English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Is Batman the Movie for the Atari ST the best development from Ocean? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=113944)

Don_Adan 17 March 2023 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlfrsilver (Post 1603210)
The file Music.iff is 80kb (crunched).

Why do You think that only Music.iff contains soundtrack for this game? This game has 5 music files, much more than 300kB in total. Check WT page or Exotica:

https://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Batman_(game)

Don_Adan 17 March 2023 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFou! (Post 1603205)
wasn't WEC LE MAN also planned?

It would be interesting to have more info on this subject too.

Check this wideo from 4 minutes 30 secs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lFI88Wu1OI

dlfrsilver 17 March 2023 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don_Adan (Post 1603213)
Why do You think that only Music.iff contains soundtrack for this game? This game has 5 music files, much more than 300kB in total. Check WT page or Exotica:

https://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Batman_(game)

The link is empty Don. But ok.... The Amiga 2 Disks version had enough space to get the 5 screens missing.

dlfrsilver 17 March 2023 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don_Adan (Post 1603216)
Check this wideo from 4 minutes 30 secs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lFI88Wu1OI

We can see the pictures i have preserved of Wec le mans 16 bits.

Don_Adan 17 March 2023 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlfrsilver (Post 1603217)
The link is empty Don. But ok.... The Amiga 2 Disks version had enough space to get the 5 screens missing.

Check now, seems to be fixed. Yes, 2 disks version has enough space, but not 1 disk version.

Don_Adan 17 March 2023 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlfrsilver (Post 1603218)
We can see the pictures i have preserved of Wec le mans 16 bits.

Good, i always want to rip Amiga music from this game. Anyway it looks like better/correct name for this soundformat is perhaps Ocean player not Special FX. Because was used mostly in Ocean's Amiga games.

dlfrsilver 17 March 2023 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don_Adan (Post 1603221)
Check now, seems to be fixed. Yes, 2 disks version has enough space, but not 1 disk version.

My point above. Or, Ocean should had used longtracks, like a game as Xenon 2 1 disk version.

dlfrsilver 17 March 2023 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don_Adan (Post 1603223)
Good, i always want to rip Amiga music from this game. Anyway it looks like better/correct name for this soundformat is perhaps Ocean player not Special FX. Because was used mostly in Ocean's Amiga games.

There is no music. Only the images i upped remains.

DanScott 17 March 2023 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlfrsilver (Post 1603206)
I know because i know some ex-ocean member :)

I knew one of the coders on Batman (my desk was next to his at Eurocom), unfortunately he passed away in 2013

dlfrsilver 17 March 2023 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanScott (Post 1603227)
I knew one of the coders on Batman (my desk was next to his at Eurocom), unfortunately he passed away in 2013

Which Batman do you talk about ? Ah ok, Bernie Drummond of Batman 1986 fame ?

DanScott 17 March 2023 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlfrsilver (Post 1603229)
Which Batman do you talk about ? Ah ok, Bernie Drummond of Batman 1986 fame ?

No.. Allan Short

dlfrsilver 17 March 2023 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanScott (Post 1603233)
No.. Allan Short

Ho wait. You talk about Batman the movie Amiga, he was part of the 3 coders team.

DanScott 17 March 2023 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlfrsilver (Post 1603235)
Ho wait. You talk about Batman the movie Amiga, he was part of the 3 coders team.

Yes, I'm talking about the game this thread is about ;)

TCD 17 March 2023 14:20

I think I'll just change the 'Amiga original game' from 'unknown' to 'yes' at this point ;)

gimbal 17 March 2023 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanScott (Post 1603237)
Yes, I'm talking about the game this thread is about ;)

Hey hey hey. Discussion forums host discussions, discussions go all over the place :)

ImmortalA1000 17 March 2023 16:51

I can't remember what year WEC Le Mans came out but Ocean never used this 2.5D routine again. Chase HQ used the Continental Circus game engine, S.C.I. used something new. Can't think of any other 2.5D Ocean games except Burning Rubber which is even later and IIRC not on the ST anyway.

Gary Bracey couldn't tell me why the Batman driving routines were not used for Chase HQ in 2019 when I asked him but in ZZAP!64 and Amiga magazine they sent a completely different screenshot for Chase HQ preview (probably Dpaint mock up) and Ocean specifically told the magazines it would use an enhanced version of the Batman routines. To be fair he also couldn't tell my why Terra Cresta never appeared on the Amstrad so it's not a conspiracy type situation :)

I think Batman is the only good 'ST port job' because the ST routines were so well programmed to start with and it isn't 12.5% slower on Amiga like most port jobs, but it doesn't really look much faster and both games are 16+16 colours with a palette split for the status panel at the bottom so that's not an issue either.

Would be interesting to compare Batman level 2 on the ST with footage of Lotus II for the ST and compare framerates.

dlfrsilver 17 March 2023 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 (Post 1603255)
I can't remember what year WEC Le Mans came out but Ocean never used this 2.5D routine again. Chase HQ used the Continental Circus game engine, S.C.I. used something new. Can't think of any other 2.5D Ocean games except Burning Rubber which is even later and IIRC not on the ST anyway.

Gary Bracey couldn't tell me why the Batman driving routines were not used for Chase HQ in 2019 when I asked him but in ZZAP!64 and Amiga magazine they sent a completely different screenshot for Chase HQ preview (probably Dpaint mock up) and Ocean specifically told the magazines it would use an enhanced version of the Batman routines. To be fair he also couldn't tell my why Terra Cresta never appeared on the Amstrad so it's not a conspiracy type situation :)

I think Batman is the only good 'ST port job' because the ST routines were so well programmed to start with and it isn't 12.5% slower on Amiga like most port jobs, but it doesn't really look much faster and both games are 16+16 colours with a palette split for the status panel at the bottom so that's not an issue either.

Would be interesting to compare Batman level 2 on the ST with footage of Lotus II for the ST and compare framerates.

Chase HQ is a shit job done by Teque London. Batman the Movie was done internally at Ocean.

Mike Lamb was a great coder. So was Jon O'Brien. He did wonders on Z80 computers.

saimon69 17 March 2023 18:48

Wish had coder-fu to take the routines of Batman and make the Chase HQ we missed

Don_Adan 17 March 2023 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlfrsilver (Post 1603226)
There is no music. Only the images i upped remains.

Disk images is enough to rip Jonathan Dunn music. Or this version has no music like other unfinished/unpublished Ocean Amiga game Renegade III?

mcgeezer 17 March 2023 20:44

I decided to have a look at the game on both the Amiga and ST. Amiga is using the blitter to draw everything in place of ST CPU routines. There's nothing else over and above the blitter that is specifically being used on the Amiga hardware leading me to believe the same code base was used on both machines with the lead machine being the ST.

The same general technique is used for other games around 1989, Xenon 2 springs to mind.