English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   A1200 Freezing? (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=103293)

blade002 28 July 2020 06:24

A1200 Freezing?

Heya guys, just a quick one. After I use the demo version of the latest IBrowse on my A1200 and then go into a game thereafter it appears to make my machine freeze up part way into a game.

I have tried to reset the machine and play a game without using IBrowse first or going online and it doesn't seem to happen if I do it in that order. I have done a memory test with the programs I have found on Aminet and one crashes when I try to run it but other 2 that I found run and find no errors with the memory.

Is this is a known problem from using IBrowse or could it be something else?

My config is fully recapped A1200, Blizzard 030@50, 32 Meg Fast and EasyNet Pro PCMCIA Card.

-Acid- 28 July 2020 10:08

WhdLoad game by any chance? If it is try stopping your TCP/IP stack before you start the game.

blade002 28 July 2020 10:21

Oh ok... yeah it was a WHDLoad game, they all were and I don't think I did stop my stack before starting them. Seems to be a known problem yes?

Predseda 28 July 2020 10:45

Yes, running TCP/IP freezes WHDLoad games.

indigolemon 28 July 2020 11:02

Yes, TCP/IP stacks cause interrupts which, if not handled, will cause the game to crap out as it doesn't know what to do with them.

Look in S:, you'll find WHDLoad.prefs - open that, and there are lines for ExecuteStartup and ExecuteCleanup.

If you uncomment these (remove the ; ) these scripts will be run as WHDLoad starts a game, and after WHDLoad quits a game.

These scripts are already in S: and have lines for stopping and restarting your TCP/IP stack etc automatically - which makes the whole thing hassle free :D

blade002 28 July 2020 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predseda (Post 1416590)
Yes, running TCP/IP freezes WHDLoad games.

I've never had this problem before so it's very interesting to learn this. Well I wouldn't have had this problem in the past I suppose when I had my Amiga online because I last had it online in around 2000 through dial-up and there wasn't any WHDLoad.

Thank you for informing me :great

Quote:

Originally Posted by indigolemon (Post 1416595)
Yes, TCP/IP stacks cause interrupts which, if not handled, will cause the game to crap out as it doesn't know what to do with them.

Look in S:, you'll find WHDLoad.prefs - open that, and there are lines for ExecuteStartup and ExecuteCleanup.

If you uncomment these (remove the ; ) these scripts will be run as WHDLoad starts a game, and after WHDLoad quits a game.

These scripts are already in S: and have lines for stopping and restarting your TCP/IP stack etc automatically - which makes the whole thing hassle free :D

Awesome information, I really needed to know what was going on here because after all the lock downs, recession, stressors of life..etc my A1200 crapping itself would have been the last thing I needed because it's one of the only outlets/interests I have left.

Would never want my A1200 to be on it's way out.

Cheers to all of you!! :great:great:spin:spin:spin:spin:spin