English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Denise 2.0 released! (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=114351)

amilo3438 26 April 2023 17:59

Denise 2.0 released!

https://sourceforge.net/projects/deniseemu/

News:
Denise 2.2 released! --> https://sourceforge.net/projects/deniseemu/files/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

Nightly (or beta) build can be found in: https://ci.appveyor.com/project/piciji/denise/history
(click on "Current build", choose your OS under Job name, click on tab "Artifacts", download)

Author of the Denise (PiCiJi) has opend a new thread in support.Other:
Denise bugfixes and improvements = https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=114427
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Along with the Commodore 64, Denise now in version 2.0 got the Amiga 500 and Amiga 1000 emulation!

It comes with an integrated Aros kick rom, similar to WinUAE.
But for a better experience, I recommend using the real one instead. (1.2 or 1.3)

For now, it only seems to support the .adf or ext.adf file extension. (so for now no .dms or .ipf support)

If we are talking about compatibility, it can be said that it is already quite compatible.
(but I don't mean to compare it with the far advanced WinUAE emulator)

I tested it a little bit in A500 OCS & ECS 1.3 KS 512+512 configuration and found it pretty usable even in this early version as a basic A500 emulator.

So, what I tried it with was actually everything I used when testing previous versions of the WinUAE emulator.

What not work well in this version:

Games:

Mission Elevator (1987)(Softgold).adf (Note: need OCS 1.2 512 to work) ... known sound problem that WinUAE also had in old versions! Edit: Fixed in nightly!

Pinball Dreams (1992)(21st Century).adf ... only Beat-Box after loading won't to work! (but works fine in dual disc version) Edit: Fixed in nightly!

Demos:

TEK-Rampage.adf ... some glitches on colored circles part! Edit: Fixed in nightly!

Substance-Existance.adf ... after a while crashes the emulator! EDIT: But only after a HARD reset! (if loaded on clean start A500 1.3 512+512, works fine with some glitches on vector objects)

Unfortunately, since it only reads .adf, that prevented me from testing it a little more seriously, but it wasn't bad either.

I can already say, if there is no other A500 emulator, I would not be dissatisfied.

Cheers!

Seiya 26 April 2023 19:25

Nice that there are alternative emulators :)

Very good also for compatibility. I tried 1 games only, Boxx 2, and it works perfect also in graphics and sound. Continue to working.

amilo3438 26 April 2023 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seiya (Post 1612211)
I notice that there is no ini file to read what it does or what option it uses (like Winuae.ini)

Search here: C:\Users\PC\AppData\Roaming\denise

Seiya 26 April 2023 19:49

i see that. i edit my post because, after studying your software, i found the file, i changed the path.

amilo3438 26 April 2023 21:15

But found one thing that Denise handles better than WinUAE is invalid refresh rates in Primus demo:

BRS-TuttiFrutti49.adf ... http://janeway.exotica.org.uk/release.php?id=100457

Overall, I like how it manages the display!

amilo3438 27 April 2023 15:54

I used ADF-Workshop to convert .dms to .adf files to proceed with additional testing on Denise in A500 ECS 1.3 512+512 configuration!

Of all those .dms that were tested, I found only these to be problematic:

OLD_BULLS-Fugazi-A.adf ... crashes on a green text - but it should work in ECS = Copper WAIT with BFD=0!
RAZOR1911-WeShaveAss.adf ... some problem with scroller text on the end!
Devils-NoReality.adf ... stops at loading!
VD-AbsoluteInebriation-A.adf ... some gfx problems on part after the title screen and on vector objects later!
Humanoids-Compact53.adf ... F10 Ipec Elite intro glitches in ECS & OCS - but should work fine in OCS! Edit: Fixed in nightly!
Upfront-CoolFridge.adf ... smooth copper - syncronize_CPU_to_display problem!

Retro-Nerd 27 April 2023 18:40

Also make sure to get the lastest beta updates. PiCiJi did a great job for this Amiga emulation first release.

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/piciji/denise/history

amilo3438 27 April 2023 19:33

Yeah, I'm really impressed. Unfortunately, I don't have time for a serious test except occasionally here and there.

Etze 27 April 2023 19:49

1 Attachment(s)
How do I activate the Amiga mouse? Looks like it's activated, but I can't use it. Am I missing something obvious?

I'm on OpenSuse Tumbleweed.

amilo3438 27 April 2023 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Etze (Post 1612529)
How do I activate the Amiga mouse? Looks like it's activated, but I can't use it. Am I missing something obvious?

I'm on OpenSuse Tumbleweed.

For me in Win10 it worked with mouse middle button and on full screen its automatic.
I assigned F12 key to change between win or full screen.

