English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   AMR contributions (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   tri-format coverdisk: New Computer Express - Issue 148 - Cover Disk 1 (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=104511)

solarmon 31 October 2020 14:50

tri-format coverdisk: New Computer Express - Issue 148 - Cover Disk 1

Hi,

I have a tri-format coverdisk New Computer Express - Issue 148 - Cover Disk 1 which I have uploaded to The Zone!:

http://eab.abime.net/zone/New%20Comp...20Disk%201.scp

I can get the disk to work in Amiga emulation and hardware (note the Amiga MFM format is FFS, not OFS, so only works with Kickstart 2.0 or higher Amigas).

I cannot get the image to be recognised in STEEM emulator, or the physical disk read in a USB floppy drive on a PC (the USB floppy drive can read DD and HD PC disks OK).

Can somebody take a look at the image and say whether it should work, and how, on an ST (emulator) and on a PC USB floppy drive?

Thank you.

dlfrsilver 31 October 2020 17:13

Making an IPF is the only solution.

EDIT : and in a kryoflux dump. As it is, i get errors on conversion between SCP and KF format.

solarmon 31 October 2020 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlfrsilver (Post 1438190)
Making an IPF is the only solution.

EDIT : and in a kryoflux dump. As it is, i get errors on conversion between SCP and KF format.

Thanks for looking.

But why would the SCP image not work in STEEM? And why it not load in a USB PC floppy drive?

The image, when looking at it in HxC software, looks clean:

http://i.imgur.com/vIVIgQPb.png

Unless it has been modified in some way?

What errors on which tracks do you see in your conversion?

dlfrsilver 31 October 2020 17:53

the errors on converting comes from the fact that SCP dumps are oversampled (read : more than required).

Converting from KF to SCP works but not the other way around due to that.

I need a KF dump to be able to help.

solarmon 31 October 2020 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlfrsilver (Post 1438195)
the errors on converting comes from the fact that SCP dumps are oversampled (read : more than required).

Converting from KF to SCP works but not the other way around due to that.

I need a KF dump to be able to help.

Unfortunately I only have a Greaseweazle. I'm not sure what you mean by oversampling. I assume you don't mean the number of revolutions?

dlfrsilver 31 October 2020 22:56

the number of revolution is 5 normally. do you confirm ?

Mikerochip 31 October 2020 23:40

How does the .scp look in Aufit?

ma693541 01 November 2020 00:25

@solarmon, don't link directly to a file in The Zone in a thread, because they will be deleted after some time.

solarmon 01 November 2020 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlfrsilver (Post 1438254)
the number of revolution is 5 normally. do you confirm ?

For Greaseweazle, the default number of revs is 3. I can change it to 5, but I don't think that is going to change anything.

Keir has had a look at it and has identified some issue with track 0. It seems the ST/PC part of it may be corrupted.

I'm looking for another working tri-format cover disk or image to be able to compare with. The New Computer Express cover disk images on the EAB FTP servers are only ADF ones and only seem to have Amiga MFM tracks.

solarmon 01 November 2020 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by ma693541 (Post 1438268)
@solarmon, don't link directly to a file in The Zone in a thread, because they will be deleted after some time.

I have done that intentionally as this is only meant to be a temporary file until we can verify it is OK. Once that has been done then somebody can add it to the FTP server if it is deemed fit.

solarmon 04 November 2020 12:34

It looks like track 0 is too damaged/corrupted/overwritten to be able to recover this disk.

I was provided with another New Computer Express cover disk image (Disk 4), but using track 0 from that wasn't enough to be able to recover the ST/PC parts of it. It was recognised and the file/directory structure was there, but the data/contents seems to be corrupted.

So, I'm still looking for a clean image of New Computer Express Disk 1.

Retroplay 05 November 2020 05:33

I've upped some dual and triple format coverdisks to the zone.
I tested Atari ST in Steem SSE, Amiga in WinUAE and DOS games in MAME.
It works all thanks to Keirs latest rnc_dualformat and rnc_triformat in disk-analyse. :D

Screenshot from DOS part, taken in MAME.
https://i.imgur.com/0lGYRD1.png
MAME is apparently the only DOS emulator capable of running ipf images (looking at you DOSBOX and PCem :scream).

solarmon 05 November 2020 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retroplay (Post 1439059)
It works all thanks to Keirs latest rnc_dualformat and rnc_triformat in disk-analyse. :D

Screenshot from DOS part, taken in MAME.
https://i.imgur.com/0lGYRD1.png
MAME is apparently the only DOS emulator capable of running ipf images (looking at you DOSBOX and PCem :scream).

Great! :bowdown

Keir will be pleased to have some more tri-format images to look at! :great

As well as Ace, Zero and New Computer Express, the 'Public Domain' magazine also had tri-format coverdisks. I'll be getting a couple of those soon, so I will hopefully be able to get clean image dumps of them.

chip 05 November 2020 09:49

This is really something new for me .... tri-format ? :shocked

I knew of dual format only indeed :rolleyes

Keir 05 November 2020 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by chip (Post 1439075)
This is really something new for me .... tri-format ? :shocked

I knew of dual format only indeed :rolleyes

The Tri-Format (Amiga,ST,PC) is really a dual format at the sector and even filesystem level, as ST and PC share the same FAT filesystem.

Rob's old Dual-Format (Amiga,ST) excludes PC because it uses a 10-sector-per-track single-sided layout for the ST tracks, which isn't supported by PC.

chip 05 November 2020 10:38

Ahhh, thanks for the info :)

Keir 05 November 2020 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retroplay (Post 1439059)

Any chance you can upload your original dumps (SCP or Kryoflux)? It's good for me to have a library of raw dumps for testing.

Retroplay 05 November 2020 17:39

@Keir, you got a pm. :)

Keir 05 November 2020 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retroplay (Post 1439165)
@Keir, you got a pm. :)

Thanks for those!! :great

Retroplay 05 November 2020 22:25

Zero #17 in the zone.
Steem SSE/WinUAE tested. :)