English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Temporarily speed up emulation ? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=39957)

xerces8 04 October 2008 23:14

Temporarily speed up emulation ?

Hi!

Is there a way to temporarily speed up emulation ?

It would come handy during loading of games, which can be pretty slow.

Currently WinUAE uses about 40% of the CPU on my system, so there is enough reserve to allow a speedup.

Regards,
David

TCD 04 October 2008 23:18

Warp mode is activated by pressing 'End' and 'Pause' at the same time. You need to press it again to deactivate it. You will see that CPU usage goes to 100% during warp. This makes makes the loading times a lot shorter :)

Graham Humphrey 04 October 2008 23:18

You can speed up floppy disk loading by going to the Floppy Drives section and changing the floppy drive emulation speed ;)

EDIT: Or... what TCD said ;)

TCD 04 October 2008 23:21

Setting the floppy speed to 800% is also a very good idea ;) Some games don't like it, but the majority work this way.

BippyM 04 October 2008 23:28

Use warp mode, avoid floppy speed up as it doesn't actually do much during warp mode anyway, and warp mode is more likely to keep it all sync'd... only much faster :)

Turbo mode breaks the sync'ing!

NewDeli 05 October 2008 11:59

No one to mention the JIT speedup feature ? This optimizer can speedup games loading tremendously, but of course at the cost of some compatibility.

Also, I usually set the priority of WinUAE process higher than normal, it won't speed up the emulation but prevents other Windows processes to interfere.

A subsidiary question : Can you tell us if you are you from the ADF or the WHDload camp :sleep :) ?

TCD 05 October 2008 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deleauvive (Post 465213)
No one to mention the JIT speedup feature ? This optimizer can speedup games loading tremendously, but of course at the cost of some compatibility.

Ever tried to enable JIT with a A500 config? Bet you didn't ;)

NewDeli 05 October 2008 18:19

A bit of trivia here : When I discovered the effect of the JIT emulation, I really wanted to establish a list of games that could run with it. Some Amiga game 'experts' discouraged me to make an extensive use of this feature.

Now, I have JIT and warp mode deactivated automatically with my main WinUAE config, and activated again when I have finished playing the game. A simple rule would be : Use JIT with AGA games, but it's not that simple, as old games may benefit from it, and a few AGA games might not like it.

Also, tweaking JIT itself can make it less harsh to games. (by disabling hard flush, most notably).

Finally, JIT may have other unwanted side effects, so when using AmigaOS for development, I shan't recommend turning it on.

StingRay 06 October 2008 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deleauvive (Post 465291)
Finally, JIT may have other unwanted side effects, so when using AmigaOS for development, I shan't recommend turning it on.

I've been developing countless intros/demos and other stuff with enabled JIT mode (would not have been fun without JIT anyway) and I never experienced major problems. So can you please elaborate on why you can't recommend turning on JIT when using UAE for development? I'm really interested... *sigh*

NewDeli 06 October 2008 13:29

Well, I was not too sure about JIT causing trouble or not under AmigaOS, since it messes up quite a few games. Thanks for making it clear there's no problem activating it when coding.

I don't code myself, I am simply "manipulating software" under the OS, once in a while, but it seems to me I have to reset the emulator a bit more often when JIT is enabled. Can't really confirm it or input it to JIT exclusively.

Is there a place where we can see your demos in action ?

StingRay 06 October 2008 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deleauvive (Post 465456)
Is there a place where we can see your demos in action ?

I've been involved in most of the Scarab releases and made some stuff for Scoopex, DCS, Darkage, Resistance and a lot of other groups too. Most recent demo I've coded is Twenty which was released at this years Breakpoint.