English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Amiga Forever, what's the point? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=3765)

dreamkatcha 18 March 2002 20:11

Amiga Forever, what's the point?

I've been playing around with Amiga Forever and just don't get it. It looks to me like you get repackaged (old) versions of WinUAE and Winfellow and not a lot else. Am I missing something here? Are there any benefits to be gained from using these older versions?

jmmijo 18 March 2002 20:20

More to the point you are paying for the Amiga OS licences and the Picasso Licence ;) Actually when you think about it, it's not a bad price for both when you try to purchase legal copies of both they would cost more then purchasing just the Amiga Forever 5 CD :) Since you also have older versions of these apps in case you want to mess around with them as well as the newer releases of both WinFellow and WinUAE :cool

EDIT: when you get down to it, some of us here will purchase both the Amiga Forever as well as the real Amiga OS packages because we are also collectors :cheese

kafiend 18 March 2002 20:24

Isn't the whole point that its a working emulated-Amiga setup?
Saves fiddling with setting up workbench etc. Of course not that that in itself is hard, but at least with Amiga Forever (Assuming you bought it) you have a liscensed product in the form of the o/s and kick.roms.

As far as the older versions of WINUAE/Fellow are concerned, newer versions come out faster than Cloanto can reasonably update their package (particularly relevant to the CD version). Besides theres a GUI in Amiga Forever 5 that covers this eventuality with its Update button.

oldpx 18 March 2002 20:44

AF is bullshit. If you'd like to use the roms "legally", just get a broken A500 motherboard with roms on it for 5$ and download the kickstarts anywhere!

jmmijo 18 March 2002 20:49

Quote:

Originally posted by Burseg
AF is bullshit. If you'd like to use the roms "legally", just get a broken A500 motherboard with roms on it for 5$ and download the kickstarts anywhere!
Ah, but that's assuming this A500 has the kick 3.1 roms doesn't it ;)

oldpx 18 March 2002 20:53

ok get a broken A1200 motherboard for 10$ then :D

kafiend 18 March 2002 20:58

Also required...

1 large carboard box in which to store bits.
Plenty of loft space
lots of luck and patience in tracing down all the parts

:)

dreamkatcha 18 March 2002 21:18

Thanks for the replies. It just seems like a big scam to me considering the core components of the package can be downloaded free elsewhere. OK, so you get legal Kickstarts and whatnot with it, but they're so easy to come by that shouldn't even be a consideration. I'm not necessarily talking about downloading them illegally either - I expect most of the members here have owned legal copies of these disks at one point or another even if we don't now so charging for them all over again is ridiculous.

I'm really glad I'm just 'testing' this software, because I would have felt totally cheated had I paid for it... and I thought Microsoft were the biggest con merchants around these days.

From what I can gather AF gives you a pretty menu from which you're just a click away from the emus and different OSs. If this was important to you you'd just create a group of shortcuts using Explorer. :rolleyes

Is Amithlon any better?

RetroMan 18 March 2002 21:22

Quote:

Originally posted by Echostryker
Is Amithlon any better?
Well, Amithlon is FASTER, but you cannot play old adf-games with it, cause it got no custom-chip emulation ;)

oldpx 18 March 2002 21:24

Amithlon is totally different and in some aspects, better but doesn't have OCS/ECS/AGA emulation which means you won't be able to play classic games with it. check www.amithlon.net for more information.

RetroMan 18 March 2002 21:33

Nearly forgotten : For playing old classic Amiga games on Amithlon you can use AmigaUAE (an Amiga Emulator for the Amiga) but since there currently is no development, the emu is in an early stage of emulation and can´t emulate very much games, but it´s worth a try ;) from what I´ve heard, you can manage to emulate 50% of all amiga adf´s out there ...

oldpx 18 March 2002 21:44

Sounds cool. Maybe we can install workbench under amigauae, and install pc task onto it, then install linux and by using a dos emulator, install and use dosuae and with dosuae, we can use shapeshifter so that we have a nice macos running, then install macuae and by using pctask again, install BeOs and try to run silk worm with BeUAE !

RetroMan 18 March 2002 21:51

Quote:

Originally posted by Burseg
Sounds cool. Maybe we can install workbench under amigauae, and install pc task onto it, then install linux and by using a dos emulator, install and use dosuae and with dosuae, we can use shapeshifter so that we have a nice macos running, then install macuae and by using pctask again, install BeOs and try to run silk worm with BeUAE !
:p

dreamkatcha 18 March 2002 23:27

Lol @ Burseg :D

Just goes to show how ridiculous this whole thing is getting. Roll on the SNES emus! Now they're child's play to get running.

oldpx 18 March 2002 23:44

Just kidding RetroMan no need to get upset ;)

Minuous 18 March 2002 23:48

I agree, Amiga Forever is crap. Cloanto these days seem bent on sucking any money they can out of the Amiga community without putting anything back.

Djay 19 March 2002 00:17

Quote:

i've often thought about this, emulation is ENDLESS...

nice1:laughing

CPC464 19 March 2002 18:46

Amiga 4 Ever

I have Amiga Forever 5 (Yes I know what a waste of Money).

And I think most of you are right, apart from the Kickstart.roms and the stuff you need licencing for there is nothing to it.

it comes with some video's on the CD's but WOW O WOW it's nothing exciting, and it's setout is no where near as good as AIAB.

So Is there a point in Buying it ? Well as it's been pointed out if you want to obtain stuff legally then yes, if you don't worry about things like that then the answer must be NO.

I thought it would be pretty good to use and once installed it would be setup, but Nah doesn't quite work like that.

IMHO much better to use AIAB and much Much nicer to look at.

However, the Amiga Explorer parts of AF is very nice :) (so it does have 1 good point) but they could have done so much more, especially considering the money you pay for it.

Just my opinion though :nervous