English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Sequels quite different from the original (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=106896)

kremiso 08 May 2021 15:50

Sequels quite different from the original

Normally is exactly the opposite, but also on Amiga there should be...

was re-playing a little with Switchblade II, and this indeed has generated the question
so much different from the original (og that i like a ton more, to be clear)
not a bad game but again, another game, almost zero og Switchblade references in...

Do you like when a sequel is so much different?
Do you remember other examples of that kind on Amiga?

dreamkatcha 08 May 2021 16:36

I think it's perfectly fine as long as they turn out as good or better than their precursor.

Not a good example of this, but Popeye 3 is a terrible wrestling game, while Popeye 2 is a mediocre platformer. Popeye 1 doesn't even exist on the Amiga, though kind of does on the 8-bit systems.

RoboCod dispensed with most of James Pond's underwater levels and introduced vehicles and an insane speed boost.

Gauntlet III went isometric, leading on from two top-down arcade ports.

One Step Beyond features a new protagonist sprite and revamped mechanics, to its detriment in my opinion. Not so fondly remembered that one. Never met a Colin Curley fan!

The Bubble Bobble series kicked our expectations to the curb with each successive release. I think they improve chronologically, personally. Ooh 'eck, controversial!

Robocop 3 went 3D. This has never appealed to me one iota. It's a bit like opening your Christmas presents then playing with the boxes... under water.

jotd 08 May 2021 17:19

Chaos Engine 2 is totally different (and not as good) as the first one. They even recycled some tiles from level 1, but those who expected something similar were really disappointed (I was)

khph_re 08 May 2021 18:53

Battle command was way to different to carrier command.

kriz 08 May 2021 18:57

Dune - Adventure + Strategy
Dune 2 - Real time strategy

I love them both still :)

kremiso 08 May 2021 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamkatcha (Post 1482297)
...The Bubble Bobble series kicked our expectations to the curb with each successive release. I think they improve chronologically, personally. Ooh 'eck, controversial!

yes, arguable :)
for me is the opposite, still prefer the first over the others
and also my order of liking strangely follows the chronologically release
1 - Bubble Bobble , very close 2 - Rainbow Islands, and imo quite distant 3 - Parasol Stars

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1482305)
Chaos Engine 2 is totally different (and not as good) as the first one. They even recycled some tiles from level 1, but those who expected something similar were really disappointed (I was)

to not talk of that imo randomly color palette, a lot of colors but misused

Superman 09 May 2021 00:00

Wizkid was very different to Wizball. I found Wizball extremely difficult and frustrating where as Wizkid was quite easy to get into, pretty weird and wacky really unlike anything else.

Coagulus 09 May 2021 01:36

Return of the Jedi was a big change from the first two games.

Others, Wonderboy in Monsterland, Kid Gloves 2, Robocop 3.

Cherno 09 May 2021 01:53

Dune II is a sequel to Dune in name only .Both game were developed concurrently and Westwood had to change their title to Dune II because Cryo didn't cancel their game Dune as was originally expected.

I would like to list the two top-down BattleTech games. The Crescent Hawk's Inception is an open-world roleplaying game with random combat encounters, while the sequel The Crescent Hawk's Revenge dithes to roleplaying aspect completely and is just a linear series of combat scenarios.

demoniac 09 May 2021 04:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherno (Post 1482400)
I would like to list the two top-down BattleTech games. The Crescent Hawk's Inception is an open-world roleplaying game with random combat encounters, while the sequel The Crescent Hawk's Revenge dithes to roleplaying aspect completely and is just a linear series of combat scenarios.

I was going to mention this earlier, but the sequel wasn't on the Amiga. Note both Dune series and Battletech are made by Westwood Associates. Is Crescent Hawks' Revenge worth playing if one liked the RPG style of the original?

Gordon 09 May 2021 08:31

Super Tetris changes the objective from original Tetris

kremiso 09 May 2021 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coagulus (Post 1482396)
...Kid Gloves 2

Completely forgot this one, indeed a big jump
a single screen puzzle platform (more or less) the first one
a Wonderboy clone his sequel

i prefer the second

Cherno 09 May 2021 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by demoniac (Post 1482412)
I was going to mention this earlier, but the sequel wasn't on the Amiga. Note both Dune series and Battletech are made by Westwood Associates. Is Crescent Hawks' Revenge worth playing if one liked the RPG style of the original?

Good call, I didn't realize the sequel was not released on the Amiga.

While I found the first part to be an ok game and up until the Tactical BattleTech game from Harebrained Schemes released a few years ago, it was the only official way to have a tactical BattleMech combat experience like the tabletop game. The sequel was nothling like it, from wehat I remember it was even in a sort-of real-time mode. I didn't enjoy it at all because it really was just a series of battles. The graphics were even worse than the first part, too :)

Lord Aga 09 May 2021 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1482305)

CE2 was never made.

Never, I tells ya!

dreamkatcha 09 May 2021 17:16

Kid Gloves II is technically a totally different game to Kid Gloves I. It just shares the name for marketing reasons.

kremiso 09 May 2021 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Aga (Post 1482481)
CE2 was never made.

Never, I tells ya!

Ah!, i must apply this also to other disappointing titles i wrongly (from now) thought released lol

---
about Switchblade II, today i was re-trying the previous game of that team, Venus the Flytrap
and not surprisingly, i can say that despite the different genre, there are indeed a couple of things in common

Predseda 09 May 2021 21:41

Nicky II is very different to Nicky Boum.

And note Xenon vs Xenon 2 - Magablast, or Silkworm vs SWIV.

Foebane 10 May 2021 00:47

Why does it have to be Amiga? I can count a few sequels I despised on modern-day PC!

Half-Life 2 SUCKED in comparison to Half-Life

Doom Eternal SUCKED in comparison to Doom 2016

Doom 64 SUCKED in comparison to proper id Software Dooms

And yet I get hate for saying this. I just hated the direction the gamemakers went in.

kremiso 10 May 2021 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predseda (Post 1482568)
Nicky II is very different to Nicky Boum.

And note Xenon vs Xenon 2 - Magablast, or Silkworm vs SWIV.

i'm loosing many points forgetting Xenon, Silkworm and respective sequels

atm i'm thinking also at Kick Off 3, but here i'll use the @Lord Aga method, surely it was never released :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foebane (Post 1482620)
Why does it have to be Amiga? I can count a few sequels I despised on modern-day PC!

Half-Life 2 SUCKED in comparison to Half-Life...

also other hardware? why not, it's just that i'm not a great Windows player, due my crappy PC; i missed many big titles so i can't argue with many of them...
but i still clearly remember my disappoint trying San Andreas, as a GTA3 and Vice City avid player... something changed, in worse imo

differently than you, i like more Half Life 2; two milestones, but the second imo fit perfectly with the game title; different games indeed

just consider that not necessarily should be disappointing sequels, even that in most cases this match; i would like to talk about different sequels, and how they should be made
i.e. atm i am considering Another World - Flashback, imo one of the best examples in how a sequel should be... possibly the better one, on Amiga?

jotd 10 May 2021 11:02

Flashback is not a sequel of Another World. The sequel is "Heart of the Alien"