English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Coders. Asm / Hardware (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Dual Layer Graphics example + source (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=112600)

roondar 25 November 2022 12:32

Dual Layer Graphics example + source

Ever since making the Free Form Sprite Layer example a few years ago, I've been wanting to have another go at creating a dual layer screen on my A500 without using Dual Playfield mode. I eventually ended up with two ideas floating around in my head and decided that the best way to deal with these ideas was to turn them into my next video/article.

For comparison, I also added the standard repeating pattern Sprite background as used in several games. All in all, I ended up with an example program that shows three different ways of creating a dual layer screen.

As always, I've included the full source code and a download of the program itself on my website. Note that my example uses the startup code by Photon of Scoopex, a random number generator I found on EAB, written by Meynaf and uses tiles ripped from Turrican II. It requires at least 1MB of RAM (of which 512KB Chip RAM*).

The article & source can be found here:
https://powerprograms.nl/amiga/dual-layer.html

Here's the YouTube video:
https://youtu.be/RLt6JysObKs

*) the example uses a lot of Chip Memory because everything for all three variants is kept in memory all the time. It needs at least 420KB of free Chip RAM to run.

vulture 25 November 2022 13:26

Very nice and very informative, thx roondar!

ross 25 November 2022 14:43

Very good article, as usual.
In particular the part about the dual layer with blitter in single playfield mode, which is not documented so precisely and exhaustively anywhere else.
:great

roondar 25 November 2022 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by vulture (Post 1577596)
Very nice and very informative, thx roondar!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ross (Post 1577618)
Very good article, as usual.
In particular the part about the dual layer with blitter in single playfield mode, which is not documented so precisely and exhaustively anywhere else.
:great

Thanks, it was a lot of fun to fiddle around with the Blitter and the palette settings. I had been wanting to one of these for aaaaages, but real life kept getting in the way.
I'm especially happy it managed to perform roughly identical to a simple Sprite layer :)

Jobbo 25 November 2022 17:01

Really nice work!

It must take a ton of effort to make those videos and the write ups, even compared to how much time it takes to make the code.

Love hearing about these sorts of experiments in great detail, much appreciated!

roondar 25 November 2022 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobbo (Post 1577645)
Really nice work!

It must take a ton of effort to make those videos and the write ups, even compared to how much time it takes to make the code.

Love hearing about these sorts of experiments in great detail, much appreciated!

Thanks!

Yes, the work on the article and video is "non-trivial" :D
I don't have an exact split, but it feels to me like it's a roughly 50/50 split between the code and the article/video.

alkis 25 November 2022 19:59

Very nice work, thank you.
Liked and subscribed of course.

robinsonb5 25 November 2022 20:07

Very nice - I really like the tabbed presentation on the webpage, too.

paraj 26 November 2022 14:40

Very nice article! :great:
One small comment about the page is that the fixed margins makes it very hard to read on a small screen (e.g. phone).

roondar 26 November 2022 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by paraj (Post 1577784)
Very nice article! :great:
One small comment about the page is that the fixed margins makes it very hard to read on a small screen (e.g. phone).

I'll have to take a look at that. It didn't use to do that, it used to size alongside the display side (i.e. no margins on phones). Thanks for pointing it out!

Edit: should be fixed now, though you may have to force a browser cache clear on your phone first before it'll sort itself out.

buzzybee 26 November 2022 16:14

Great feature, thank you for putting that together and sharing it. May I add that my games from the "Reshoot" series use the "fake" Dual Playfield mode that you mention, based on the benefits of AGA-chipset.

With the 256 color registers of the AGA-chipset, you may set up two playfields with 15 individual colors each; or two playfields with 15/7 individual colors. That way, sufficient color regs remain to set up sprite colors of your choice. Feels very desirable for a shoot-em-up game.

On AGA the color glitches mentioned in your video may be turned into a fake 3 or 4-bit alpha channel, thus providing the illusion of transparency. That is if the palette is chosen wisely.

paraj 26 November 2022 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by roondar (Post 1577791)
I'll have to take a look at that. It didn't use to do that, it used to size alongside the display side (i.e. no margins on phones). Thanks for pointing it out!

Edit: should be fixed now, though you may have to force a browser cache clear on your phone first before it'll sort itself out.

Yep, fixed now, and the tabs work much better. Now I can properly enjoy your articles on my morning commute :)

roondar 27 November 2022 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzybee (Post 1577801)
Great feature, thank you for putting that together and sharing it. May I add that my games from the "Reshoot" series use the "fake" Dual Playfield mode that you mention, based on the benefits of AGA-chipset.

With the 256 color registers of the AGA-chipset, you may set up two playfields with 15 individual colors each; or two playfields with 15/7 individual colors. That way, sufficient color regs remain to set up sprite colors of your choice. Feels very desirable for a shoot-em-up game.

On AGA the color glitches mentioned in your video may be turned into a fake 3 or 4-bit alpha channel, thus providing the illusion of transparency. That is if the palette is chosen wisely.

That's a very clever way to use the extra bitplanes AGA offers for sure. I especially like those translucent clouds you added to Reshoot III.

lmimmfn 28 November 2022 03:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by roondar (Post 1577995)
That's a very clever way to use the extra bitplanes AGA offers for sure. I especially like those translucent clouds you added to Reshoot III.

Also a good for implementing shadows similar to HB mode.

Great video BTW, I really enjoyed that!!!

ovale 15 December 2022 21:58

Thank you for the effort. What tools you used to make the animations in the video?