English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Is it possible to play every Amiga game releases? A project to do just that! (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=112323)

Weasel Fierce 01 November 2022 16:00

Is it possible to play every Amiga game releases? A project to do just that!

Well no, probably not. Lemon Amiga says 4400 titles and I suspect Ill kick the bucket in another 40ish years.

But I can bloody well try!

So here is the dumb project:
I will try to play every Amiga game that is listed on the Lemon Amiga database. I will try to spend from 15 minutes to an hour on each game, depending on quality and pain tolerance. No skipping anything even if its poker or footie managers.
Games I only played on DOS or which I played many years ago must be replayed, games I have played within the last year Im not.

I will only do one version of each game and I will be skipping games I am not able to read (typically this means French or Polish).

I have decided to just document the progress in this thread since trying to do the entries both here and on the blog is getting a bit tiresome. Besides, it is much easier for people to follow and comment here.
Each game will get 2-3 lines of commentary here plus a 1-to-5 score based on how I felt about it.

This project obviously will not be completed 100% and there will be times it will come and go. Initially, I am just trying to get caught up to speed by picking off everything I've played in the last year or so.

You can check the rules here:
https://everydayamiga.posthaven.com/...ery-amiga-game

80s games posted so far:

Afterburner (Activision) - 1/5
Amegas - 2/5
Amiga Karate - 1/5
Archon - 2/5
Arkanoid - 4/5
Balance of power - 4/5
Battlechess - 3/5
Blood Money - 3/5
Bubble bobble - 4/5
Cabal - 3/5
Centerfold squares - 2/5
Chessmaster 2000 - 4/5
Crazy Cars - 2/5
Dogs of War - 2/5
FA18 Interceptor - 3/5
Face Off (Anco) - 2/5
Firepower - 3/5
Great Giana Sisters - 3/5
Hybris - 3/5
Katakis - 2/5
Kingdoms of England - 3/5
Kings Quest 1 - 3/5
Leisure suit Larry and the land of the lounge lizards - 3/5
Leisure suit Larry 2 - 2/5
Marble Madness - 3/5
Mindbusiness - 2/5
Monkey business - 1/5
P.O.W. - 2/5
Qix - 4/5
Rick Dangerous - 3/5
Rogue - 4/5
Running Man - 1/5
Shadow of the Beast - 2/5
Shanghai - 5/5
Silkworm - 3/5
Sim City - 3/5
Space Ace - 1/5
Strider - 1/5
Switchblade - 4/5
Test Drive - 2/5
Test Drive 2 - 2/5
Twylyte - 2/5
Wishbringer - 3/5
Xenon 2 - 3/5

90s games posted so far:

