English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.FS-UAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Fuzzy screen on OSX (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=80725)

idrougge 17 December 2015 14:43

Fuzzy screen on OSX

I installed FSUAE on my Macbook, but the Workbench screen looks fuzzy and interpolated in window mode. Why is this?

wilshy 29 December 2015 21:06

What would help is following the thread "FS-UAE Stable Series - Questions, Feedback and Bug Reports" as you need to provide some more information.

Also screenshots may help as well :)

FrodeSolheim 16 January 2016 10:59

Hi, the screen is (a bit) fuzzy because the Workbench screen opens at 640x512 (after line doubling), and FS-UAE uses a 960x540 window by default, and by default, the window content is stretched.

You can avoid this by specifying something like this:
Code:

window_width = 640
window_height = 512
zoom = 640x512

(The last line is to ensure that the Amiga display is rendered at 640x512, even if you open a smaller Amiga screen for example).

You might also like using a larger window instead, if you also want to run overscanned stuff:
Code:

window_width = 704
window_height = 540
zoom = 704x540

idrougge 16 January 2016 17:31

Thank you, but why is the screen stretched when it's not necessary?

ReadOnlyCat 17 January 2016 06:08

If you choose integer scaling for the rendering then you will not have any fuzziness. At least I do not recall seeing any blurring on my MacBook Pro but then I always tweak settings before launching an emulator for the first time so I rarely get to see what the defaults look like. ;)

I personally think this option should be on by default since it guarantees a crisp display.
If people want to get rid of pixels and blur the display then they can tweak the settings but the original machine had very visible pixels (although round-ish ones in hires) so I think emulators ought to reproduce this by default.

mawigator 01 February 2016 12:39

Hi!

I have encountered similar problem in SuperHires (Laced or not) mode. Platform MacOSX (Captain). Monitor 1366x768. I have tried to change window and scale as described above, however without success. It looks like some pixels still are interpolated/dropped - easy to see on OS' frames. In appears also in fullscreen mode (streched or aspect corrected using GUI button). Here is a screenshot:

http://s28.postimg.org/ybkjvr7lp/Zrz...o_12_28_43.png

ReadOnlyCat 01 February 2016 14:46

Cf my post above.
Most likely you have "integer scaling" unchecked and "bilinear filtering" enabled.

If your emulator window/screen has more pixels than the Amiga screen with the two options above, the image will be blurry. Enabling "integer scaling" and replacing "bilinear filtering" with "no filter" will fix it.

FrodeSolheim 03 February 2016 22:41

@mawigator @ReadOnlyCat this is not the same problem. Without having investigated this particular issue, I expect it is because FS-UAE does not really support super hi-res. In fact, I have never tried it myself. I expect the problem is that every other pixel column is dropped - or something like that.

Also @ReadOnlyCat you are referring to WinUAE gui options which does not exist - well, similar functionality exists in FS-UAE, but not with those names :)

idrougge 15 February 2016 16:16

What's the point in opening a 960 x 540 screen when it doesn't map to any known Amiga resolution or aspect ratio?

FrodeSolheim 15 February 2016 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by idrougge (Post 1070613)
What's the point in opening a 960 x 540 screen when it doesn't map to any known Amiga resolution or aspect ratio?

A combination of reasons:
- FS-UAE was originally designed for fullscreen 16:9 resolutions, and the window mode was chosen to reflect the fullscreen behavior.
- The *default* zoom option is auto, so the Amiga resolution may change a lot anyway.
- The in-emulator menu looks best in 16:9 because the menu doesn't work nicely with other aspect ratios (it works of course, but it is squeezed).
- It has been the default behavior for some time.

This may very well change in the future, I have some specific ideas for changes. But, I won't change the default window resolution without also doing several other well thought-out changes at the same time. Otherwise, any change in default behavior will only be annoying. Until such time, you can of course override the defaults.