English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Nostalgia & memories (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Your biggest Amiga regret? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=101200)

DanScott 09 March 2020 01:09

Your biggest Amiga regret?

So, I had quite a successful career making games over the last 30 years...including working on quite a few well known and successful games for Core Design. Obviously, around 1994 we moved completely away from the Amiga, into the realms of consoles (a purely business move).

My biggest regret... not getting a chance to actually port one of my games properly to CD32... would love to have done a proper AGA version of Chuck Rock 2!! That would have been so fun to do (and probably would not have taken too long to do either)

What's your biggest Amiga regret ?

alpine9000 09 March 2020 01:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanScott (Post 1383872)
So, I had quite a successful career making games over the last 30 years...including working on quite a few well known and successful games for Core Design. Obviously, around 1994 we moved completely away from the Amiga, into the realms of consoles (a purely business move).

My biggest regret... not getting a chance to actually port one of my games properly to CD32... would love to have done a proper AGA version of Chuck Rock 2!! That would have been so fun to do (and probably would not have taken too long to do either)

Selling my Amiga in the 90’s and losing all my data including quite a few work in progress game projects.

DDNI 09 March 2020 01:40

Oh wow! A CD32 version of Chuck Rock 2 would have been amazing to see.
What resources/code still exist today?

I regret selling a fully tricked out A1200 BPPC mediator 060 tower. Although I don’t miss the awful fear of turning it on and wondering if the magic blue smoke might escape. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanScott (Post 1383872)

chip 09 March 2020 04:57

Selling my Amiga for sure :(

Foebane 09 March 2020 07:31

I got my A1200 with HDD back around 1993 (which was a birthday present from my father) which I enjoyed a lot, and then Doom and Commodore's collapse made me dump it in favour of my first PC. My A1200 then languished in my father's office for years, unloved, before he sold it on eBay. I only wished I had gotten it back then, considering how much I view AGA demos now on WinUAE, although I doubt my father would've let me have it for free.

utri007 09 March 2020 07:50

I had a complete CDTV setup and I sold it.

quantum8 09 March 2020 07:51

Passing up getting a loaded big box for cheap 15 years ago.

Being a poor uni student didn't help!

Tigerskunk 09 March 2020 08:33

I regret not being able to properly learn assembler and protracker back in the day..

Antiriad_UK 09 March 2020 09:06

Not managing to code a glenz vector before I quit. Fixed that now though :)

005AGIMA 09 March 2020 09:10

1) Selling my original Amiga and collection.

2) Throwing away the A500+ with 2MB Ram that my boss GAVE me, in 2002.

I know I know. I'm sorry! :(

ruinashiro 09 March 2020 09:20

I regret selling my Ateo Tower 1200 + 060/60 + PPC/266 back in 2000. But then again, I understand why I did it.

I was having more fun gaming on my consoles, the number of new amiga releases slowed to a dribble, I had to run a mac emulator to use a real browser, I was jealous of Diablo (not Doom lol) on PC, I couldn't get OctaMED to recognize either of my 2 MIDI adapters, my 16-bit soundcard wouldn't work in any software either, etc.

Jope 09 March 2020 10:16

Not putting in the hours required to learn how to code when I still had the hours to put in.

DamienD 09 March 2020 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruinashiro (Post 1383920)
I was jealous of Diablo (not Doom lol) on PC

Yeah, didn't care much about Doom but when I first saw Diablo at a friend's house :shocked

gimbal 09 March 2020 11:15

I kind of have remorse for the decision to toss my broken Miggy, but at the same time I can't really blame the 25 year younger me. Commodore had gone bust, there were no miggies in the shops anymore, the thing didn't boot anymore and I had a brand spanking new 486 and an ever growing list of CDROM games at my disposal. I couldn't have known that the next 25 years of my life would be haunted by nostalgia.

WayneK 09 March 2020 11:29

Not learning to crack on Amiga when I had the chance (some 'known' crackers offered to teach/mentor me) during the good old days because I thought it would be too complex...

In fact if it hadn't been for discovering Flashtro in 2004, I still wouldn't know how easy it actually is/was :P

Locutus 09 March 2020 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jope (Post 1383937)
Not putting in the hours required to learn how to code when I still had the hours to put in.

And now we all know how to code properly(ish) we are spoiled with things like Rust and ever going back to writing plain C feels very much like not-fun.

sparhawk 09 March 2020 13:09

1) Selling my A1000 (can't even remember when exactly that happend) along with all the books and disks (recovered only a handfull of my sources these days).
2) Not selling tools that I wrote for my personal needs. Some of them came later, made by other people, but I was never a big business man. :)

Amigajay 09 March 2020 13:09

Tbh i don’t have any regrets in the decisions i made with the hardware i bought at the time, i would the exact same again if i had the chance.

Only ‘regrets’ would be selling all my Amiga stuff, hardware, games, mags etc but then i cant really ‘regret’ it because at the time i needed the money for something important, i’ve never been a position or have the room to collect and keep all my hardware all at the same time, so even though i’ve owned over 50 machines, its never more than 5 at a time.

LongLifeA1200 09 March 2020 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amigajay (Post 1383984)
or have the room to collect and keep all my hardware all at the same time

That's the worst part of it all. I would have want for nothing now, if I simply had the space to keep my stuff.

Jope 09 March 2020 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locutus (Post 1383964)
And now we all know how to code properly(ish) we are spoiled with things like Rust and ever going back to writing plain C feels very much like not-fun.

Yeh, I do most of my hobby coding in Python and university makes me do coursework in Java.

Whittling everything from a piece of wood with Asm/C is a bit difficult to motivate yourself for in this age.