English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.FS-UAE (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   FS-UAE Translations (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=64143)

olesio 03 May 2012 00:00

1 Attachment(s)
Polish translation attached. Because there was not many texts to translate, so I found some time to do this right now. And I hope I did not any errors. Maybe when Shoonay find some time He fix it if need it. And one more note about the translation: in Polish language writing words which are not at the beginning of sentences, are not some title, are not salutation to a person, are not country name or proper name should not be writing by capital letter because this is gramatical error. But probable FS-UAE show all entries in upper case, so it should be not a problem :) And I wrote them from capital letter as in Italian or original *.po file. And word "Joystick" as foregin term was leaved as it stay in English. In early era of Computers some Polish producers tried to invent some Polish equivalents. But these equivalents sounded ridiculous and just funny.

FrodeSolheim 03 May 2012 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by olesio (Post 816019)
Polish translation attached. Because there was not many texts to translate, so I found some time to do this right now. And I hope I did not any errors. Maybe when Shoonay find some time He fix it if need it. And one more note about the translation: in Polish language writing words which are not at the beginning of sentences, are not some title, are not salutation to a person, are not country name or proper name should not be writing by capital letter because this is gramatical error. But probable FS-UAE show all entries in upper case, so it should be not a problem :) And I wrote them from capital letter as in Italian or original *.po file.

Hi, the English words are capitalized because this is common in headings, titles and menu elements. If this is not common in Polish, you should not follow the English convention, so based on your explanation:
Code:

msgid "No Host Device"
msgstr "Brak Urządzenia Głownego"

should really be:
Code:

msgid "No Host Device"
msgstr "Brak urządzenia głownego"

(your explained rules for Polish also applies to Norwegian, by the way)

You are correct that it does not matter with the current font, because I have made it all caps (lower case characters are rendered as upper case). But this could change in the future, so the translation should be correct. You can send me an updated po file if you want to.

FrodeSolheim 03 May 2012 00:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by olesio (Post 816019)
In early era of Computers some Polish producers tried to invent some Polish equivalents. But these equivalents sounded ridiculous and just funny.

Same here; Norwegians should ideally say "styrespake" (control stick) or something, but everyone says Joystick here as well ;-) I would recommend you to translate using words would be considered normal by most Polish people, and go with "Joystick" if that is common :)

The bad news now is that I have to draw more characters again ;)

olesio 03 May 2012 00:49

1 Attachment(s)
New fixed version attahced. Because adjectives in Polish should be written from lower letter I change it too. Also if some entries are too long let me know and I fix them to shortcut form. Also like I checked Joystick have polish word: http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dżojstik where english letters are translated to sound the same in polish, but "Dżojstik" for me looks very funny and strange, so I leaved original English word because Polish Internauts and viewers gave nickname for Joanna Krupa which was host of Polish edition crappy TV program "Top Model" - "Dżoanna", because he use it very funny Polish language which was mix of Polish and English words so it was associated with this fact :) And like I suspect before, you must add new font for polish texts but I hope that will not be such a big problem.

FrodeSolheim 03 May 2012 01:34

I have implemented the disk/CD eject menu mechanism. So, to test out the translation cycle, the po files here: http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/devel/po/fs-uae/ are now updated with new strings ("Eject" and "Configuration file not found"). You can send me updated po files by email (more practical than posting here) at your convenience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by olesio (Post 816040)
New fixed version attahced. ... And like I suspect before, you must add new font for polish texts but I hope that will not be such a big problem.

I'll have to reprogram it a bit as well, as not all Polish characters are in ISO-8859-15 which I designed the bitmap font for :(. Oh well, I'll use unicode code points and allow the bitmap font to extend > 256 chars. This will have to wait until tomorrow evening, need some sleep too ;)

Speedvicio 03 May 2012 14:15

Hi Frode!
I have posted to your mail the updated po file ;)

FrodeSolheim 03 May 2012 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedvicio (Post 816105)
Hi Frode!
I have posted to your mail the updated po file ;)

Thank you, looking good :)

A bit off-topic, here are some fun statistics from April (slightly related to locale). This is the top 10 list of countries by number of FS-UAE web page visits (from Google Analytics):

http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/top_countries.png

So we have now translations for 6 of the top 10 countries (if we ignore the difference between US/UK English). While I retrieved the graph, I began wondering how the list would like if corrected for number of inhabitants! So, based on population numbers from Wikipeda, I created a top 25 list of countries based on visits per capita.

Code:

1. Denmark
 2. Austria
 3. Finland
 4. Norway
 5. Serbia
 6. Netherlands
 7. Germany
 8. United Kingdom
 9. France
10. Sweden
11. Italy
12. Portugal
13. Switzerland
14. Poland
15. Spain
16. Hungary
17. Belgium
18. Greece
19. Czech Republic
20. Australia
21. Japan
22. Canada
23. United States
24. South Korea
25. Brazil

Back on topic again, I'll make a new release later tonigh with updated character set (Polish characters), updated translations, and some new features :)

Speedvicio 03 May 2012 18:33

I believe that the proportion of visits is also linked to the spread of the Amiga in those territories.
It is a bit strange to find the United States to a position so low.

