English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Nostalgia & memories (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   "Hunter HD" - Fan Remake & nostalgic discussion of a classic Amiga game :) (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=76593)

Cherno 19 January 2015 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil79 (Post 998396)
Do you have a link to the latest build? As the OP is the old one

Cheers

I haven't uploaded a newer one yet. I want to have a number of things in before releasing a new version that shows real improvement, otherwise people will get tired of seeing the same kind of game over and over again and lose interest, and interest and criticism is what keeps a fan project like this going ;)

Neil79 19 January 2015 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherno (Post 998426)
I haven't uploaded a newer one yet. I want to have a number of things in before releasing a new version that shows real improvement, otherwise people will get tired of seeing the same kind of game over and over again and lose interest, and interest and criticism is what keeps a fan project like this going ;)

Yeh no worries, let me know when it's ready so I can announce it to the retro community :great

Cherno 21 January 2015 11:29

Just found this documentary-style video about the Origins of Open World Gaming, which also mentions Hunter :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdV_2svrDVc

jimmy2x2x 21 January 2015 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherno (Post 998426)
...people will get tired of seeing the same kind of game over and over again and lose interest, and interest and criticism is what keeps a fan project like this going ;)

Very insightful!

If more people understood this, more would be created ;)

Cherno 21 January 2015 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy2x2x (Post 998827)
Very insightful!

If more people understood this, more would be created ;)

Nevertheless I have decided to create a Call of Duty-clone instead, because I think that is is innovative and will bring new ideas to the genre :laughing

Cherno 28 January 2015 10:31

Sorry for the lack of updates, I had to redo the character controller and after that was done I somehow broke my vehicle physics which I couldn't find the solution after countless attempts till I finally found a workaround.

Cherno 04 February 2015 23:34

I made good progress the last several days. More buildings with interiors, including the Headquarter; Modeled some props, furniture and terrain objects; Added a zoom function to the aiming feature; The missile boat now fires guided missiles with a little pixelated particle effect trailing behind them :) Oh, and I added an animated flagpole, fluttering in the wind :) All vehicles and weapons now take their data from XML files that are loaded at game start.

Currently I'm implementing a day/night cycle.

gimbal 05 February 2015 16:53

Youtube videos or it didn't happen.

Cherno 12 February 2015 23:25

Death takes a ride... ;)

http://cherno.lima-city.de/hunter/deathtakesaride.png

Cherno 19 February 2015 03:14

Current task: Coding a lock-on system for the missile launcher on the missile boat. about 75% done :)

Also, some work in progress models.

http://cherno.lima-city.de/hunter/006.jpg
http://cherno.lima-city.de/hunter/007.jpg

Vot 19 February 2015 03:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherno (Post 1004839)
Current task: Coding a lock-on system for the missile launcher on the missile boat. about 75% done :)

Also, some work in progress models.

http://cherno.cwsurf.de/hunter/006.jpg
http://cherno.cwsurf.de/hunter/007.jpg


Great work.. Love hunter will have to download the work in progress and check it out...

Cherno 19 February 2015 03:30

Cool. Just be aware that the version currently uploaded is a first effort to gartner interest ;) In the meantime, I have added a lot of things, but haven't released a new version so far because it still needs some tuning.

Neil79 19 February 2015 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherno (Post 1004842)
Cool. Just be aware that the version currently uploaded is a first effort to gartner interest ;) In the meantime, I have added a lot of things, but haven't released a new version so far because it still needs some tuning.

:bowdown

Cherno 02 March 2015 18:34

Excuse the lack of progress reports, I'm currently trying to tackle the streaming ob world objects, which is a completely new thing to me and progress is very slow (partly because it's also not much fun and also pretty complicated). You see, with a fairly big game world (nearly 15 kmĀ² / 10.5 square miles), with lots of things like buildings, vehicles, trees and whatnot, it's very resource-intensive to have it all "there" at the same time. This is why open world games like Skyrim or Fallout stream objects in and out of virtual existence while the player moves through the world. The world is divided into chunks or cells, and only the objects in cells near the player's current position are actually fully "there" with their models, AI, physics and so on, while the vast rest only exists in memory.

gimbal 02 March 2015 18:55

Do you (want to) have overhangs such as caves? Otherwise you could employ the good old heightmap trick to get such gigantic worlds with little actual memory used for the world data. With such a low resolution world as hunter has, each pixel in the heightmap could represent a significant amount of on-screen space.

Cherno 02 March 2015 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimbal (Post 1007544)
Do you (want to) have overhangs such as caves? Otherwise you could employ the good old heightmap trick to get such gigantic worlds with little actual memory used for the world data. With such a low resolution world as hunter has, each pixel in the heightmap could represent a significant amount of on-screen space.

I do use a 256x256 pixel heightmap, with one pixel for each terrain vertex. The world is low resolution enough to have all of it's chunks (8x8) exist at once without any problems, so I'm not streaming the ground and water, only all the other objects.

And no, there are no caves or overhangs. It's all just like we know it from the original Hunter ;)

gimbal 02 March 2015 23:47

Well the objects are also pretty low resolution, so perhaps you are solving problems here that don't actually exist? ;)

(I get it though, of course you feel the pressure of the fact that the game ran on a standard A500 with almost no resources at all).

Cherno 03 March 2015 03:38

Actually the issues at hand is not the complexity of the models as most are indeed extremely low-poly, but rather that the Unity Engine doesn't like having hundreds and hundreds of seperate gameObjects in the scene at once, even if they are just cubes that don't do anything. Once a four digits number is reached, frame rate starts to drop.
The original even had to make sure that only one other character was on screen along with the player, so I should be glad to have a little bit more power at my disposal ;)

gimbal 03 March 2015 11:49

The scene for rendering and the world data should be two separate things though. I thought we were talking about the streaming of world data.

Meh, that's too technical for this thread. Moving along!

Vot 03 March 2015 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimbal (Post 1007699)
The scene for rendering and the world data should be two separate things though. I thought we were talking about the streaming of world data.

Meh, that's too technical for this thread. Moving along!


Yea i didn't quite understand the game should be MVC at least and only objects seen in the view rendered in the scene.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:51.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Page generated in 0.05552 seconds with 11 queries