English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   A1200 4-Way IDE Adapter: IDEfix & CD-ROM support in OS3.9 (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=36957)

StevenJGore 29 May 2008 09:35

A1200 4-Way IDE Adapter: IDEfix & CD-ROM support in OS3.9

I've just tried installing OS3.9 on a recently acquired A1200T.

It has a 4-way IDE adapter, and connected to it are two hard disks (on the same cable) and a CD-ROM drive (on its own cable).

The hard disk originally contained OS3.1 with IDEfix97 installed. All hard disks and CD-ROM drive worked perfectly. I created an OS3.9 Emergency Disk from within OS3.1, and it asked if I wanted to copy IDEfix and a few other things over to the Emergency Disk, so I said yes.

The Emergency Disk boots fine, and all hard disks and CD-ROM drive still work perfectly.

But then I installed AmigaOS3.9, followed by separate installation of CD-ROM support, and then installation of BB1 & BB2. The hard disks appear to be working fine, but CD-ROM drive support won't work. I've tried changing the unit number from 0 through to 5, and each time I boot I get an error message about atapi.device. The new CD0 in OS3.9 contains the same settings as the CD0 in OS3.1.

Now, I've read that IDEfix97 isn't needed for OS3.9, because IDEfix software (or some equivalent) is built-in. So I have three questions that I would greatly appreciate some answers to:

- How do I know that the IDEfix-equivalent software in OS3.9 is running and working properly?
- How do I get my CD-ROM drive working with OS3.9?
- Is the IDEfix software built into OS3.9 better than the latest version of IDEfix97?

Many thanks in advance for any advice, and sorry about the long post!

Steve.

Zetr0 29 May 2008 11:05

@StevenJGore

Hmmmm indeed a pickle,

for fits and giggles have you tried re-installing IDEFix97 ?

TheCorfiot 29 May 2008 11:37

@ steve

Os3.9 Cachecdfs is pretty good and should be fine,
But I am sure you need to copy the file IDEFIX over to your c directory and then run it from the startup sequence ( at the beginning) to enable the 2nd Port on the IDE Interface.

Good Luck
:D

StevenJGore 29 May 2008 12:40

Quote:

have you tried re-installing IDEFix97
Quote:

I am sure you need to copy the file IDEFIX over
Thanks for the suggestion, guys. I'll try installing the latest version of IDEfix97 tonight, and see if it makes a difference. I'm starting to wonder where it was that I read IDEfix97 was included in OS3.9. Maybe I dreamt it! :)

Steve.

TheCorfiot 29 May 2008 13:01

@steve

Would suggest the IDEFix in c & add to startup-sequence first, then check CD0: settings.

If that doesn't help then try installing the Full IDEFix.

Let us know how you get on
:)

StevenJGore 29 May 2008 13:19

Ah, thank you. Whereabouts do I put it in the startup-sequence? Does it matter?

TheCorfiot 29 May 2008 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenJGore (Post 418655)
Ah, thank you. Whereabouts do I put it in the startup-sequence? Does it matter?

As long as you copy the file over to OS3.9 c directory first (Idefix)

Just add c:idefix as the first line.

;)

StevenJGore 31 May 2008 16:12

Well I tried just copying the idefix file to c: and adding it to the startup-sequence, but for some reason OS3.9 wouldn't even load after that.

So I did a full install of the latest version from Aminet, and it seems to work fine now, except for the fact that if I boot with a CD in the drive, it doesn't show up when workbench has loaded until I open the drawer and then close it again.

Anybody any idea why?

Steve.

TheCorfiot 01 June 2008 00:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenJGore (Post 419283)
Well I tried just copying the idefix file to c: and adding it to the startup-sequence, but for some reason OS3.9 wouldn't even load after that.

So I did a full install of the latest version from Aminet, and it seems to work fine now, except for the fact that if I boot with a CD in the drive, it doesn't show up when workbench has loaded until I open the drawer and then close it again.

Anybody any idea why?

Steve.

Steve I installed OS3.9 from CD onto my A1200 today, same config as yourself,
All I needed to do was include the IDEFix file into c & update the startup-sequence as described I above, It all works fine, even with BB2.