 2021 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM (Post 1463233)
Which configuration file are you referring to?

The main one you name and load to continue your build. I'm working through 14 tutorial videos, just finished no.3 and a accidentally saved over by mistake and had to start again.

DamienD 18 February 2021 11:59

Doesn't a "configuration.backup" file get created in the path of your Configuration files?

Navigate there in Windows / File Explorer and take a look.

AMIGASYSTEM 19 February 2021 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetroSwan (Post 1463252)
The main one you name and load to continue your build. I'm working through 14 tutorial videos, just finished no.3 and a accidentally saved over by mistake and had to start again.

You can every time do a "Save As" and save adding to the name the date or the type of emulation and have them all available, see screenshot

RetroSwan 19 February 2021 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM (Post 1463521)
You can every time do a "Save As" and save adding to the name the date or the type of emulation and have them all available, see screenshot

Cool, yeah I'll do something like that. Didn't know if there was a way of locking the configuration file from with winuae. While I'm here, can I get the software to boot straight into my preferred configuration instead of loading it each time? Thanks again.

Phantasm 19 February 2021 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetroSwan (Post 1463529)
can I get the software to boot straight into my preferred configuration instead of loading it each time? Thanks again.

you can create a shortcut and include the -f parameter as part of it so clicking on the shortcut will start a particular config.. eg i have the following in the target setting for my shortcut:

"C:\Program Files\WinUAE\winuae64.exe" -f a4000.uae

RetroSwan 19 February 2021 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantasm (Post 1463541)
you can create a shortcut and include the -f parameter as part of it so clicking on the shortcut will start a particular config.. eg i have the following in the target setting for my shortcut:

"C:\Program Files\WinUAE\winuae64.exe" -f a4000.uae

:great thank you

Oxygene 23 February 2021 09:55

Perhaps Toni could implement "Save Incremental" option like the one in the newer verions of Cinema 4D ie. an option that when saving automatically adds increasing number (counter) as a suffix to filename? Just a thought.

Toni Wilen 23 February 2021 17:17

Not overwriting read-only files can be added (read protection does nothing because when writing config file, old one is renamed as configuration.backup so there is never any actual overwriting happening)

Config file name is not going to magically change when writing. It would be only annoying. Copying whole configurations directory somewhere safe shouldn't be that difficult :)

Oxygene 23 February 2021 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 1464647)
Config file name is not going to magically change when writing. It would be only annoying.

I personally have no need for such option in WinUAE, I just thought it might be useful to someone if added as additional button. I do find those options very useful in Cinema 4D (Save Incremental) and in FL Studio (Save New Version).

Anyway, you are the boss, so it's your decision.

Toni Wilen 24 February 2021 19:51

No new GUI buttons allowed unless it is really needed :)

Warning added. If saving config, file already exists and it is read-only: show yes/no warning dialog. No aborts, yes allows overwrite.

malko 24 February 2021 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxygene (Post 1464563)
Perhaps Toni could implement "Save Incremental" option like the one in the newer verions of Cinema 4D ie. an option that when saving automatically adds increasing number (counter) as a suffix to filename? Just a thought.

On my side I try to avoid such counter and prefer, even if longer, to append to the name a time stamp token (yyyymmddhhmmss).
Regarding the OP issue, a simple script to copy/replace the config with a safe backup at WinUAE loading could do the trick I think.

DamienD 25 February 2021 00:33

As mentioned though, when you override a configuration file then "configuration.backup" gets created of the version before the save.

Surely that's enough i.e. one fall back?

Personally though, I hate it that WinUAE even does that... if I was to screw up a config, it's not difficult to re-create really.

Toni Wilen 25 February 2021 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1465071)
As mentioned though, when you override a configuration file then "configuration.backup" gets created of the version before the save.

Surely that's enough i.e. one fall back?

Personally though, I hate it that WinUAE even does that... if I was to screw up a config, it's not difficult to re-create really.

Why? This is equal to "it does not work" question.

It is very quick (just a rename so nothing is copied) and practically invisible operation.

It can be difficult to re-create configs for example when you have multiple expansions configured. Not everyone boots basic WB or pre-configured games.

DamienD 25 February 2021 18:55

Some of my configs are quite complex Toni, but I know what settings I've used and can re-create easily in a minute maximum.

Plus, as you and I've already said, there's the "configuration.backup" file. So you've already got a fail safe, which I'm sure the OP didn't know about...

Surely someone is not silly enough to accidentally override a configuration, and then do it again hence destroying the above though?