Etze 27 April 2023 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by amilo3438 (Post 1612531)
mouse middle button

Thanks, that's it! :great

Anubis 28 April 2023 03:08

This is great!

Thank you for easy emulation!!!

btw, only thing on wish list would be rewind button for both cores. :D

PiCiJi 28 April 2023 16:41

Hi
Thank you for the tests and the feedback.
I'll check out these demos when I'm done with my current task.

I'm using a deployment service "AppVeyor". In this way, nightlies are created for Windows, Linux and macOS at the touch of a button. I'll put the link in the signature.
To compile for yourself, there is a Visual Studio project solution under windows. However, I recommend using the GNU compiler (makefile) on Windows (mingw) as well, as it generates faster code.

Denise calculates the new refresh rate from the changes of agnus v/h and sends it to the host.
e.g. B.C. Kid runs at 56.4 Hz

If the FPS is displayed in the status bar, a menu can be opened by clicking on it.
The first entry after the warp settings shows the current original speed of the game and the 2nd entry is the typical monitor refresh rate for PAL and NTSC respectively.

Standard Monitor
Either the speed is reduced to 50 Hz or increased to 60 Hz, depending on which refresh rate is set in the monitor.
With a difference of about 5 Hz, however, you will notice directly from the music that the game speed deviates.
With Threaded Renderer, it is also possible to play at the original speed at the expense of soft scrolling.

VRR Monitor (G-Sync, FreeSync)
It is possible to play at the original speed with smooth scrolling.

Denise also updates the refrsh rate after loading a savegame. If you play B.C. Kid at 56.4 Hz and then load a save game of Lionheart, the FPS jumps to 50.08. Then you load Beast and the FPS jumps to 49.92 etc or are scaled to 50/60 Hz if desired.
At 49.92 or 50.08 this is not a problem. This slight change in speed is not noticeable.

amilo3438 28 April 2023 17:32

Hi there!

At first thanks for the great C64 & Amiga 500 Denise 2.0 emu!

Unfortunately, I do not compile so would like to have already compiled betas if possible.

And here is my new findings:

Anathema-NeSouthEast65.adf ... Turnips intro glitches on rotaing cube!
Cave-Soporific06.adf ... F1 Cult (New demo) glitches on bottom text reflexion! Edit: Fixed in nightly!
Cave-Soporific06.adf ... F2 Cult (Short but sweet 2) green glitches on screen! Edit: Fixed in nightly!
Cave-Soporific06.adf ... F3 Silents (new demo) some glitches on bottom text! Edit: Fixed in nightly!

(all tested in A500 ECS 1.3 512+512)

Cheers!

EDIT: Maybe we should open a new thread for Denise Amiga emu problems! (similar to WinUAE problematic demos?!)

PiCiJi 28 April 2023 18:03

Quote:

Maybe we should open a new thread for Denise Amiga emu problems!
sounds good to me and thank you for testing.

Quote:

Unfortunately, I do not compile so would like to have already compiled betas if possible.
in my signature there is a link to nightly builds (compiled betas) for Win32/64 macOS Intel/Arm and Linux Ubuntu.

1. click a build (top most entry)
2. click OS
3. click "Artifacts"
4. download

amilo3438 28 April 2023 18:14

Yeah, but I need to sign in first, right ? (I have no account and no interested to create one)

Ok, I will create a new thread for Denise problems somewhere - in the "support.Other" thread! (when will have a new findings)

Also, I put for you in "The Zone!" all above mentioned problematic files there! (Denise problematic.7z)

PiCiJi 28 April 2023 18:24

no account needed. anyone can download the nightlies. The account is for administration only.

amilo3438 28 April 2023 18:29

I clicked on "Current build" and nothing! (almost same screen as history?)

Should I click on master? (I do not see anything else there)

SORRY, I must be blind, I found it! :) (denise_win64_build_cc2c0dc.zip)

Thanks!

jbl007 28 April 2023 20:53

1 Attachment(s)
Huge extra thumb up for Mac and Linux support! Thank you! :great

Builds an runs nice on my Arch Linux system. There's a minor GUI glitch in the "Auswahl"-list: vertical height is too small. Msg from gtk:
(denise:4896): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 20:21:37.930: gtk_box_gadget_distribute: assertion 'size >= 0' failed in GtkScrollbar

seems related to this.

PiCiJi 28 April 2023 21:50

looks normal in Manjaro, will test Arch, first need more SSD's

current testing systems:
Linux: Mint, Ubuntu, Manjaro, Mint Mate, Endeavour
Windows: 7 normal, 7 XP mode, 10, 11 (virtual machine)
macOS: High Sierra, Catalina, BigSur, Ventura, Mavericks (virtual machine)
BSD: NetBSD (virtual machine), GhostBSD