English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Which setup to use - AmiKit, Amithlon, ClassicWB etc (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=105979)

lesta_smsc 24 February 2021 02:42

Which setup to use - AmiKit, Amithlon, ClassicWB etc

Hello all,

So back in the day, when I first discovered WinUAE it was via AIAB - what an impressive easy to use set up this was. Created by James 'jaybee' Maurice Battle (I wonder what he is up to these days?)

Anyhow, WinUAE has become increasingly more advanced and more true to the original Amiga in terms of compatibility for the basic user (aka me).

Currently, I am using the nice ClassicWB set up for my WinUAE set up (and briefly had this on my Amiga too but the very lightweight version). However, given the fact that I am actually running the 'Amiga' on a relatively more powerful machine, my options are not limited and so I can potentially use a GUI that is more akin to AIAB.

What would people recommend in this scenario? I am not sure how easy Amikit or Amithlon is to configure, but the screenshots look amazing!

Also, would there be any issue with compatibility of apps like WHDLoad as I definitely need that working! The other thing is that I can have the best of 2 worlds:
1) Playing Amiga titles, listening to MODs etc
2) Accessing the internet and doing things I would usually do on a PC

I'm hoping someone has already come across this dilemma...

Lesta_SMC

cloverskull 24 February 2021 04:13

AmiKit makes all these things very simple. If what you want is a fully configured, ready to go out of the box, classic inspired Amiga experience, I'd recommend using AmiKit (and donating to the people that have worked hard to bring this to us!).

That said, for my run-on-hardware configs, I definitely prefer ClassicWB, and am dismayed we haven't heard from Bloodwych in a while...those workbench packs were truly lightning in a bottle!

Anubis 24 February 2021 16:12

I still use ClassicWB on both PC and RPi emulation.

alanwall 24 February 2021 17:40

I used AmigaForever for awhile and then found AmiKit and have used for years !
And if you run into a problem, then head to the AmiKit forum and get an answer in hours
or days. The free version is still around but the paid version is the one that is being updated.

chip 24 February 2021 17:55

I personally use Classic WB Lite edition ...... no problem at all ! :)

lesta_smsc 24 February 2021 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanwall (Post 1464977)
I used AmigaForever for awhile and then found AmiKit and have used for years !
And if you run into a problem, then head to the AmiKit forum and get an answer in hours
or days. The free version is still around but the paid version is the one that is being updated.

Yes, AmigaForever comes with AmigaSys built in and nicely configured actually... tempted to just go with that lol.