Addams Family - 3/5
Advanced Fruit Machine Simulator - 1/5
Alien 3 - 3/5
Alien Bash - 1/5
Alien Bash 2 - 2/5
Alien Breed - 4/5
Alien Breed 2 AGA - 5/5
Alien Breed 3D - 4/5
Alien Breed Special Edition - 4/5
Alien Breed Tower Assault - 4/5
Amnios - 2/5
Anarchy - 3/5
Armalyte - 2/5
Assassin - 3/5
Assassin Special Edition - 3/5
Awesome - 2/5
Banshee - 5/5
Battle Isle - 4/5
Black Dawn - 3/5
Black Tiger - 1/5
Black Viper AGA - 3/5
Body Blows AGA - 2/5
Body Blows Galactic AGA - 3/5
Breathless - 3/5
Cannon Fodder - 4/5
Cannon fodder 2 - 3/5
Cardiaxx - 2/5
Champions of Krynn - 4/5
Chuck Rock - 4/5
Civilization - 5/5
Color Buster - 4/5
Cytron - 3/5
Death knight of Krynn - 4/5
Deep Core - 3/5
Dennis AGA - 3/5
Disposable Hero - 3/5
Drag and drop - 4/5
Drag and drop deluxe - 4/5
Dragon Breed - 4/5
Dune - 4/5
Dune II: Battle for Arrakis - 4/5
Dyna Blaster - 4/5
E-Motion - 2/5
Extrial - 2/5
Eye of the Beholder - 4/5
Eye of the Beholder 2 - 4/5
Fears - 2/5
Fire and Ice - 4/5
First Samurai - 4/5
Flashback - 4/5
Ghosts N Goblins - 2/5
Gloom - 4/5
Gloom Deluxe - 4/5
Gods - 4/5
Golden Axe - 4/5
Heimdall 2 - 3/5
HeroQuest - 3/5
Hover Sprint - 2/5
Hugo på nye eventyr - 2/5
James Pond - 3/5
Lethal Weapon - 3/5
Metal Law - 3/5
Narc - 1/5
Nicky Boom - 3/5
Nitro - 2/5
Operation Stealth - 3/5
Pang - 4/5
Pool of Radiance - 4/5
Prehistorik - 2/5
Prey, an alien encounter - 2/5
Prince of Persia - 3/5
Project X - 3/5
Rick Dangerous 2 - 3/5
Risky Woods - 3/5
Ruff n Tumble - 4/5
Secret of Monkey Island - 5/5
Shadow of the Beast 2 - 3/5
Shadow of the Beast 3 - 3/5
Space Crusade - 4/5
Space Hulk - 4/5
Speedball 2 - 5/5
Star Control - 3/5
Street Fighter 2 - 3/5
Super Cars - 3/5
Super Cars 2 - 4/5
Super Cars 2 AGA - 4/5
Syndicate - 4/5
T-Racer - 2/5
Testament - 2/5
Transplant - 5/5
Turrican 3 - 5/5
Ugh! - 3/5
Venom Wing - 1/5
Virocop - 5/5
Walker - 3/5
Warlords - 5/5
Wings of Death - 3/5
Wings of Fury - 3/5
Yo! Joe! - 4/5
Z-Out - 2/5

Post 2000 games so far
Amiga Robbo - 2/5
Knightmare - 4/5
Magica - 5/5
Tinyus - 4/5
Wolfenstein 3D - 4/5

https://everydayamiga.posthaven.com/...scoring-system
How the game rating works.

Alternate game versions skipped:
OCS
Alien Breed 2, Black Viper, Body Blows, Body Blows Galactic, Denni, Heimdall 2, Virocop.

AGA
Eye of the Beholder, Eye of the Beholder 2

CDTV
Battle Chess, Prehistorik. Sim City.

CD32
Alien Breed 3D, Alien Breed Tower Assault, Banshee, Cannon Fodder, Chuck Rock, Death Mask, Deep Core, Dennis. Disposable Hero, Fears, Fire and Ice, Flashback Update, Gloom, Heimdall 2, Speedball 2, Syndicate.

Expansion disks
HeroQuest: Return of the Witch Lord, Syndicate: The American Revolt.

Non 68K
Battle for Wesnoth.

Weasel Fierce 01 November 2022 16:02

Also for fun, I am going to track "completion" rates as I go.
This is based more around having experienced the whole game rather than challenge specifically. I was never that good at video games and that hasn't improved with time :)

Im going to use a simple points system here:
Watching a longplay of the game, 1 point
(no skipping around!)

Completing the game with a walkthrough or using cheats/trainers, 2 points

Completing the game on your own, 3 points.

(using a guide for games that still require skill such as an RPG counts as 3 points, adventure games where a guide essentially solves the game counts as 2 points).
(You CAN count completions from back in the day, they don't have to be recent)

Some games don't really have ways to complete them, so they can't be ranked.

If you want to play along, look at the list of games in the first post and tally up your score. I am currently at 52 points (counting only games already marked off for this challenge)

Completed legit:
Alien breed 2 AGA
Assassin
Balance of Power (won a game on the complete difficulty mode)
Battle Isle (all missions beaten)
Champions of Krynn
Death knight of Krynn
Civilization (first three difficulties)
Dune
Dune 2 (Harkonnen only)
Heimdall 2
Magica
Pool of Radiance (multiple times)
Shanghai (won a game)
Space Hulk
Street Fighter 2 (Guile)
Transplant (wrapped around to level 1. Multiple times)
Turrican 3 (multiple times)
Warlords (the challenge in the manual where you start with the Sirians and beat every enemy on max difficulty)
Wolfenstein 3D (third difficulty, all episodes)

Completed with a guide:
Secret of Monkey Island
Leisure suit Larry

Completed with cheats or trainers:
Alien Breed 3D, Cabal, Gloom

Watched a long play
Arkanoid, Eye of the Beholder, Eye of the Beholder 2, Rick Dangerous, Running Man, Space Ace, Strider

