English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   AmigaOS 3.2 released! (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=106964)

bubbob42 21 May 2021 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by kriz (Post 1485597)
We all are happy for the new version, but these issues needs to be talked about ..

Yes, I agree. But not in this thread, as there are plenty of opportunities elsewhere.

There's one last thing, though, which I'd like to share from a developer's perspective: OS3.1.4 had been torrented within minutes after release. Nevertheless, it sold a lot better than I would have ever expected. So maybe some people's attitudes, resources or whatever did change a bit since the time when we swapped games in school every day. ;)

Predseda 21 May 2021 11:35

Is Roadshow fully compatible with OS3.2?

bubbob42 21 May 2021 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predseda (Post 1485600)
Is Roadshow fully compatible with OS3.2?

Of course. AmiTCP, too.

malko 21 May 2021 11:52

@kriz : your post reminds me this one ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by malko (Post 1297790)
[...] PS: slightly OT (as nothing to do with the present case), but did you see the movie "The Founder" (2016) ?


malko 21 May 2021 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbob42 (Post 1485599)
[...] OS3.1.4 had been torrented within minutes after release. Nevertheless, it sold a lot better than I would have ever expected. [...] ;)

This is a really good news and I wish AmigaOS 3.2 even a better success.
Indirectly this is the dev team work that is recognized through the amount of sales :great .

alancfrancis 21 May 2021 12:04

I just realised that to install 3.1.4.1 on my A1200 I burned some actual floppies.

I don't have a gotek or a CD drive and 3.2 is more floppies than I have.

Can I install it by copying the CD contents to a CF card and running it as an upgrade from my 3.1.4 install? Or does it need to be installed from some kind of bootable media ? Will my 3.1.4 install even boot with a 3.2 ROM ?

Thanks!

Alan

kriz 21 May 2021 12:08

You can mount the adf`s virtually if you have a cf or similar way to get files over to the Amiga :) http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/DiskImageGui

bubbob42 21 May 2021 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by alancfrancis (Post 1485609)
Can I install it by copying the CD contents to a CF card and running it as an upgrade from my 3.1.4 install?

Yes. You could also create a bootable partition, copy the CD’s contents to it and boot AmigaPE from it.

Neil79 21 May 2021 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by gulliver (Post 1484768)
For those who are looking for an easy to follow C programming tutorial whith some ReAction examples go to:

http://www.pjhutchison.org/tutorial/amiga_c.html

Even though I did the article on Indie Retro News for Amiga OS 3.2, hoping to scrap some funds together later next month to buy a version to update my Amiga 1200 :bowdown:great

alancfrancis 21 May 2021 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbob42 (Post 1485614)
Yes. You could also create a bootable partition, copy the CD’s contents to it and boot AmigaPE from it.

So right now I have a single CF card plugged into the IDE through an external port so I can easily swap, and a separate CF card I use for file transfer in the PCMCIA caddy.

If I made a bootable CF card of the 3.2 CD that would have to go in the IDE, right ? I can't boot from the PCMCIA ? And then I wouldn't have access to the "hard disk" CF card. So as I understand it... really I need the installer files on the PCMCIA CF card?

Maybe I should treat myself to a CD drive :-)

bubbob42 21 May 2021 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by alancfrancis (Post 1485634)
So right now I have a single CF card plugged into the IDE through an external port so I can easily swap, and a separate CF card I use for file transfer in the PCMCIA caddy.

If I made a bootable CF card of the 3.2 CD that would have to go in the IDE, right ? I can't boot from the PCMCIA ? And then I wouldn't have access to the "hard disk" CF card. So as I understand it... really I need the installer files on the PCMCIA CF card?

Maybe I should treat myself to a CD drive :-)

Create partition of 100 MB on CF. Copy CD contents to it. Make it bootable. Connect it to IDE. Boot from it. Partition the rest of the card. Install 3.2 to it. Done.

Rotzloeffel 21 May 2021 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by malko (Post 1485608)
This is a really good news and I wish AmigaOS 3.2 even a better success.
Indirectly this is the dev team work that is recognized through the amount of sales :great .


Buying OS 3.2 is the same as applaude to developers and Testers like me :) The more copies sold, the more happy we are... believe me :)

Predseda 21 May 2021 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rotzloeffel (Post 1485647)
Buying OS 3.2 is the same as applaude to developers and Testers like me :) The more copies sold, the more happy we are... believe me :)

I will applaude you even more after I get the OS, install it and try it... believe me :)

Rotzloeffel 21 May 2021 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predseda (Post 1485659)
I will applaude you even more after I get the OS, install it and try it... believe me :)

Thank you in the name of the whole team :)

saimo 21 May 2021 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by tygre (Post 1485547)
Hi Saimo!

There's the WhatIs.library, but I'm not sure how much it was/is used by programs... but, to the point of the discussion, it's used by IconAdder, which "uses the WhatIs.Library to find the file type, and then adds an icon according to it's type." :)

Cheers!

Very interesting! Thanks for the pointer. I had a quick glance and it doesn't look bad at all. What a pity that it didn't pick up (at least, I guess it didn't). If I were the AmigaOS developers, I'd give it good look.
I wonder if it predates DefIcons and if DefIcons' author knew about it (I made only a quick search and I couldn't find the date of the DefIcons initial release).

Akira 21 May 2021 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by systmcrsh (Post 1485568)
don't let haters talk you out of it

This is some toxic attitude and exactly what shouldn't happen.
Why does anyone that expresses discontent with the situation is labeled a "hater"? That's just ridiculous and disrespectful. Nobody even, at least not me, discouraged or criticized anyone for purchasing this, or talked shit about the product itself.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kriz (Post 1485597)
these issues needs to be talked about ..

The silencing of any criticism towards Hyperion (and also towards Cloanto) is detrimental to the Amiga scene at large. But some people just "want to have fun" and support what's damaging without questioning or working towards a better way of enjoying the hobby and better supporting the people creating stuff for the platform.
Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbob42 (Post 1485599)
there are plenty of opportunities elsewhere.

Where? Every argument about this gets shut down by someone or other, like in this thread, or the other AmigaOS3.2 thread where it was started with the premise of "we will shut down this conversation on sight".

alancfrancis 21 May 2021 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbob42 (Post 1485637)
Create partition of 100 MB on CF. Copy CD contents to it. Make it bootable. Connect it to IDE. Boot from it. Partition the rest of the card. Install 3.2 to it. Done.

That works for a fresh install instead of an upgrade though, right ?

Maybe that's what I'll end up doing.

My other question was whether I can even boot the existing 3.1.4 with 3.2 Kickstart ROMs?

wlcina 21 May 2021 18:28

Does it comes with KS file for Winuae? So I can use it there?
Anyone know if it is compatible with WHDload etc?

Michael 21 May 2021 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by wlcina (Post 1485721)
Does it comes with KS file for Winuae? So I can use it there?
Anyone know if it is compatible with WHDload etc?

Yes, Yes, Yes... Should be as transparent and fluent transition as it could be. Enjoy your Amiga...

falken 21 May 2021 20:45

Will be adf digital download available? I haven't CD-ROM unit


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:59.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Page generated in 0.08791 seconds with 11 queries