English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Coders. System (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   NDK3.2r4: clib/asl_protos.h and Autodocs disagree on AslRequestTags() (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=113055)

hceline 02 January 2023 09:06

NDK3.2r4: clib/asl_protos.h and Autodocs disagree on AslRequestTags()

In NDK3.2r4 clib/asl_protos.h claims that it's:
BOOL AslRequestTags( APTR requester, ... );

While the Autodocs in NDK2.3r4 say:
BOOL AslRequestTags(APTR,Tag,...);

I guess the Autodocs are right since that is in line with both includes and Autodocs for earlier releases.

Update: AllocAslRequestTags() has the same difference.

-Hagbard Celine

Thomas Richter 03 January 2023 18:45

Both declarations are identical. The functions are varadic functions that take an opaque pointer as first argument, and a variable number of tags, terminated by TAG_DONE.

Actually, only AllocAslRequest() exists as library entry point, the "xxxTags()" function are generated by the compiler. This is very convenient as the compiler just provides a pointer to the tag list on the stack as second argument.

hceline 03 January 2023 19:07

Ok, thank you for explaining.
Maybe this thread should have been in Coders.System instead, because I'm not quite sure I understand.

I got this code that compiles with older NDK:
Code:

APTR __stdargs AllocAslRequestTags(
    ULONG type,
    Tag tag1,...)
{
    return AllocAslRequest(type,(struct TagItem *)&tag1);
}

That fails with "Error 72: conflict with previous declaration See line 34 file "include:clib/asl_protos.h"

Is the solution to change it to:
Code:

ULONG type,
    ...)
{
}

And that will work? Or am I missing something?
Update: When I look at it after posting, it does not seem right. tag1 is not defined anywhere. Just used.

hceline 03 January 2023 19:56

After trying all options that threw compiler errors first, I got this to compile.
Code:

ULONG type,
    ...)
{
    Tag tag1;
}

Don't know if its the correct fix for compiling under NDK3.2 though.
Please confirm/deny.

thomas 03 January 2023 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by hceline (Post 1586491)
Please confirm/deny.

It cannot work. Tag1 now is a local variable. Giving a pointer to a local variable to a function which expects an array of tag items will crash of course.

I am not sure what you are trying to do. As Thomas pointed out, the ...Tags() function should be provided by the compiler, it is not needed to make a stub for it.

But anyway, this could work for you:

Code:

APTR AllocAslRequestTags (ULONG type, ...)
{
    return AllocAslRequest(type,(struct TagItem *)((&type) + 1));
}

Or maybe even like so:

Code:

#include <stdarg.h>
{
    va_list taglist;
    va_start(taglist,type);
    APTR result = AllocAslRequest(type,(struct TagItem *)taglist);
    va_end(taglist);
    return (result);
}

hceline 03 January 2023 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas (Post 1586505)
I am not sure what you are trying to do. As Thomas pointed out, the ...Tags() function should be provided by the compiler, it is not needed to make a stub for it.

I'm just trying to compile a old program, not written by me, with it's library with the new NDK.
I thought it might be a simple way to test my new install/compiler setup, as I had an easy time updating it for NDK3.1 earlier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas (Post 1586505)
But anyway, this could work for you:

Code:

{
    return AllocAslRequest(type,(struct TagItem *)((&type) + 1));
}

This compiled, will see if it works when I get the whole ting compiling.

Thomas Richter 05 January 2023 10:38

Thomas' second solution based on va_start is the correct one "by the letter", even though it is for most (all?) Amiga compilers equivalent to the first. I suggest to go for the clean way and work on top of va_start.

Anyhow, the typical solution here would be rather to generate compiler prototypes from the .fd file through FD2Pragma (from aminet). This will, for example for the SAS/C compiler, result in a #pragma that automatically takes the stack pointer as second argument for the tag call, so no stub function is needed.

hceline 05 January 2023 14:46

While working through the code and updating it for NDK3.2, looking at the headers and the supplied documentation/examples. I began to realize that this was what both of you and NDK3.2R4/DeveloperDocumentation/InterfaceHeaderFiles was conveying that I did not fully comprehend:
If I include clib/asl_protos.h and pragmas/asl_pragmas.h, I can just delete the code in question from the program.
Unless I'm still totally misunderstanding something. Still haven't got to the point where I can test if it runs, but that part compiles with this change.

And thanks to both of you for bearing with me.

hceline 05 January 2023 18:58

I am sorry if my last post seems redundant, as I probably just reiterated what Thomas Richter posted just above with other words.
I once was so unlucky as to crack my skull open, and have since then had difficulties with written text.
I can read a text, and get part of it's meaning. And then during the next hour or day, I can slowly realize the full meaning. And in context the part I understood to begin with changes meaning. This makes me constantly question my understanding of what I read even if the message is quite obvious.
When I post myself I use a spellchecker and prof-reed several times. But still when I read it back some minutes after posting, I usually find words in the wrong place and words that mean something else but contains almost the same letters as the intended word.

Just felt I had to say this, because when I read back the two last posts now. I feel like, well if the roles where reversed my answer might have been: YEA, wasn't this what I just told you.

arcanist 05 January 2023 19:56

I think the general recommendation is to include <proto/asl.h>, which will pick up a compiler-supplied header or the NDK header. That will choose the best library interface for your compiler.

hceline 05 January 2023 22:02

Nice, thank you. I will do that then.

phx 06 January 2023 16:10

Arcanist is right.
<proto/...>
is the way to go. It makes sure that all prototypes and compiler specific enhancements (like pragmas, inlines) are included. Never include some
<inline[s]/..>
or
<pragma[s]/...>
file directly, as it makes your source compiler-specific.
Include
<clib/...>
instead of
<proto/...>
if you absolutely want, for whatever reason, to use stub routines from amiga.lib to call OS functions and avoid inline calls.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Richter (Post 1586884)
Thomas' second solution based on va_start is the correct one "by the letter",

It may work with most AmigaOS/68k compilers, but I wouldn't call it correct. ;)
You shouldn't cast a va_list to some pointer. A va_list can be anything. For example a complex structure, for ABIs using arguments in registers, like PPC.

Quote:

even though it is for most (all?) Amiga compilers equivalent to the first.
Not sure. Maybe there are gcc ports with a broken standard ABI (passing arguments in registers by default)?