Total score 74

Megalomaniac 01 November 2022 16:06

Yikes, 4400 hours would be basically half a year of nonstop playing - to get it done within 40 years would still be over 2 hours a week until then. And they'll add more in that time, new homebrew games get added every now and then. And who knows whether WinUAE will even work on the 256 Terabyte RAM 50Ghz 128-core PCs of 2062. And try explaining to a heart surgeon in 2050 why you're smuggling your emulator into hospital to play (3 random games from LemonAmiga) Bouncing Bill, Cedric & the Lost Sceptre and SWOS 95/96....

Agreed about the Team 17 Special Editions - all 3 are probably better than the full-price equivalents, though gradually by less and less.

Weasel Fierce 01 November 2022 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megalomaniac (Post 1572311)
Yikes, 4400 hours would be basically half a year of nonstop playing - to get it done within 40 years would still be over 2 hours a week until then. And they'll add more in that time, new homebrew games get added every now and then. And who knows whether WinUAE will even work on the 256 Terabyte RAM 50Ghz 128-core PCs of 2062. And try explaining to a heart surgeon in 2050 why you're smuggling your emulator into hospital to play (3 random games from LemonAmiga) Bouncing Bill, Cedric & the Lost Sceptre and SWOS 95/96....

Agreed about the Team 17 Special Editions - all 3 are probably better than the full-price equivalents, though gradually by less and less.

Yeah, I imagine at some point I will get so fed up by shitty pac man clones that Ill throw the Amiga out of the window and get sectioned so the actual time frame won't matter :)

TCD 01 November 2022 16:44

Why only 4,400? Why not 7,497 (and growing)?

Weasel Fierce 01 November 2022 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCD (Post 1572322)

I tend to use Lemon Amiga more, so I was gonna go by their database which says "over 4400". I didn't realize there was that much of a difference. I wonder if its PD/Aminet stuff that Lemon doesn't seem to include as much.

edit: Hall also includes a lot of unreleased titles and compilations. I think what I will do is rely on Lemon, but if I manage to finish out a particular year, Ill check Hall of Light for anything additional.

Seiya 01 November 2022 21:43

in that database there is also the same games in various language (italian, English, French, German), some PD, some Freeware, ecc

Amigajay 01 November 2022 23:27

Whilst making my CD32 compilation of the A-Z of Amiga games, i’ve finally reached adding 3000 unique Amiga games, with another 250ish not running yet.

Thus does not include pd, sw, lw, aga duplicates or data-disks just unique (floppy ocs/aga) game titles, with MIA added i could possibly see unique commercial Amiga games hitting 3500 but thats probably the higher total limit imo.

Weasel Fierce 02 November 2022 00:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amigajay (Post 1572395)
Whilst making my CD32 compilation of the A-Z of Amiga games, i’ve finally reached adding 3000 unique Amiga games, with another 250ish not running yet.

Thus does not include pd, sw, lw, aga duplicates or data-disks just unique (floppy ocs/aga) game titles, with MIA added i could possibly see unique commercial Amiga games hitting 3500 but thats probably the higher total limit imo.

That sounds pretty plausible I think.
At the end of the day, a line has to be drawn somewhere :)

d4rk3lf 02 November 2022 07:36

I'd suggest you to reconsider the rule of: 1 hour per game.

There's lot's of games that you will see all about them within first 15 minutes.
Why torture yourself for a full hour, especially if it's some shitty game? :)

Daff 02 November 2022 08:18

12910 unique games in the Amiga Games List.
http://obligement.free.fr/listejeuxa...miga-stats.php

With data disks, editors, interpreters, they are more.
And with compilations, they are even more.

I played a lot on (almost exclusively) Amiga from 1988 to 2002, and less since. I think I played/launched 8000-9000 games.

So Weasel Fierce, is it possible to play *almost all* Amiga games but life is short, better use your free time to do something more useful for you and for other people you could help.

donnie 02 November 2022 09:08

You do you! And you got one hell of a job in-front of you!

I would never do it. There are way to many games on amiga that are absolute dogshit..

