English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Nostalgia & memories (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Mispronounced game/game company/tech stuff names (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=105242)

Dastardly 08 January 2021 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radertified (Post 1451868)
I've always said info graymes, where "grames" would be a play on "games"

What's a grame? Plays on words usually have some kind of clever double meaning or something. Why change games to grames?

As it is a French company then lilalurl's description is probably right.

Radertified 08 January 2021 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dastardly (Post 1451884)
What's a grame? Plays on words usually have some kind of clever double meaning or something. Why change games to grames?

As it is a French company then lilalurl's description is probably right.

Absolutely no idea what a grame would be. I just figured grames would rhyme with games, so I've always pronounced it like that.

Belgarath 08 January 2021 20:50

According to Wikipedia

The founders wanted to christen the company Zboub Système (which can be approximately translated to Dick System in English), but were dissuaded by their legal counsel. According to Bonnell in a TV interview, they then used a mix-and-match computer program to suggest other names, one of which was "Infogramme": a portmanteau of the French words "informatique" (information technology) and "programme" (a computer program). The final choice, "Infogrames", was a slightly modified version of that suggestion.

edit: dick system, lol.

BarryB 08 January 2021 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belgarath (Post 1451890)

edit: dick system, lol.

Don't knock Dick! I used to program in Pick, created by DICK Pick :)

Gordon 08 January 2021 21:39

Krisalis

Chris-a-lis
Or
Cry-salis

Radertified 08 January 2021 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon (Post 1451901)
Krisalis

Chris-a-lis
Or
Cry-salis

This one's an easy one because it's based on the word chrysalis, which is evident in the logo with the butterfly.

kri-suh-lis.

Pixelfill 08 January 2021 21:58

SQL (of database fame) - I always used to sound it out by letter (Ess-Cue-Ell), until I was informed it's pronounced sequel - by those "in the know"

BarryB 09 January 2021 01:16

Like Micro$oft Azure, pronounced 'Asia' by some!!

S0ulA55a551n 11 January 2021 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixelfill (Post 1451905)
SQL (of database fame) - I always used to sound it out by letter (Ess-Cue-Ell), until I was informed it's pronounced sequel - by those "in the know"

Well so many different ways of saying tech stuff. A lot depends of where you come from in. The agile software JIRA.

Nearly everyone I have ever met says Jeee Raaa. But americans and a few other people i have met say say JI Raaa

gimbal 11 January 2021 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by BippyM (Post 1451870)
ID would be like bID. if there were full stops (I.D.) then i would pronounce it EYE-DEE

There is no doubt about it since John Romero has basically made a career out of explaining how to pronounce the name (and how Keen, Wolf3D, Doom and Quake were developed), there are at least a dozen Youtube videos where he explains it :)

rabidgerry 12 January 2021 00:28

Ikari warriors

I believe I had a few ways of pronouncing that game when I was young.