English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Tinyus Open Beta Released (OCS Gradius port) (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=105695)

vulture 07 February 2021 10:22

@pink^abyss

So, how about Gradius II? :D
(kidding)

Alpha One 07 February 2021 10:48

Amazing! What a brilliant game. Spent an hour playing after breakfast. Can't wait to get the full version onto floppy!

crazyc 07 February 2021 10:56

Trying to download the game but malwarebytes is fighting with me as it really doesn't like it ?

Toni Galvez 07 February 2021 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by vulture (Post 1459913)
@pink^abyss

So, how about Gradius II? :D
(kidding)

Well, you are kidding, but our friend Hoffman has planned to do a MSX Gradius 2 conversion (it will be easier than the arcade to do).

vulture 07 February 2021 11:11

@Toni Galvez

Ah! Really? That's excellent news! The MSX version was pretty good albeit very different to the arcade and nes versions!

ross 07 February 2021 11:42

That arcade feeling! It's absolutely fantastic.

Great work as usual aBYSs :great

Toni Galvez 07 February 2021 11:45

I got the original copies of Gradius 2 for Famicom and Nemesis 2 for MSX, really amazing 8bit games.

Gradius 2 for Famicom got much smaller suns, maybe is good Idea to do this version to Amiga.

pink^abyss 07 February 2021 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by theq (Post 1459903)
Another great port! Awesome job!
Works great on an accelerated A500+, both on floppy and from hard drive.
  • (Bug) Found that "hi score" doesn't update/work at all.
  • (Bug) And like Suicyco said, the level reset doesn't always work correctly. Leftover ships from before reset appear after ship re-spawn.
  • (Bug?) Ship speed doesn't reset to slowest at death (don't remember if this was in the original).
  • (Bug?) Missiles "goes under the mountain" if it hits the tree line (don't remember if this was in the original).
  • (Bug?) First boss is sometimes invulnerable after destroying the shields (don't remember if this was in the original).
    Boss seem to be invulnerable to "Option" shots.
  • (Bug) Bonus counter resets at next level but the selection graphic is stuck on the last bonus value.
  • (Works) My Original CD32, KTRL CD32+, Boomerang and Competition Pro controllers work perfectly fine.

And like discussed with "Tiny Bobble", I prefer that "lives left"-indicator being empty while on the last life. However, this is not a bug but a personal preference.

Keep up the great work. You are awesome!

Hi,

thanks for the feedback.

>And like Suicyco said, the level reset doesn't always work correctly. >Leftover ships from before reset appear after ship re-spawn.

Can you please tell me in which level this does happen?

>(Bug?) First boss is sometimes invulnerable after destroying the shields >(don't remember if this was in the original).

The boss is only vulnerable if the blue dot in the middle is open. This takes some time.

>(Bug?) Ship speed doesn't reset to slowest at death (don't remember if >this was in the original).

That was by intention. The game is otherwise really unplayable in later levels (at least in my view). So you always fall back to speed=1 instead of 0.

pink^abyss 07 February 2021 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ross (Post 1459932)
That arcade feeling! It's absolutely fantastic.

Great work as usual aBYSs :great

Thanks Ross. Its all in the details :)

pink^abyss 07 February 2021 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by vulture (Post 1459862)
Had a couple of plays and I'm wowed! That's just fantastic! No idea how close it is to the arcade original as I've only tried it a handful of times, but this plays great and I definitely prefer Tinyus' colours!

Thanks :) The Arcade version depends on if its Nemesis or Gradius and then there are differences for the difficulty dip settings. However, i focused to make it good playable. Also the arcade runs at 60fps and not at 50fps like Tinyus. So a lot of tiny changes were necessary to keep the arcade feeling identical. I also fixed many of the issues the arcade had (just look at the animation of the pink tentacales enemies in the arcade.. :crazy)

vulture 07 February 2021 11:55

I believe the decision to start after death with speed=1 is definitely the correct one, please, keep it this way

jeff b00toNic 07 February 2021 11:57

Brilliantly executed. :great

You guys rock!

pink^abyss 07 February 2021 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpine9000 (Post 1459893)
Absolutely outstanding work!

Thanks Alpine9000. You certainly know the efforts needed :)

nikosidis 07 February 2021 12:16

Just tried on my A1200/030, CRT. Whow!!! So arcade. Great GFX, great music. Next is to test on my A600 with Furia.
Support for 2 button!! Love it :D
One request is for 2 player. Not at same time but to play each other time to compete with score. Please :D

Love you guys :D

jeff b00toNic 07 February 2021 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by pink^abyss (Post 1459934)
That was by intention. The game is otherwise really unplayable in later levels (at least in my view). So you always fall back to speed=1 instead of 0.

I agree.

Even on the arcade if you have any option highlighted before losing a life
you get the speedup option immediately.

nikosidis 07 February 2021 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff b00toNic (Post 1459947)
I agree.

Even on the arcade if you have any option highlighted before losing a life
you get the speedup option immediately.

Yes, this is how it should be.

no9 07 February 2021 12:35

Looks great and even more I'm impressed with quality of music and sound effects. They both are great. One thing I can't stand though is that sounds fighting because of 4 channels limit. Seems like everything can be improved on Amiga over what was done already in the past, with exception of that one annoying thing.

nikosidis 07 February 2021 12:41

I think the music and sfx sound great. The GFX looks better than the arcade! and the game play is just perfect.

pink^abyss 07 February 2021 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikosidis (Post 1459957)
I think the music and sfx sound great. The GFX looks better than the arcade! and the game play is just perfect.

Thanks :) I'm afraid only the title screen looks much better than in the Arcade. The rest should be nearly identical.

Estrayk 07 February 2021 14:46

WOW! very great work Pink!.