1hour rule seems kinda dumb. In general, a good game normally demands more than an hour of your time just getting to know the game, this is more true now than back then on amiga. While it takes a minute to figure out a game is total dog shit. You are going to spend a lot of time with shitty barely functional games.

If 80% of everything is mediocre to shit. Then you will spend 3600 hours on games that are mediocre to absolute dogshit. That is almost 2 years worth of labour. A lot of time to watch paint dry.

And then you will not spend enough time with the games that you might actually like, and have fun with.

If i had the time i would focus on the 500 highest rated games on aga and ocs, whith the ambition to beat them all.

But like i said, you do you!

Weasel Fierce 02 November 2022 15:11

Good call folks, the 1 hour rule might be dumb. Ill adjust it as the game seems to warrant and just keep it as a rough rule of thumb :)

Thank you for the warning calls, encouragement etc.

Don't worry gang, I am not quitting my job or neglecting my family to do this. It's just a silly project but it'll be fun to see how far I can actually make it.

Weasel Fierce 02 November 2022 15:46

Todays updates:

Alien Breed (the original one) 4/5.
This could have been a 5 but the difficulty is just too brutal. My run this time ended due to running out of ammo in a bad spot.

Cabal 3/5.
Its a pretty good arcade conversion and the game is satisfying to play, but it does get a bit monotonous to grind through. Folks might disagree with the score here.

Switchblade 4/5
An excellent game that I hadnt played more than a couple of minutes of. It has a nice element of exploration to it as well as good atmosphere. The controls are very stiff though and prevent it from being truly great. Its possible this might only be a 3 over extended play but I did spend a good hour on it last night and want to play it again.

I am also adding what titles are skipped to the posts.

So far the skips are all alternate versions:

Alien Breed 2 (OCS)

Alien Breed 3D (CD32)

Banshee (CD32)

Gloom (CD32)

Syndicate (CD32)

Battle Chess (CDTV)

Predseda 02 November 2022 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCD (Post 1572322)

Lemon only lists unique games, no compilations, no unreleased games, datadisks ets. HOL has of lot of those. If you compare a similar sample, the diference is not as big.

jotd 02 November 2022 18:49

I like exhaustive projects like that. You may discover hidden gems. But if you stumble on a real turd, I suggest that you skip it quickly.

I tried that stunt many years ago (trying to play all whdload-patched games) but stopped at letter X.

Or was it A ? :)

TCD 02 November 2022 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predseda (Post 1572571)
Lemon only lists unique games, no compilations, no unreleased games, datadisks ets. HOL has of lot of those. If you compare a similar sample, the diference is not as big.

Just for fun I had a quick search and compilations + unreleased + data disks is around 1000 entries on HOL. There's quite a few PD, homebrew games and duplicates (due to release name or language) in those left. So yeah, if you only want to play commercially released games it's basically the same.

I should have made it more clear that it was meant a bit tongue in cheek ;) I think most of us might have tried to play 'all' Amiga games at one point and like jotd just mentioned... failed :D

Weasel Fierce 02 November 2022 19:26

Yeah, the process of discovery is basically the point of it. A lot of cruft and some gems I had never even heard of is the goal :)

I appreciate all the comments and interest folks.

Megalomaniac 02 November 2022 19:57

Interesting to think about how long you need to play a game to decide whether it's any good - especially if you don't have the manual to hand. Civilization took me a lot more than an hour to understand, yet it became one of my favourites, whereas I loved Body Blows at first but it wore off fairly quickly. You might spot jerky scrolling and poor collision detection pretty quickly, but sometimes a game has charm and imagination to offset these issues, whereas AI flaws or a bad difficulty curve usually reveal themselves much later.

I think if a game is similar to stuff you normally like, but does it in a different way or ignores some of the conventions, it might take longer to form an opinion. With that in mind, I wonder what you'll make of Super League Manager if you hate football management games - it plays as if the designers have heard of the idea of a computer game where you manage a football team, but have never played one before so have no idea what they're usually like. A real wild card.

Weasel Fierce 02 November 2022 20:31

There's definitely going to be some moments like that and I suspect there will be a few where figuring out the game is basically a lost cause, if a manual doesnt exist online.

The two genres I hate (poker and footie managers) I am probably gonna start with what seems to be some of the best the amiga got, and then use that as a baseline for what to expect.