English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Nostalgia & memories (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The AMIGA was crap because.... (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=5965)

Dastardly 20 August 2002 00:46

The AMIGA was crap because....

:D
I expect youve come in fuming and ready to rant and tear me to shreads but..
What (if any) were the faults of our favourite machine?

My trivial gripes are:

Stupid disk drive kept slipping down so I couldnt insert disks properly :mad
Annoying positioning of joystick/mouse ports on rear of computer :confused
Great ugly modulator sticking out of back!
Crap mouse after crap mouse (or maybe that was just me)
That damn noisy drive, grrrrrr@SOTB3
Too many good games to copy and not enough time in the day ;)

Despite these admittedly minor complaints, my Amiga500 was and is the best computer/games machine Ive ever owned :)

What bugged you......?

EDIT: The title of this thread was merely an attention grabber :D

v8juice 20 August 2002 01:04

Yikes! You got my attention... My only "gripe" was the occasional guru meditation, nothing compared to windows, nothing at all. Nothing. No thing.

Dastardly 20 August 2002 01:09

Of course, the Amiga was a rock compared to Windows. Im just asking to see if anyone had any moans AT ALL about our beloved Meega :)

Daz 20 August 2002 01:22

It took all of my money away from me as a teenager, and made me have to get up early in a morning so I could run down to the local swap shop to see if i could find something i'd not played.

I hate you for that! I hate getting up early! :laughing

v8juice 20 August 2002 01:27

Quote:

Originally posted by Dastardly
Of course, the Amiga was a rock compared to Windows. Im just asking to see if anyone had any moans AT ALL about our beloved Meega :)
I don't have mine anymore. I want to cry. You really are Dastardly...
(characterized by underhandedness or treachery <a dastardly attack> <a dastardly villain)

blackcornflake 20 August 2002 01:30

Well, I've racked my grey cell, and taken into consideration my experiences with A500, A500+, desktop and towered A1200.

I can honestly say I have no gripes whatsoever. :D

Nice one Dast! You just reminded me how much I love my Meega. Awwww. I'll polish it tomorrow. :)

RetroMan 20 August 2002 01:51

..... it was far too expensive when it came out :scream I had to wait half a year before I could afford it that days :cheese

Djay 20 August 2002 02:50

its not Amiga's fault, but having the internet at that time would of been handy

i can't really think of anything that made the Amiga crap, it was (at the time) a commercial success and it had a pretty good underground scene too (which a lot of todays *console* gamers miss out on).

the only thing that slighty pissed me off was of course disk drive clicking... which meant you HAD to play "9 Fingers" extra loud;)

but even now compared to stupidly high spec'ed computers it ROCKS!!!

Amiga1992 20 August 2002 04:22

Hmm.. i still don't like the diskdrives because they break a lot and then you are in deep shit trying to find a replacement.

I think that's all.. being that I never had an A500, I didnt have problems like joystick/mice port placement (though the A1200 has them in the back. I dont like that.), the mouse was great imo, and... nothing :)

Oh yes, one thing... The ultraseparated stereo... They should have made the thing have a widemix feel to it, or something. Sometimes it gets to bother you, specially if you listen with headphones.

Pete 20 August 2002 04:55

The only bad thing I can really think of is the truely bad marketing and management that killed the company. :sad

Shatterhand 20 August 2002 06:21

HEY! Loud Disk-Drives are cool!!!! Sometimes you know when you have to change disks by the noise the drive is making!
If you think the A500 drive was loud, you should see my old MSX Disk-Drive!

What I didn't like in my Amiga was that everyime I went to the courier to get my pirated games. half of them wouldn't be working.

Amiga1992 20 August 2002 08:59

Quote:

Originally posted by Shatterhand
HEY! Loud Disk-Drives are cool!!!! Sometimes you know when you have to change disks by the noise the drive is making!
yeah! I always got teh disk ready when I heard teh noise of "here comes the diskchange screen!". Sometimes I even managed to swap disks before the screen would appear. Anything to minimize loading times! :) Also you know if something is wrong with the disk or the drive.
Quote:

What I didn't like in my Amiga was that everyime I went to the courier to get my pirated games. half of them wouldn't be working.
That happens to you for being a low-life young south american software pirate scumbag (like me :D)

alkis21 20 August 2002 09:17

Re: The AMIGA was crap because....

Never had problem with the disk drive slipping down, I guess yours wasn't screwed properly! Ports positions never bothered me and neither did the noise. Crap mouse? Please.. My worst Amiga mouse lasted 4 years while I've had PC mice that broke down in days!
My worst headache, and I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet, was that before the internet (more particularly before WHDload and JST and other installers), installing something in your hard drive was often a nightmare. Not a dos disk, forget it. DOS disk, ok let's copy all the files. Does it work? No, it asks for the disk again. Let's make the assigns. Does it work? No, the graphics are corrupted. Let's boot with no startup-sequence. Does it work? No, not enough memory. Maybe if I ran it from pure DOS? Does it work? No, corrupted graphics again. http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/banghead.gif

Shatterhand 20 August 2002 09:33

Quote:

yeah! I always got teh disk ready when I heard teh noise of "here comes the diskchange screen!". Sometimes I even managed to swap disks before the screen would appear. Anything to minimize loading times! Also you know if something is wrong with the disk or the drive
Exacty I did that too, swap disks before the screen. This was very usefull in fighting games, like Mortal Kombat 2 and Shadow Fighter :) Oh yeah, it was also cool when I would try to push the button before the game searching for a file in other disk,. but then I would press the button in the EXACT time the drive were searching the file (I.E, while the light was ON) . The Drive would do a loud noise, and I always would think "DAMN, I FUCKED UP MY DISK!" :)

Lucky I never fucked up any of my disks doing that :)

Never had ANY trouble with Amiga Mice.. I only had ONE amiga mouse, and it lasted for... ooohhh, 7 years, I guess.. maybe it's still working.

Twistin'Ghost 20 August 2002 10:00

Hard drive invalidation if crashing while writing to disk. But even then, the Amiga never sucked...

oldpx 20 August 2002 10:12

Error messages that display in an infinite loop no matter how much you press ok or cancel or whatever.

Big-Byte 20 August 2002 10:24

There wasnt one thing I didnt like about the Amiga. It was Perfect in every way - It got me interested in programming and I ended up with a good career because of it.

If I have to be picky it would be the (useless for games) Ham mode. If we had more games in 16 million colours that would have been nice!

Amiga1992 20 August 2002 10:34

Re: Re: The AMIGA was crap because....

Quote:

Originally posted by alkis21

My worst headache[...]was that before the internet[...]installing something in your hard drive was often a nightmare.

I actually LOVED trying to install a DOS disk that wouldn't come prepared with an install script. I had many hours of fun and it taught me a lot about how AmigaDOS works.

of course afterI managed it I had a lot more fun by playing the game from the HD at fast loading speeds and without diskswapping :)

Konrad 20 August 2002 10:48

There was really nothing that bothered me. Just the long loading times and that you couldn't install most games on HD. But that's all.

And I really LOVE the drive ticking. Tells perfectly that the computer works :D. I miss it in WinUAE.

Dastardly 20 August 2002 17:10

Quote:

Originally posted by RetroMan

..... it was far too expensive when it came out :scream I had to wait half a year before I could afford it that days :cheese

Oh yeah! I should add that to my list aswell! £400 was a lot of money to a young kid.

@Konrad
Who knows, maybe the drive ticking will be emulated aswell soon. :shocked