English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Nostalgia & memories (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Steve Bak (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=96217)

Grazey 06 February 2019 23:03

Steve Bak

Steve Bak RIP

4th April 1952 - 6th February 2019

Legendary coder who worked with Rob Hubbard on Goldrunner. His reworking with Rob of Human Race IV with added samples was very innovative for the time.

mcgeezer 06 February 2019 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grazey (Post 1302971)
Steve Bak RIP

4th April 1952 - 6th February 2019

Legendary coder who worked with Rob Hubbard on Goldrunner. His reworking with Rob of Human Race IV with added samples was very innovative for the time.

Ahhh man, that is sad news.

StarRay on the ST was superb for its time. A great coder!

malko 06 February 2019 23:33

Sad news... :(
Rest In Peace Steve, and from where you are escape the Sentinel !

Galahad/FLT 06 February 2019 23:52

aw fuck, thats not cool man :(

saimon69 07 February 2019 00:46

The - as i used to call them - Dynamic Duo (Steve Bak and Pete Lyon) worked in several early Amiga games and am sorry to hear about the depart of Steve Bak. R.I.P. :(

Shatterhand 07 February 2019 03:07

He worked on a shitload of games, but I believe his best outings were when he begun working with Chris Sorrell. He worked on every James Pond game, which IMO is the most underrated videogame mascot ever, and he also worked on the Mega Drive game "Rolo to the Rescue", which is not just a little brilliant game, but also probably the cutiest game ever made.

Rest in peace and may everything he made while alive not be forgotten.

dirk_the_daring 07 February 2019 11:19

Very sad news, RIP.
I have very special memories every time I read the Dynamic Duo (Steve Bak and Pete Lyon) names cause my first Amiga game, came from them, Return to Genesis, so much underated (even being an Atari ST port it was top quality).
Farewell Mr Back, and thanks for your games.
Again, very sad...

dlfrsilver 07 February 2019 15:12

I feel bizarre. He was too young to die :/ Well, you brought us the excellent james Pond I & II on the amiga (excellence, fun and good replay value).

You took the highway for heavens and quit this earth :/

Farewell Steve, we will remember you as one of the pioneers.

resquiat im pace !

Foebane 07 February 2019 18:49

I just had a quick play of Robocod (James Pond 2) in honour of Steve Bak. Excellent game all round.

nogginthenog 07 February 2019 19:36

That's really sad news. I first played Steve's games in the 80's on my Dragon 32 where he worked for Microdeal.

pubzombie 07 February 2019 20:19

RIP Steve

dreamkatcha 07 February 2019 23:51

That's depressing news. I tried to get in touch with Steve a while back to ask him about the Fright Night adventure game that wasn't. I found him, only nothing came of it in the end. A bit of a recluse once he retired from the games industry I hear.

I'll always remember him most fondly for his connection to one of my favourite games; RoboCod.

gimbal 08 February 2019 00:36

Didn't know who he was but I did enjoy James Pond 1 + 2 a whole lot :(

Quote:

died yesterday at the age of 66 after several years of complications with diabetes
Diabetes of all things.

dlfrsilver 08 February 2019 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimbal (Post 1303244)
Didn't know who he was but I did enjoy James Pond 1 + 2 a whole lot :(

Diabetes of all things.

yes, (too much) sugar and fat are the mothers of deceases !

MikeRichmond 09 February 2019 19:17

The name sounds familiar but I only realised why after reading this thread. Always sad to lose someone from the scene, RIP Mr. Bak.

Frog 10 February 2019 13:01

R.I.P mister scrolling

Tigerskunk 10 February 2019 17:18

Damn it.
He was one of my top 3 biggest coder heroes, and I loved reading about how he squeezed the very last cycle out of routines and thinking up unconventional new ways of doing things (like the superfast scrolling in Return to Genesis)

Also, in the beginning days of the 16 bit machines, he was one of the first ones whose games were always keeping a solid and high framerate plus super smooth scrolling.

Will always remember the games he created together with Pete Lyon doing his amazing gfx work in the late 80ies, namely Gold Runner, Karate Kid 2, Return to Genesis and a couple of others.

What a sad day for our scene... :(

WayneK 11 February 2019 12:28

AFAIK, his son was also a member of the Amiga scene (in groups like Relay, LSD, etc) as a musician. RIP Steve, lots of positive memories of the stuff you produced in the 16-bit glory days.

DanScott 11 February 2019 13:00

I worked with Steve at Eurocom for a few years. Used to go over to his house with several of the guys from work for poker evenings!! He was a bit of a master of poker ;)

Hadn't seen him though, since Eurocom folded around 6 years ago... RIP Steve Bak

hitchhikr 15 February 2019 08:26

In French: http://download.abandonware.org/maga...Page%20012.jpg