Foul 03 May 2012 19:17

personally, i visit your website & eab more than 10x a day :D

FrodeSolheim 03 May 2012 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foul (Post 816171)
personally, i visit your website & eab more than 10x a day :D

No wonder France is high up on the list then :)

I have added some comments to the translations files. In poEdit, you should enable visibility of this with:
Code:

View -> Show automatic comments window
and enabling the following is also a good idea:
Code:

View -> Show comments window
(allowing the translator to add comments to specific strings)

Please go through all sub-menus to look for strings which are too long.
  • This string seems to be to long in several translations: "No host device", especially when shown in the menu like this: [J] No host device. If "No host device" cannot be translated short enough, translating "No device" is good enough. Same for "No Amiga Device".
  • "Joystick Port %d Mode" also is too long in some translations.

New version 1.3.2 is now out with updated translations, including Polish and Polish characters added to the bitmap font.

FrodeSolheim 05 May 2012 22:51

Notice to translators:

If a text is not supposed to be translated, for instance if you want to have "Joystick" in the translated version of FS-UAE, you should still explicitly translate "Joystick" -> "Joystick".

Even though it works to leave it blank, this won't tell anyone else reading the po file that the "non-translation" is by design, and it will show up in stats as missing translations!

Status of translations:

Code:

msgfmt --verbose po/de.po -o share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/fs-uae.mo
35 translated messages, 6 untranslated messages.

msgfmt --verbose po/fr.po -o share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/fs-uae.mo

msgfmt --verbose po/it.po -o share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/fs-uae.mo
32 translated messages, 9 untranslated messages.

msgfmt --verbose po/pl.po -o share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/fs-uae.mo

Updated po files to download and translate here: http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/devel/po/fs-uae

Foul 06 May 2012 12:05

1 Attachment(s)
updated French language :

- added accents
- translated "joystick" by "Contrôleur de Jeux"
- Added latest missing traductions

:)

FrodeSolheim 06 May 2012 12:32

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foul (Post 816732)
updated French language :

- added accents
- translated "joystick" by "Contrôleur de Jeux"
- Added latest missing traductions

Great!, I have merged your changes and updated http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/devel/po/fs-uae/
Some notes:
* Only 1 translation missing for fr now :)
* Some texts are too wide for the menu (attached screens) - you can try out your own translations by replacing share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/fs-uae.mo with the fr.mo compiled from poEdit.
* You have used Unicode Character 'RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK' (U+2019) for apostrophe. The latest released FS-UAE will show this as ?, but don't worry about it. I have added code to replace U+2019 with a normal apostrophe when rendering the bitmap font, so it will look ok in 1.3.3 and you don't have to modify this translation.

Foul 06 May 2012 12:41

maybe we can let "Joystick" instead of "Controleur de Jeux", i think everyone know what is a Joystick ;)

Where is the missing traduction ? all is translated here ...

edit: found : "Zoom is disabled in RTG mode" = "Zoom désactivé en mode RTG"

FrodeSolheim 06 May 2012 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foul (Post 816738)
maybe we can let "Joystick" instead of "Controleur de Jeux", i think everyone know what is a Joystick ;)

Fine by me (But I'm not French, so I suppose it doesn't count!) :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foul (Post 816738)
Where is the missing traduction ? all is translated here ...

When you have sent me a po file, I will merge it with FS-UAE. If I have a marked one or more new texts to be translated since the last time, fr.po will be updated with these new texts. I then publish the files here: http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/devel/po/fs-uae/

So in simple terms: when you want to update translations, you should download http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/devel/po/fs-uae/fr.po and edit this file, and not re-open the one you sent me earlier :)

(The exception is when I have not yet merged the translations, and your own po file is newer than the one at http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/devel/po/fs-uae/fr.po).

Foul 06 May 2012 12:59

1 Attachment(s)
re-updated :

- reverted "Controleur de Jeux" by "Joystick"
- shortened "Périphérique" by "Périph."
- Better "No ..." translation ("Absent" is better in french than "Pas de" )
- Added "Zoom is disabled in RTG mode" translation

FrodeSolheim 06 May 2012 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foul (Post 816743)
re-updated :

- reverted "Controleur de Jeux" by "Joystick"
- shortened "Périphérique" by "Périph."
- Better "No ..." translation ("Absent" is better in french than "Pas de" )
- Added "Zoom is disabled in RTG mode" translation

Looks perfect! (disclaimer: I don't speak French, so emphasis on "looks" ;)) -French is the first complete (*) translation. Will be included in 1.3.3 of course.

(*) With regard to the texts currently marked for translation

nexusle 06 May 2012 18:29

Hi Frode

here the updated german translation. As bonus, I send you my created TOPAZ menu font. Some special characters are missing because I can't find them in my used TOPAZ TTF font.

FrodeSolheim 06 May 2012 18:58

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nexusle (Post 816787)
Hi Frode

here the updated german translation. As bonus, I send you my created TOPAZ menu font. Some special characters are missing because I can't find them in my used TOPAZ TTF font.

Thank you, German is now complete! :)

One string is still too long (screenshot attached): "Parallel Joystick Anschlüsse"
Does it make sense to translate it to just: "Parallel Anschlüsse" ?

I think the topaz menu font deserves to be published somewhere, so I'll create a "Resources" page on the FS-UAE page and make it available for download there.

Speedvicio has also just completed the Italian translations! :great There too, one string is too long for the menu (shown in screenshot). Is is possible to shorten or abbreviate it?

nexusle 06 May 2012 19:27

Updated german translation