English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Making a Cracktro-Like Text Scrolling Effect (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=50255)

mattbarton.exe 16 January 2010 23:15

Making a Cracktro-Like Text Scrolling Effect

Hi, all. I was thinking it'd be cool if I could find a way to make a scrolling text animation type thing that you see in so many Amiga crack-tros. Does anyone know an easy way to do one? Is there a program on the Amiga (or perhaps PC) that would just let me type in the text to be scrolled and then watch it?

Thanks for any help.

pmc 16 January 2010 23:32

What type of scroller are you looking for?

A standard right to left? Something that bounces? A sine scroller...?

If I remember right I think you can make standard right to left scrollers in RSI Demo Maker.

mattbarton.exe 17 January 2010 00:30

Actually, that RSI Demo Maker looks like what I had in mind. Thanks!

chiark 18 January 2010 09:10

Coding one is exceptionally easy too - there's loads of code around to use as an example...

pmc 18 January 2010 09:26

Good call chiark - everyone should have a go at coding their own scroller. :)

RichL 31 May 2022 14:01

I’m sorry for the massive bump on this ancient thread.

Does anyone have any good links to examples to create a scroller myself? I’ve always wanted to and I have my copy of devpac if needed. Just need some links for pointers please to get started?

Don’t want to use RSI DM to be honest would rather have a go for myself from scratch.

DanScott 31 May 2022 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL (Post 1547888)
I’m sorry for the massive bump on this ancient thread.

Does anyone have any good links to examples to create a scroller myself? I’ve always wanted to and I have my copy of devpac if needed. Just need some links for pointers please to get started?

Don’t want to use RSI DM to be honest would rather have a go for myself from scratch.

if you've never coded 68k before, or any Amiga hardware stuff, there's a LOT of learning to be done before you can even think about making a text scroller yourself.

RichL 31 May 2022 16:56

Indeed I fully agree which is why I was hoping for some examples to tinker with / look at and see how it all came together if possible.

Forgive my ignorance, I honestly thought it would be quite simple a text scroller.

Like trying to learn Latin from a book probably whereas actual examples are always better.

I may have insulted a lot of people by asking, not my intention and wasn't trying to treat it like it was a piece of piss to do.

mcgeezer 31 May 2022 17:00

Try the scoopex tutorial series, that covers alot of stuff you're wanting to do.

RichL 31 May 2022 17:07

Thank you will give it a look up.

StingRay 31 May 2022 17:39

Try to get a single character from a font drawn on screen at any given x/y position. Once you managed that, you can try to move that single character across the screen and once that works you can try to extend the code to scroll a text.

RichL 31 May 2022 18:22

Thank you. I'm happy to learn :)

zx80 31 May 2022 21:12

Is there an easy way of implementing a sort of typing machine (one letter after the other) with simple AmigaDOS or Arexx scripts? Guess it should be possible with using escape sequences in the AmigaDOS to set the cursor etc. If anyone could point me into this direction, it would be great.