English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Nostalgia & memories (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Worst copy protection? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=37445)

Paul_s 21 June 2008 00:12

Worst copy protection?

Ok, so from memory...

Worms code sheet - faint silverish lettering on a shiny black card thing.
F19 Stealth Fighter - Identify this plane from 20 - 30 blinking drawings!
JetStrike - page 1, paragraph 78, 3rd sentence, word 3 :shocked

Argh, so what was the most annoying form of copy protection you came across for those of us who bought the genuine article of course ;)

davideo 21 June 2008 00:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul_s (Post 425495)
Ok, so from memory...

Argh, so what was the most annoying form of copy protection you came across for those of us who bought the genuine article of course ;)

All of them :laughing:laughing:laughing

I hated the ship recognition in Silent Service

And the bike specifications in one of the motor bike games - Honda RF I think

Dave G :cool

TCD 21 June 2008 00:16

I remember that Powermonger had this 'identify the island' copy protection. You had to flip through all the pages of the manual to find the correct one. Really annoying!
The best part of it was I didn't like that game very much back then and sold it to a friend of mine :p

Edit : Just looked it up and it wasn't that bad. You were given a range of pages to look at, but still it was annoying ;)

Ironclaw 21 June 2008 00:18

Quote:

Ok, so from memory...

Don't remember which game it was... hmm... could have been Ween, No Exit, Turtles for c64..... anyway, a game I had had this copy protection where the codes where pitch black, and the paper they were on were pitch black too, only way I could read the codes was if I held them up towards the light so the reflection would shine on the numbers making them almost visible... lame ass code sheet... guess they made it like this so people couldn't copy them with copy machines.... but hey... it worked anyway for some reason....

Paul_s 21 June 2008 00:22

Oh yes, code wheels. Monkey Island had one iirc. :D

laffer 21 June 2008 00:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironclaw (Post 425500)
Don't remember which game it was... hmm... could have been Ween, No Exit, Turtles for c64..... anyway, a game I had had this copy protection where the codes where pitch black, and the paper they were on were pitch black too, only way I could read the codes was if I held them up towards the light so the reflection would shine on the numbers making them almost visible... lame ass code sheet... guess they made it like this so people couldn't copy them with copy machines.... but hey... it worked anyway for some reason....

If the paper was dark red with black letters (very hard to read!), it's Turtles for Amiga (and possibly C64 if it's the same there).

StingRay 21 June 2008 00:24

Quote:

Hands down the most annoying copy protection I ever experienced was the one of Elite II - Frontier. Countless times it asked you to "Enter word xxx, page yyy". Bloody annoying and for me a classic example of copy protection overdone.

laffer 21 June 2008 00:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul_s (Post 425504)
Oh yes, code wheels. Monkey Island had one iirc. :D

Code wheels were cool :D

Ironclaw 21 June 2008 00:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by laffer (Post 425505)
If the paper was dark red with black letters (very hard to read!), it's Turtles for Amiga (and possibly C64 if it's the same there).

Was long ago, I mostly remember the back being pitch black, no red... but could remember wrong.... didn't have turtles for Amiga, well I did, but not original... so guess this copy protection thingy was for my c64 version.

Still have my original games..... will never part...

alexh 21 June 2008 00:58

The subliminal copy protection in Lotus Turbo Challenge II by Barry Leech.

StingRay 21 June 2008 01:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexh (Post 425545)
The subliminal copy protection in Lotus Turbo Challenge II by Barry Leech.

Hehe that very sample was pretty cool actually. :D

laffer 21 June 2008 01:04

What was the protection like? I never owned an original copy of that game.

StingRay 21 June 2008 01:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by laffer (Post 425552)
What was the protection like? I never owned an original copy of that game.

Well, as alexh wrote, it was subliminal. :) If you rip the (IMHO pretty cool) title track you'll find a sample that goes like "you won't copy this game" (or smth. similar, too long ago ;D). :)

TCD 21 June 2008 01:15

It's sample 1F in the title track and it's pretty hard to hear what he sais ;) Really a nice one. A really funny one was in Pinball Dreams. There was a track where a sample was named 'Thanks for ripping this crappy tune' or something alike :D

StingRay 21 June 2008 01:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid (Post 425563)
It's sample 1F in the title track and it's pretty hard to hear what he sais ;) Really a nice one. A really funny one was in Pinball Dreams. There was a track where a sample was named 'Thanks for ripping this crappy tune' or something alike :D

Haha nice one, didn't know about that sample in Pinball Dreams. :D

TCD 21 June 2008 01:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by StingRay (Post 425569)
Haha nice one, didn't know about that sample in Pinball Dreams. :D

Just had a look. It's called 'looseronlaugh' (played when you choose the table) and sample 06 and 07 together read 'thanx again for ripping this shitty tune' :D

Coagulus 21 June 2008 10:52

The code sheets for Alien Breed 3D II were well annoying. Black letters on black paper. Grr. Not a good idea for a game best played in the dark!

Marcuz 21 June 2008 11:28

Elvira I recipes (a scribbled card in different colours that you need to exclude with a coloured plastic, i seem to recall)
and Ishar spells: you found that the game had that kind of copy protection only after you were well in the middle of the game. :/

Minuous 21 June 2008 19:37

Bard's Tale 3 springs immediately to mind, annoying multi-codewheel.

spiff 21 June 2008 20:12

The Ultima games, by Ultima 7 I'd memorized the number of mandrake roots, runes and other stuff in enough games to get by the copy protection without using the manual.

Still, all of these copy protections don't even come close to todays crap:

Mass effect
Install game, enter license key, game crashes
Reinstall poke back and forth , just to make sure, some crashes.
Change PC, to new PC, game won't install: to many installs

(Grab cracked copy: Installs, no problem)