English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.AmigaOS (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   OS3.2 background graphics (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=113512)

huggy70 03 February 2023 16:11

OS3.2 background graphics

Hi,

I'm on the way porting my OS3.5 installation to 3.2 and have a background picture (ilbm 64 color format) that on 3.2 looks as if scaled down to 32 colors while on 3.5 looks exactly as in dpaint.

This is on A1200 in 128 color mode. When I switch to 256 color mode it looks good (exactly like OS3.5 in 128 colors) but the mode is too slow on native machine (even feels 50% slower than in 3.5 256 colors, is this because 3.5 requires 020 cpu and is optimized for that?).

I tried copying the picture.datatype and ilbm.datatype from classes folder of 3.5 but that changed nothing.

Any hints on how to improve picture quality?:confused

huggy70 06 February 2023 12:16

So I think I found the cause:

when checking no new icons in workbench prefs and rebooting the machine the background graphics look great again. So it must have sth. to do with the icon palette me thinks.

Unfortunately all my OS3.5 Icons now show up as little black squares.
And to make confusion worse: now if I disable "No Newicons" option in Workbench prefs and click "use", the OS3.5 Icons show up again and the backround graphics still look good.

So a (not so practical) work around would be: Disable NewIcons, reboot and after that enable NewIcons again.

Seems as if enabling Newicons sets some default pallete colors that gets in the way somehow?

Any ideas how to fix this?:confused

AMIGASYSTEM 06 February 2023 13:09

As I have always said, OS 3.2 should not be mixed with other OS3, otherwise you will always have incompatibility problems.

You have to make a Choice, either OS 3.2, or OS 3.5/3.9

huggy70 06 February 2023 13:44

Ok, but what did I mix up here from 3.5? No Newicons is not set per default and so I did'nt even notice a problem when displaying old files on CF-Card, but it seems to come at a cost of crappy backdrop picture quality.

So if I have to recreate old Icons thats not a problem to me.

Daedalus 06 February 2023 13:48

Do you have the same colour precision settings in 3.5 and 3.2? Since icons are often loaded on boot before the background image, having them set to a high precision can eat up lots of pens, leaving relatively few available for the background image once it has finished loading.

huggy70 06 February 2023 14:13

Quote:

Do you have the same colour precision settings in 3.5 and 3.2?
Screen mode is 128 colors in both or do you mean icon colors? How do I check that? Icon Edit shows only 8 colors to me although icon has clearly more colors:confused

Icons are the glow icons that came with OS3.2
Do you think these Icons use a broader range of that 128 color palette not leaving enough for the picture? Sounds plausible to me

So time to get rid of them perhaps. They are not that great either I think.

No.3 06 February 2023 18:49

screen mode colors <> color precision !

The color precision for icons can be set in the Workbench preferences and the background picture precision in the WBPattern preferences.

huggy70 06 February 2023 22:48

OK thanks everyone problem solved. Seems to be some bug in WBPattern prefs? Don't know.

Changed picture quality there from best to good. No difference, still bad quality. Changed again from good to best, and suddenly perfect picture quality, even after rebooting and no matter what icon settings...

shelter 06 February 2023 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by huggy70 (Post 1594879)
OK thanks everyone problem solved. Seems to be some bug in WBPattern prefs? Don't know.

Changed picture quality there from best to good. No difference, still bad quality. Changed again from good to best, and suddenly perfect picture quality, even after rebooting and no matter what icon settings...

Send a bug report to Hyperion.