English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Minix images (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=15627)

redblade 16 October 2004 06:27

Minix images

Hi.

I'm not to sure if this is a error with winuae or not. I downloaded the minix set and well the first disk is a amiga disk, and the rest are atari 720kb disk images.

Does winuae support atari 720kb disk images? Because when ever I goto enter the root disk (disk 2) I seem to get a error.

my cfg.

k1.3 512kchip, 1.5mbfast, 68000, Match A500 emulation, ECS chipset.

pjhutch 16 October 2004 11:32

No that I know of. CrossDos might be able to read them. I forget which format Atari discs use.

redblade 16 October 2004 11:41

atari uses the same format as the pc, 720kb. I'm busy trying this on UAE, might try a Atari eumlator, as I only have to d/l 2 extra disks.

thomas 16 October 2004 13:56

For each 720K disk, create an empty "custom adf", mount PC0 and use an ADF utilitiy like TSGui to write the 720K image to it. After that the custom ADF should be usable as Atari disk. It's just the same procedure as to create a boot ADF for PC-Task.

redblade 17 October 2004 01:31

So WinUAE can't read Atari disks, I have to thru that extra effort then? :-(

Hmm didn't have much luck gettting it going on the atari emulator as the boot disk was missing minix.img

andreas 05 July 2005 23:00

If you are still interested in trying this, I can upload my custom ADF set for you (incl. the ADOS boot disk); this will be Minix 1.5.10 with the patch 1.5.10.2 applied.
Total size is roughly 4 MB (RAR'ed, full 9-disk set).

Worked perfectly! The only thing is that the system seems to be read-only throughout; that is, you cannot modify the init and other scripts in /etc, as they always get auto-reverted to their defaults, and I haven't yet found out the reason why. :rolleyes

redblade 06 July 2005 01:43

ah yes please upload them, can you do it as 2*2mb rar files tho ?

as i'm on dial up, and would prefer to do 2 seperate downloads at 2mb each.

andreas 06 July 2005 14:24

Hmm, it turned out that in RAR format, it's mere 3 MB. :)
Unfortunately, I had to revert to Minix 1.5 (original and unpatched) for now, as I encountered a couple of "last-minute" inode errors with my 1.5.10.2 set. I would not want to spread the set unless I know why these errors occur(red).
(Filesystem checking program is called fsck and it is located on USR disk #2 [Disk 4] in /bin).

redblade 07 July 2005 10:57

cheers :)

andreas 07 July 2005 11:31

you're welcome ... tell me about your experiences with it someday :)

redblade 08 August 2005 12:01

Okay, finally got it going :).

But one problem :).

What's the 'root' account details so I can logon :).

Also andreas are you running this of the .adf in Winuae or did you use the update to run it of a hard drive file ?!

cheers

--
righty o, just found the login accounts from:
http://www.jeacle.ie/pub/articles/minix/

login/password
ast/Wachtwoord
root/Geheim

and leave USR disks write enabled.

andreas 13 August 2005 09:50

Running off the adf, sure.
Running off hard drive is VERY difficult and IMPOSSIBLE on WinUAE at the moment, as you will need a real (pseudo) hard drive controller emulation! The system must be fooled into thinking that there was a real HDD connected, otherwise the recognition shall be doomed to fail.

redblade 14 August 2005 09:45

ah right cheers matey.

do you max out the RAM when you use Minix?

You tried compiling anything?.

I havn't really done that much with it.

fmcpma 31 August 2005 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreas
Running off the adf, sure.
Running off hard drive is VERY difficult and IMPOSSIBLE on WinUAE at the moment, as you will need a real (pseudo) hard drive controller emulation! The system must be fooled into thinking that there was a real HDD connected, otherwise the recognition shall be doomed to fail.

Isn't WinUAE's emulation of a hard drive "real"?

Toni Wilen 31 August 2005 16:04

UAE's harddrive is AmigaDOS device level (uaehf.device) or filesystem level (virtual directories) emulation. There is no IDE or SCSI hardware emulation.

a_petri 31 August 2005 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmcpma
Isn't WinUAE's emulation of a hard drive "real"?

Yes, it is, but it is done through emulated AmigaOS device drivers (AFAIK uaehdf.device for hard disk image files,and uaescsi.device for actual hard disks), and not by emulating a hard disk controller *hardware*.

Minix expects an A2091 compatible SCSI host adapter, and it accesses it directly, without using any AmigaOS drivers. Therefore Minix hard disk support under WinUAE would require a precise hardware-level emulation of the A2091 card, and I suppose it would be too much effort for a relatively minimal improvement.

andreas 31 August 2005 16:19

Strong disagreement. It would improve a LOT.
Since all that awkward disk-changing procedure would no longer be necessary. And please consider that the possibility of *expanding* the /usr directory by other tools or newer versions bigger in size is VERY limited at the moment. When the disk space is gone, it is gone. On a 10 MB HD, however, you could cram in a lot of useful tools which can make life a lot easier.
I've always been a huge UNIX freak and I'd love to have this in. Someday. But at the time when Toni decides to put it in. :)

fmcpma 01 September 2005 03:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_petri
Minix expects an A2091 compatible SCSI host adapter, and it accesses it directly, without using any AmigaOS drivers. Therefore Minix hard disk support under WinUAE would require a precise hardware-level emulation of the A2091 card, and I suppose it would be too much effort for a relatively minimal improvement.

Hmmm. I see. But can one not say that the harddrive emulated by WinUAE is as real as if it emulated an IDE or SCSI one -- it just uses a proprietery interface? In that case, "all" that is needed is a suitable driver for it in Minix!

redblade 06 September 2005 11:34

Hmm is this Minix HD code attacks the IDE or the SCSI directly so that it can be 'compatible' with the Atari version?? Because that was the purpose of having the disks in the Atari 720kb format.

redblade 13 September 2005 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreas
If you are still interested in trying this, I can upload my custom ADF set for you (incl. the ADOS boot disk); this will be Minix 1.5.10 with the patch 1.5.10.2 applied.
Total size is roughly 4 MB (RAR'ed, full 9-disk set).

Worked perfectly! The only thing is that the system seems to be read-only throughout; that is, you cannot modify the init and other scripts in /etc, as they always get auto-reverted to their defaults, and I haven't yet found out the reason why. :rolleyes

Any chance you can upload the patched disks to the 1.5.10.2 release?

I have the boot disk, don't need that, just the MFM disks that have been patched please.

Also how do you mount the other /usr disks

i do /etc/umount /dev/dd0
insert a new disk then do
/etc/mount /dev/dd0 /usr

but when i do 'ls -la /usr' I have problems :(