English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.Missing Full Shareware Games (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   IN PROGRESS: Dark Angel (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=53719)

Jimbo 08 July 2010 00:57

IN PROGRESS: Dark Angel

Hey guys

I have a demo for a game called Dark Angel, it was produced by AMOS and the full game is available from Archoas Software. I only have the demo verison its basically like another world/flashback. Does anyone have the full game please?

Thanks

Peter 08 July 2010 01:28

I think the requests for this go way back - I have only ever seen the Demo version... it does look good though - I will check the Demo again and maybe drop one of my begging letters to the author if his details are on the disk readme somewhere...

That is unless anyone has the full version....

prowler 08 July 2010 01:30

It looks like you're right, Peter. Available torrents contain only the demo version (I've checked ;)).

Please try your letter writing magic again! :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown

Good luck! :great

Jimbo 08 July 2010 01:39

Hey

Yes please try your letter magic for this gem.

Thanks

Reynolds 08 July 2010 22:08

Jimbo: could you upload the demo to the Zone, please?

TCD 08 July 2010 22:13

Hi Reynolds,

have a look on the EAB file server (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43633) in the folder 'TOSEC/Games/Public Domain/[ADF]' (Dark Angel (demo-playable) (19xx)(Archaos Software - 17-Bit Software)(PD)[AMOS].zip) :)

skateblind 08 July 2010 22:53

Hmm, am I meant to be side stepping the whole time? I can't run or walk. I can kill the first guy, but not the second.

It looks good though and the tune at the start is great.

Retro1234 09 July 2010 15:23

You can run Right - Up/Right - I not sure about killing the guy stay as far away as possible crouch down and fire.

Its quite nicely drawn - Not to bad

Jimbo 09 July 2010 17:49

It deserves to be added to hol. I think it looks really nice.

TCD 09 July 2010 17:54

Hmm, since this is only a demo version of a PD game, I'm not really sure it should be added just yet. Let's hope someone finds the contact info for the author and maybe even a full version to turn up :)

Peter 09 July 2010 18:18

I have a letter ready that I will post over the weekend - there is an address for the author on the opening screen of the demo... (fingers crossed for a reply)

Pixelherder 17 August 2010 12:19

RE: Dark Angel

I had no idea anybody would still be interested in this 15 years later. I was responsible for the graphical half of the 'game', if you can call it that. It was basically a way to while away the summer with a friend before we went to Uni.

After finishing the mildly frustrating and experimental (in getting to grips with AMOS) first version, we did go a long way to programming a second, with tinier, more intricate graphics, different weapons, running BOTH ways and the ability to interact more with the environment. Pretty much like an extension to FlashBack. Typically, real-life and our degrees got in the way and it's only this week I've thought to check up on if anything still exists online about it.

I might still have some material hovering around somewhere in the garage. I'll see if I can dig it out at some point and if the old Amiga still fires up too.

Regards all,

Karl

nujack 17 August 2010 12:36

@Pixelherder: That would be awesome. Would be nice to see some unreleased material from that game. I played DarkAngel some years ago and was surprised about the quality. The same style like AnotherWorld or Flashback, two of my all time favourites.

Jimbo 17 August 2010 12:36

Hi and welcome to EAB

I found the graphics very nice on this game so nice work on that :) If you could find the original Dark Angel and anything to do with the second game we would all love to see it :) The Amiga community is stronger then ever right now. Always nice to see the people who made these games come on here and tell us what they used to do. Was there anything else you worked on besides Dark Angel? Look forward to seeing if you can find anything.

Thanks for signing up and giving us some info. We also have guys on here that can preserve all yours old disks and send them back to you if you needed any help.

Cheers

Peter 17 August 2010 12:42

I've made a little progress on this (Dark Angel) and have contacted the Artist... I will up date my Search thread a bit later on today...

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=47661

Oh wow - he's here!!!

Welcome to EAB pixelherder - I spoke to you on Facebook!!

Jimbo 17 August 2010 12:46

@Peter

You deserve a gold star. Thanks for taking your time to follow this up :)

Pixelherder 17 August 2010 15:07

RE: Dark Angel

We only really got into 'proper' game realisation when playing with AMOS. Out first release on the platform was Dark Angel and was supposed to be followed up with DA2. We did release a few puzzle-type games inbetween but I'll need to check with Edward about what those were.

I think the distinctively enjoyable part of making Dark Angel was that we used a rotoscoping technique for all of the character movements. Basically, filming Edward performing various Jitsu moves in the garden, then digitising into DPaint for artworking. That took ages, but kept us out of trouble. I'll see if Ed can locate the score too, there may well have been a number of tracks produced for the sequel, but again I can't remember.

Before AMOS, we generally tweaked about with a few adventure style games on the PET, but nothing we released. It was all for fun, I really don't think we realised the potential for what we were doing compared to preparing to go to uni.

Karl

Peter 17 August 2010 15:20

I always remember being amazed at the time by that digitised shot in the game opening credits - I wondered if it was you or Edward playing the Conrad B. Hart role!!

Pixelherder 17 August 2010 17:58

I much preferred being the unseen contributor, so Ed can take the bow!

TCD 17 August 2010 18:06

Hi Karl and welcome to EAB :)

Good to see you and some more info about Dark Angel around :great Just to make it clear for me : A full version of this game exists? Did you ever offered it a shareware publisher?