English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.ClassicWB (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   request: non 7-zipped ClassicWB... (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=15396)

rattus 29 September 2004 18:06

request: non 7-zipped ClassicWB...

It has come to my attention that ClassicWB is only distributed in 7zip format. This is a problem for Mac users since we do not have 7zip support yet :( could somebody please put together a regular zipped version?

Bloodwych 29 September 2004 18:52

I've had lots of complaints about 7-zip and I can't believe it hasn't been ported to other formats yet. It has the highest compression ratio and is ideal for powerful CPU's and dialup users, yet no one has ported a decompression program? Strange.

I was trying to save Rck some bandwidth and me considerable upload time on dialup, but it's causing more problems. Isn't there x86 emulators available for the mac?

Looks like the next release will have to be a solid RAR archive for other platform peeps. ZIP just doesn't compress enough. I'll try and upload new packages soon rattus, but it may be quicker if someone can help her out. :)

It may be worth waiting until I upload however, as the new packages will contain some minor fixes. ;) For those who've already installed the last release, I'll list the main fixes so you can perform them yourself.

Amiga1992 29 September 2004 20:21

Yes this is a bastard, I don't think 7zip is available for Amiga either, so this is not very Amiga-friendly. Don't use RAR either, use normal ZIP, I think RCK wouldn't mind if it means it can flawlessly be extracted across a wider range of platforms, among which the Amiga is, IMO, the most important one! It's not THAT big anyway.

Bloodwych 29 September 2004 21:20

You're probably right Akira. I'll have a think when it's upload time again. :)

MSC 11 October 2004 23:34

Rattus,

Did you get sorted, or are you still wanting a zipped version of ClassicWB?
If so, let me know which version and PM me with your e-mail address. I will re-pack and send it to you.

:great

Mark

Bloodwych 12 October 2004 11:56

Great of you to offer MSC, but hopefully now there is no need.

The new Packages are up in ".rar" format. :)

I can extract these on my A1200 which also has rar 3.0 support thanks to Aminet. Stuck with 2.x format for the packages just to be on the safe side however. Everyone should have access now.

rattus 12 October 2004 13:27

ah, I forgot about this thread!

sorry to be a trouble, but thank-you very much for re-packaging it :D I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates it here...

mtb 27 May 2005 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodwych
I've had lots of complaints about 7-zip and I can't believe it hasn't been ported to other formats yet. It has the highest compression ratio and is ideal for powerful CPU's and dialup users, yet no one has ported a decompression program? Strange.

I was trying to save Rck some bandwidth and me considerable upload time on dialup, but it's causing more problems. Isn't there x86 emulators available for the mac?

Looks like the next release will have to be a solid RAR archive for other platform peeps. ZIP just doesn't compress enough. I'll try and upload new packages soon rattus, but it may be quicker if someone can help her out. :)

It may be worth waiting until I upload however, as the new packages will contain some minor fixes. ;) For those who've already installed the last release, I'll list the main fixes so you can perform them yourself.

I bump this thread since i discovered that 7zip has been ported unofficially to many platform ( as a stupid i only looked at the main page :( ).

I had this problem too ( but 7zip worked with linux under wine on x86 so i've solved it ), but here there are native mac, linux, source and java versions.

Bloodwych 28 May 2005 21:35

Thanks for the info mtb, but now I'm on broadband I guess this isn't the issue it used to be. It's great to see the 7zip format becoming a little more cross platform though! :D