English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   WinUAE 4.9.0 beta series (Was 4.5.0) (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=104099)

Toni Wilen 09 December 2020 19:07

I have noticed some demos having glitches. Something wrong in new blitter emulation most likely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertBlizzard (Post 1445207)
Also, on another note, DX11 screen tears A LOT compared to other betas and older revisions of WinUAE. DX9 is great, just as are all the others.

There is no D3D9 or D3D11 changes in latest beta (except warp mode change). Did you retest that it wasn't some display driver update reseting some settings?

DamienD 09 December 2020 20:18

Well 12 x betas and I still can't get Hexen to run without immediately crashing :crying

I know that you said it's too much trouble to debug Toni, but it literally happens 100% of the time, usually within 10 seconds of launching and before even starting the game now.

I think this is related to "dmxemul.lib" (although I've tried all versions) and JIT.

Mad-Matt 09 December 2020 20:31

What about using one of the other Hexen ports?

I don't think Hexen has been well ported to the Amiga. They are all lacking something.

I've not got any real issues with Christian Sauers port off the heretic/hexen cd and works fine with jit but It lacks music as WinUAE midi out doesn't seem to work anymore.

HHexen isnt to bad, it uses doomsound.lib for music but it has strange command buffering like issue where it lags for a second or two of movement then suddenly takes off.

Vaxen for PPC was the best port I ever used on real Amiga.

Toni Wilen 09 December 2020 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1445329)
Well 12 x betas and I still can't get Hexen to run without immediately crashing :crying

I know that you said it's too much trouble to debug Toni, but it literally happens 100% of the time, usually within 10 seconds of launching and before even starting the game now.

I think this is related to "dmxemul.lib" (although I've tried all versions) and JIT.

Not again. Stop posting about this stupid game in winuae beta threads. This is not a winuae problem. It is broken game. Why would I need to care about buggy game, especially game that is better run natively? Using emulation to run PC ports of games is absolutely pointless.

DamienD 09 December 2020 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 1445334)
Not again. Stop posting about this stupid game in winuae beta threads. This is not a winuae problem. It is broken game. Why would I need to care about buggy game, especially game that is better run natively? Using emulation to run PC ports of games is absolutely pointless.

Oh my, people post silly bugs with WHDLoad games running on supped up OSs / configs and yet I'm not allowed to mention Hexen :rolleyes

Considering it happens 100% of the time and immediately; I'm sure if you actually looked at this you'd find the issue pretty quick.

Anyway... fine Toni, won't happen again...

thomas 09 December 2020 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 1444755)
M.A.S.T. Fireball:

There's still some issue with this. It only works if the only non-chip RAM is Slow RAM. If you remove Slow RAM and/or if you add Z2 RAM it creates read errors and all kinds of related errors (checksum errors, file not found, bad load hunk, error validating disk etc.)

This is especially bad because the card is meant for an A2000 which normally does not have Slow RAM.

Quote:

- Not RDB compatible. Uses same partition table structure as A2090.
It has some feature beyond that: it allows the partition table to begin at offset 4. So it can be hidden in the boot block of an OFS partition (offset 0 = 0x444f5300, offset 4 = 0xBABE0000). A HDD prepped for the FireBall does not mount the DH0 partition as OFS. It mounts the RES0 a.k.a. BOOT partition as OFS and from there you can mount DH0 as FFS. This way the first two cylinders of the HDD are not wasted as they are with the A2090a. It's a pity that the install disk is not available.

Toni Wilen 09 December 2020 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1445340)
Oh my, people post silly bugs with WHDLoad games running on supped up OSs / configs and yet I'm not allowed to mention Hexen :rolleyes

I said WINUAE BETA THREAD! This is not a WinUAE problem. It can't be that difficult to understand that there are games that are broken and has nothing to do with emulation even if it appears to work in some versions. I have said it many times already and you still post about it in beta threads.

Quote:

Considering it happens 100% of the time and immediately; I'm sure if you actually looked at this you'd find the issue pretty quick.
It was already practically confirmed that it is only your system where it happens regularly. Probably because it is so old.

Confirm with at least 2 different people with modern systems before bothering with me next time.

Toni Wilen 09 December 2020 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas (Post 1445345)
There's still some issue with this. It only works if the only non-chip RAM is Slow RAM. If you remove Slow RAM and/or if you add Z2 RAM it creates read errors and all kinds of related errors (checksum errors, file not found, bad load hunk, error validating disk etc.)

This is especially bad because the card is meant for an A2000 which normally does not have Slow RAM.

My test config has 512k chip + 4M Z2 Fast. Fireball boots fine with my test A2090 partition and reads and writes work.

DamienD 09 December 2020 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 1445350)
I said WINUAE BETA THREAD! This is not a WinUAE problem. It can't be that difficult to understand that there are games that are broken and has nothing to do with emulation even if it appears to work in some versions. I have said it many times already and you still post about it in beta threads.

I'm well aware that this is a beta thread; and I haven't broken any of your rules by posting about this game here.

The rules state:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 1430105)
WinUAE 4.5.0 beta series.

As usual, this thread is only for 4.5.0 beta introduced bugs or features. Always test with 4.4.0 first! Problem exists in 4.4.0 or older: do not post in this thread!

Well I've tested the game in 4.4.0 and it works so... this issue has appeared in the 4.5.0 betas.

Quote:

It was already practically confirmed that it is only your system where it happens regularly. Probably because it is so old.

Confirm with at least 2 different people with modern systems before bothering with me next time.

That is untrue.

The people who confirmed it working are using the Aminet version; not the one on CD-ROM, which is different / later.

