English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Using a Compact Flash card on a600/a1200 PCMCIA (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=30757)

tomcat666 24 August 2006 07:57

I have a CF -> PCMCIA Adapter on my A1200 and only 3 out of 5 CF cards work with it. 2 of them don't even get recognised by the Amiga, but all of them work perfectly fine in the PC... So it seems some CF cards are a problem...

Tomaz

lopos2000 25 August 2006 09:06

It's in the 'Zone'.

Smiley 25 August 2006 11:21

Isnt that software the EasyADF software you get from Amigakit.

Rod_cl: Thats software is for use with a pcmcia cf reader and not an IDE>CF adapter

lopos2000 25 August 2006 11:27

Don't know. I got this software a year or so ago with my CF adapter.

amigakit.com 25 August 2006 14:00

@Smiley
Dont have access to Zone files so hope EasyADF or any of our other original software is not in the zone.

lopos2000 25 August 2006 14:48

It's not EasyADF. Can't you read? What is EasyADF anyway?

Crown 29 August 2006 15:42

Using a Compact Flashcard on a600/a1200

Thanx to information I could find on several Amiga dedicated forums, I finally got around buying a PCMCIA card that enables me to add a Compact Flash card to my beloved A1200. :)

Installing the software was fairly simple and all I had to do was plugin my 32megs CF card into the slot. I wanted to transfer the content of an old HD and it was a pain to swap the card as it got full real fast.

So I bought a 512 megs (8X) from Lexar Media. When plugged on a Pegasos/PC it is automaticaly detected so I could FAT format it without any troubles.

Sadly, when I connect it to my A1200 and boot the machine the WB will load OK but freezes at the end. Leaving me with a WB on which the mouse doesn't move/cannot click anywhere. The only way to solve the prob is of course to remove the Card.

I have no idea whatsoever on what's the origin of my troubles. Is it that I should edit the CF0 device? What should I change then?

I really hope some of you will be able to help as I am really lost.

Cheers dudes!

crown/cryptoburners

lopos2000 29 August 2006 17:16

Not so long ago I uploaded my software I used on my A1200 to install a CF adapter. It works fine with my Scan Disk 250MB (XP & A1200). Maybe you download it and try it out.

Crown 29 August 2006 17:41

I have tried that one and I get the same result.

Did you change any values in the CF0 device?

lopos2000 29 August 2006 17:47

No, I haven't. I also haven't formatted my CF card. When I got it I plugged it in my card reader and it was automatically detected.

Crown 30 August 2006 09:33

yep. that only works with my 32 megs.

booooring.

DanE 27 September 2006 18:47

I seem to be having a slight problem with my cf adaper,

Following a total drive failure (Own fault for trying to change filesystem) i am currently restoring all of my games from my pc to my 1200 using a cf adapter.

It will start copying and then for no reason stop, The "Copying" box is still there but the hd lights not flashing, I can restart the copying by removing the cf adapter and then replacing it and it then carries on where it left off.

Im copying stuff now as i type and its stopped twice.

Anyone shed any light on this??

Zetr0 27 September 2006 21:49

is this IDE or pcmcia DanE ?

DanE 28 September 2006 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zetr0
is this IDE or pcmcia DanE ?

Sorry forgot to mention its a Pcmcia adapter and 512mb cf card both made by Kingston Technology.

Peter 12 November 2006 20:35

Hi all - I just bought a 1 gig Dane Elec CF card to transfer my games from PC to A1200 - installed the files required but it wouldn't work until I took my Hawk 8 Meg RAM expansion out of the Amiga - I guess the card is just not PCMCIA friendly - anyone else experiencing problems may want to take their trapdoor cards out and see if they have better results.

Can I make this card friendly does anyone know?
Maybe an onboard jumper or disable at boot option exists...?

Adropac2 12 November 2006 23:45

I use the PCMCIA software you get when buying from Amigakit and it has worked very well for me.As well as buying from Amigakit , i also bought a PCMCIA adaptor from ebay - i was a little worried that it might need to be a certain type of adaptor but it seems any will do.I use a 512mb Kingston as well as another that i can't think of right now but been lucky in that everything works just dandy.Tried the software in both a normal WB install and classicWB.

Zetr0 13 November 2006 00:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter
Hi all - I just bought a 1 gig Dane Elec CF card to transfer my games from PC to A1200 - installed the files required but it wouldn't work until I took my Hawk 8 Meg RAM expansion out of the Amiga - I guess the card is just not PCMCIA friendly - anyone else experiencing problems may want to take their trapdoor cards out and see if they have better results.

Can I make this card friendly does anyone know?
Maybe an onboard jumper or disable at boot option exists...?

Heys peter, there is a chance that you can but you will lose memory, As the old Hawk nnd gastiener 8MB boards use the 4MB of memory mapping space dedicated to PCMCIA the way arround this is to reduce the amount of ram on the board ie to 4mb, as the boards are very similar you can do this with the jumpers on the card.

the better way would be to plumb for either an apollo 030 card or a blizzard MK3 or greater 030 card. there are both good and bad points for chosing either of those cards so let me state that if all you want is a stable 030 that is CHEAP and pcmcia friendly and can handle upto 64MB ram Apollo is the way to go.

Other will swear by thier Blizzards and i dont blame them either for i am sure they have valid reasons, I have owned Blizzards and Apollo's both have merits and drawbacks.. have a search on these fair boards there was a thread about it recently.

but yes a little OT there sorry about that. just config the memory jumpers to 4MB change the memory stick if you want to as well and it should allow access for the PCMCIA to address its memory space.

Peter 13 November 2006 01:20

Hi, thanks for that - I will give that a go - which jumper on the board would I change - there are three - LK1, LK2 and Lk3... at least it means that I wouldn't have to take the board out everytime I wanted to transfer data - just change the jumper - what did you mean by "change the memory stick as well?

Do you know what the other jumper on the board does - it says Int/Cpu ?

Sorry to pick your brains but in the past I have had Blizzard boards and never had problems with PCMCIA trouble - I am on the lookout for an 030 board - would like to try an Apollo as I've never had one... can you still get them or is it just a question of checking Ebay...

Peter

Magno Boots 13 November 2006 01:36

I believe that Zetro is correct.

My PCMCIA flash card works fine with my 030 Wizard accelerator (believed to be Apollo alternative) with 32meg piggyback.

I use the Kingston card also with no problems at all.

Zetr0 14 November 2006 00:29

Configuring Memory on Hawk Expansion Board

Heys pete,

the Hawk expansion board requires jumpers LK1, LK2 and LK3 to be configured in such a way that the expansion board can set the amount of ram (1,2,4 or 8MB ram). this differs from Accelerator boards that generally map their own memory automatically.

As a note Blizzards can map upto 128MB ram and if you add a SCSI module a further 128MB ram can be installed *total 256MB*
Apollos accelerators can only map upto 32MB but you can add another SIMM socket and add a further 32MB *total 64MB* in a piggyback like magno's.

LK4 refers to the Int/Cpu jumper, this is a pre-thought by AmiTek for they planned to release 28mhz 020 cards (original A1200 020 only runs at 14mhz) . the Internal Cpu jumper turns on or off the A1200 020 CPU *setting this to on will probly result in the A1200 not booting*

so here are the LK1, LK2 and LK3 settings for memory

to configure the board for 8MB

LK1 = open, close, close
LK2 = close, close, open
LK3 = open, close, close

to configure the board for 4MB

LK1 = close, close, open
LK2 = close, close, open
LK3 = open, close, close

to configure the board for 2MB

LK1 = open, close, close
LK2 = open, close, close