English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   MarketPlace (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   after a 4gb 2.5" hard drive (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=35115)

CU_AMiGA 27 February 2008 15:15

after a 4gb 2.5" hard drive

anyone have one of these?!

BinoX 27 February 2008 15:23

closest thing I have to that is a 20GB I'm afraid

davideo 27 February 2008 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by BinoX (Post 398444)
closest thing I have to that is a 20GB I'm afraid

Would you like to part with it? :agree

Dave G :cool

pbareges 27 February 2008 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by CU_AMiGA (Post 398442)

just buy a 4gb sandisk cf and plug it through cf2ide adapter...(it's likely to be cheaper and more reliable than finding a real 4gb ide hd)

jmmijo 27 February 2008 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbareges (Post 398463)
just buy a 4gb sandisk cf and plug it through cf2ide adapter...(it's likely to be cheaper and more reliable than finding a real 4gb ide hd)

and it should run much quieter and cooler too ;)

twizzle 27 February 2008 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by CU_AMiGA (Post 398442)

3.25 is the closest i have ?

i`ll swap it for the 2.1 you have in there:D

i am going down to torquay this friday evening, so if you want it i can meet you in the services at 7pm.

CU_AMiGA 27 February 2008 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbareges (Post 398463)

i was gonna go that route but heard some reliability problems with cf (not cloding certain files, etc)

pbareges 28 February 2008 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by CU_AMiGA (Post 398546)
i was gonna go that route but heard some reliability problems with cf (not cloding certain files, etc)

has it been debated somewhere on eab? i'm not english native so i'm not sure of what you mean by cloding...so far i've been using sandisk 4gb without any problem..going through eab forums you will find what are the interface/cf cards working...the things i would suggest you to focus on to improve compatibility : sandisk are very good (avoid clones, i had one it was a total mess: r/w errors all over the place), the lower cf buffer the better (ideally you want the 128kbytes buffer - that's what i found with old sandisk 4gb cf), you have to set your hdtoolbox maxtransfer field to this size (1fe00) for all partitions created.

PS : also i had some issues with jst old installs not working ...i think this is because jst relies on workbench loading routines bugged (worked with regular hd but not cf??)...the way i solved it is by adding systempatch tool in my startup-sequence (a fix for a lot of os 3.0/3.1 known bugs)

CU_AMiGA 28 February 2008 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbareges (Post 398648)
has it been debated somewhere on eab? i'm not english native so i'm not sure of what you mean by cloding...so far i've been using sandisk 4gb without any problem..going through eab forums you will find what are the interface/cf cards working...the things i would suggest you to focus on to improve compatibility : sandisk are very good (avoid clones, i had one it was a total mess: r/w errors all over the place), the lower cf buffer the better (ideally you want the 128kbytes buffer - that's what i found with old sandisk 4gb cf), you have to set your hdtoolbox maxtransfer field to this size (1fe00) for all partitions created.

PS : also i had some issues with jst old installs not working ...i think this is because jst relies on workbench loading routines bugged (worked with regular hd but not cf??)...the way i solved it is by adding systempatch tool in my startup-sequence (a fix for a lot of os 3.0/3.1 known bugs)

lol i meant copying not cloding!! (where did i get that from). ok do you get any trouble loading/running certain files with your cf at all?

pbareges 02 March 2008 19:17

not any!

as i said you have to find one with low buffer (128kbytes=1fe00) and set it as the maxtransfer partition setting in hdtoolbox...this should work like a charm...some buggy os functions may affect jst old installs but you can solve it by installing systempatch on your system.