English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.Amiga Game Factory (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Turrican 2 MS-DOS AGA conversion (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=106735)

sokolovic 27 April 2021 00:23

Could it be possible to use AGA dual playfield and add a parallaxed background ?
And tes, I also think the original Amiga sprite is better.

Edit : wonderful project by the way.

Muzza 27 April 2021 00:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1479481)
that's is just great. Which assets did you re-use? graphics? code? sfx?

Artwork is all sourced from the MS-DOS version.

Music is the original TFMX from the AMIGA (but I think identical to the MS-DOS version)
For sound effects I found an old gameboy remake of T2 where they extracted wavs already - although I'm not entirely happy with all of them.

On the code side, I use roondars audio mixer (thanks roondar!). TFMX player code came from a music player that had ripped the code from the Amiga version (this took a lot of work to get working, but I'm glad I did as the music is so important to Turrican).
All the code for scrolling, blitting and gameplay is new and original.

skan 27 April 2021 00:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muzza (Post 1479510)
I completely predicted the Turrican sprite would get complaints :), and I've seen several comments about it already! I agree it is worse, I was thinking I would add an option in the menu screen to use the Amiga sprite. They're both 16 colours.

I always thought Super Turrican sprites (both 1 and 2) are the best ones, can you add those too maybe? ;)

Mixel 27 April 2021 00:39

Quote:

I completely predicted the Turrican sprite would get complaints :), and I've seen several comments about it already! I agree it is worse, I was thinking I would add an option in the menu screen to use the Amiga sprite. They're both 16 colours.

And yes those tools were very useful in getting the artwork and extracting map data. I will need to credit the authors in a future version.

I love the MS-DOS turrican suit, I'm glad you're not replacing him outright, Turrican looks totally different on multiple platforms. Not much point porting the MS-DOS version to have it only look like the Amiga version anyway.

None of them look like the box art. :)

Wait until people see the art in the MS-DOS intro sequence, haha.

skan 27 April 2021 00:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muzza (Post 1479514)
On the code side, I use roondars audio mixer (thanks roondar!). TFMX player code came from a music player that had ripped the code from the Amiga version (this took a lot of work to get working, but I'm glad I did as the music is so important to Turrican).
All the code for scrolling, blitting and gameplay is new and original.

:bowdown :bowdown :bowdown

Predseda 27 April 2021 07:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarr (Post 1479502)
Cool expertiment, but it is not 50 fps, as the original Turrican II on the Amiga was, and the PC version of the main sprite is ugly. The real Turrican sprite is the Amiga one :P

I always see Leia Organa instead of Bren McGuire in PC version :)

jotd 27 April 2021 07:43

you should let people choose the main character graphics :)

Predseda 27 April 2021 07:51

I completely support this idea. There was also Jean-Claude van Damme once.... nooo, forget it! :D

skan 27 April 2021 08:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mixel (Post 1479517)
I love the MS-DOS turrican suit, I'm glad you're not replacing him outright, Turrican looks totally different on multiple platforms. Not much point porting the MS-DOS version to have it only look like the Amiga version anyway.

None of them look like the box art. :)

Wait until people see the art in the MS-DOS intro sequence, haha.

Luckily! ;P The suit design on both the box art and the intro in various versions is just awful IMHO! :D

Never liked it, I think it's silly at best... I always thought a proper take on the suit design would be closer to Master Chief (Halo) than that... thing on the cover! ;)

... and yeah, the DOS intro sequence is a mixed bag: awesome ship design, awful character design! :)

VincentGR 27 April 2021 08:16

I hate the main sprite too, but this is a port, so it's better to keep the original.
Fantastic job!

nelsn68k 27 April 2021 08:16

I played the level and was thrilled. Thank you!

AMike 27 April 2021 08:38

Quote:

And yes those tools were very useful in getting the artwork and extracting map data. I will need to credit the authors in a future version.

Coincidentally, 3 weeks ago I asked on a1k.org (German Amiga forum) if it would be possible to implement an AGA version based on these tools. The answer was theoretically yes, but a lot of effort is needed and suddenly your demo comes out of nowhere. :) How much time have you invested so far?

Quote:

I was thinking I would add an option in the menu screen to use the Amiga sprite. They're both 16 colours.

That would be the best solution. Would it be theoretically possible to change some other game assets? For example backgrounds, parallax scrolling or the CD Music from Chris? No pressure - only a question, only a "simple" port of the MSDos version would be great. Thanks. :)

Steffest 27 April 2021 08:40

Wow,
I launched the demo not expecting much, but this was actually very good and super enjoyable!
Great project!

Mixel 27 April 2021 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by skan (Post 1479542)
Luckily! ;P The suit design on both the box art and the intro in various versions is just awful IMHO! :D

Never liked it, I think it's silly at best... I always thought a proper take on the suit design would be closer to Master Chief (Halo) than that... thing on the cover! ;)

... and yeah, the DOS intro sequence is a mixed bag: awesome ship design, awful character design! :)

I quite like our box art version of the suit, and also the Turrican 3 box art bonus inexplicable dinosaur. It could’ve been much worse, we dodged this guy and his shiny chrome pecs. (And strategically placed groin explosion?) :lol

Seriously though this is such a great idea for a project.

I wonder what a palette adjusted for ms-dos colours, slightly smoothed to fit in with the vga assets version of our beloved little guy would look like? Basically what would it look like if they’d done what you’d have expected from them in the first place rather than strangely riff on the 8bit versions.

Predseda 27 April 2021 08:45

That Megadrive box is so ugly that it insults me :)

nikosidis 27 April 2021 08:45

It does play and look nice! I tried on my Blizzard IV 030.
It take to much time from holding fire to when the fire can be spread all around you.
It should almost be like you have to fire all the time to use normal weapon. Holding, should trigger the all around weapon almost instantly. Like other mention 2nd button should be special weapon, just like when hitting space button on keyboard.

Great work!

jotd 27 April 2021 08:51

cd32 joypad controls like whdload version: blue for jump, green for flash, etc... full joypad control that's the way

or leave it as is we'll patch it :)

Mixel 27 April 2021 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predseda (Post 1479549)
That Megadrive box is so ugly that it insults me :)

Hahah it’s the worst, I love it. I can imagine him hanging out with the US NES cover Megaman.

Has anyone ever modded in loading screen “totally not just a traced over Manowar cover” Turrican with his rad hair?

It’s almost as if the creators didn’t give a crap about consistency or how he looked, lol.

jotd 27 April 2021 09:06

maybe the cover was changed to lame (but original) crap after plagiarism was detected...

skan 27 April 2021 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mixel (Post 1479548)
I quite like our box art version of the suit, and also the Turrican 3 box art bonus inexplicable dinosaur. It could’ve been much worse, we dodged this guy and his shiny chrome pecs. (And strategically placed groin explosion?) :lol

Seriously though this is such a great idea for a project.

I wonder what a palette adjusted for ms-dos colours, slightly smoothed to fit in with the vga assets version of our beloved little guy would look like? Basically what would it look like if they’d done what you’d have expected from them in the first place rather than strangely riff on the 8bit versions.

Argh...my eyes! :p

Well, I wouldn't dislike a reboot/makeover like these for both cover and in-game assets... but I'm getting OT now! ;)

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca88...HIMNcOzDOOqpek
https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets...jpg?1523692128
https://cdnb.artstation.com/p/assets...jpg?1523692139