You can read everything in this thread: Heretic & Hexen - crashes in v4.5.0 betas

As mentioned, I believe this is related to "dmxemul.lib" (although I've tried all versions) and JIT.

The Aminet version also works fine for me, but it lacks features of the CD-ROM version:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1435936)
Also the Aminet version runs fine, but this an earlier version, is missing the startup loading screen and MIDI music in game...

To people that have my collecton, please test "Heretic & Hexen [AmigaCD] [RTG] [MS-DOS conversion]" on your computers with v4.5.0 betas and post if it works for you in this thread:
Heretic & Hexen - crashes in v4.5.0 betas

DamienD 10 December 2020 00:59

Quote:

I should probably add some extra information in regards to the above.

Working in IT for a world-wide American finance firm; I also have access to the latest models that we roll out.

I have also tested "Hexen" with WinUAE v4.5.0 betas on these Dells:
  • Latitude 7280 (Intel Core i5 7300 / 8GB RAM / Windows 10 1903) i.e. my work laptop that I can't be bothered upgrading yet.
  • Latitude 7400 (Intel Core i7-8665U / Intel UHD 620 GPU / 32GB RAM / Windows 10 1903)
...same thing occurs, so you can't blame my old laptop; which is still quite decent and runs Diablo III / MAME / Playstation 2 emulation etc. well.

DesertBlizzard 10 December 2020 01:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 1445317)
There is no D3D9 or D3D11 changes in latest beta (except warp mode change). Did you retest that it wasn't some display driver update reseting some settings?

I'll do some more testing. I am running on a system I just stood up for dedicated WinUAE use running WinUAE as Windows Shell. I am noticing that the fan is ramping up on the old ATI 2400XT which might explain the tearing. I'll try and get this under control and see if the tearing is simply because of heat related issues on this old video card.

FWIW, Hexen runs fine on my setup.

thomas 10 December 2020 07:59

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 1445353)
My test config has 512k chip + 4M Z2 Fast. Fireball boots fine with my test A2090 partition and reads and writes work.

Here is my test config. It gives checksum error in disk block 1765.

If I remove Z2 RAM I get Setpatch error 7364.

If I add Slow RAM it boots without issues.

DamienD 10 December 2020 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertBlizzard (Post 1445397)
FWIW, Hexen runs fine on my setup.

Yeah that's real helpful...

The CD-ROM version or the Aminet version? As mentioned, the older Aminet version, which misses features, also works absolutely fine for me...

On plain Workbench 3.1 like I use, or something else?

rutra80 10 December 2020 22:57

Damien I tested your config on latest x64 beta and some funky stuff is going on:

The only way to avoid Hexen guru is to enable Cycle-exact (DMA/Memory accesses)

BUT

if I switch your config from DX9 to DX11, I can disable the above option and then the only switch which affects guru is More compatible CPU - disabled = no guru, enabled = guru.

HOWEVER

if I use your HDF with my 3.1.4 or heavily customised 3.9 install, your Hexen works even with JIT and all the bells and whistles.

Zarnal 11 December 2020 09:45

Beta thread...

amiga_amigo 11 December 2020 10:18

Hi!
Bug(?) with beta12 (beta11 is ok): A4000 (68040) quickstart configuration (just added a workbench hd).
Boots fine with emulation speed "fastest possible" but refuses to do anything when changing to "Approximate... or cycle exact" and setting any CPU frequency 2x, 4x, 8x, custom.
HD symbol in bottom status bar flashes 2 times then nothing...

Hit the Reset button in the UI and this second time the system boots.

EDIT:
Sorry - just checked again. I must have had a weird config. Now i can't even get the "custom" option anymore in the CPU frequency settings. Seems like the UI got confused somehow since i didn't alter my config manually.
Now it works without JIT and the more compatible options.

Michael

DamienD 11 December 2020 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by rutra80 (Post 1445546)
Damien I tested your config on latest x64 beta and some funky stuff is going on:

The only way to avoid Hexen guru is to enable Cycle-exact (DMA/Memory accesses)

BUT

if I switch your config from DX9 to DX11, I can disable the above option and then the only switch which affects guru is More compatible CPU - disabled = no guru, enabled = guru.

HOWEVER

if I use your HDF with my 3.1.4 or heavily customised 3.9 install, your Hexen works even with JIT and all the bells and whistles.

Thanks for taking a look.

I'll quote your post and reply in this thread:
Heretic & Hexen - crashes in v4.5.0 betas

Toni Wilen 11 December 2020 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas (Post 1445407)
Here is my test config. It gives checksum error in disk block 1765.

If I remove Z2 RAM I get Setpatch error 7364.

If I add Slow RAM it boots without issues.

Fixed. Weird DMA address setup.. If any nybble of address was supposed to be 6, it got set to 7. (Nybble values from 0 to 6 use different method to set than nybble values 8 to 15. 7 is sort of "default" value)

amilo3438 13 December 2020 00:08

Crash Landing (Crack Intro) by Scoopex -> http://janeway.exotica.org.uk/release.php?id=8311

A500 OCS / ECS ... Shifted screen to the right side! (starting from 4.5.0 beta series)

Edit: Shifting happens only on ECS Agnus, on OCS seems fine! (not sure is that correct behavior or not)

amilo3438 13 December 2020 01:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 1445317)
I have noticed some demos having glitches. Something wrong in new blitter emulation most likely.

fugazi by Old Bulls -> http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=17987

Noticed some glitches in beta 12!

FYI: During some demos testing got a few times emu crashes after pressing on the RESET button in the WinUAE! (but cant attach the dump files as my quota is very low)