English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Games (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Hudson Hawk demo - is this even completable? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=16992)

MethodGit 23 January 2005 03:53

Hudson Hawk demo - is this even completable?

I'm talking about the demo that came on The One round the arse end of '91. It has to be a strong contender for most irritating game demo of all. :banghead You're racing against a strict time limit *and* you've got to grapple with the game's complete lack of inertia control, slipping and sliding round platforms and making pixel-perfect jumps and timing your ball throwing tactics carefully. I did get quite far and went as fast as I could but it looked like there was still a good deal of the level left when the timer got to zero and the Amiga gurued (like it always seemingly does when it's time up - an unfinished build perhaps?).

Tell me, has anybody EVER managed to beat this bloody thing? Is there an actual ending?

BippyM 23 January 2005 03:56

why not get a replay rom and train the game to stop the timer decreasing :D

MethodGit 23 January 2005 14:32

If I had any knowledge whatsoever of Action Replay and how to patch games with it I would. :cheese :crazy

Perhaps you could teach me how to disable collision detection in the demo as well? :laughing

BippyM 23 January 2005 17:13

right I managed to find the location in memory and to disable the timer :)

All I need to do now is figure out how to save it to disk :(

The main .exe is compressed but I'm not sure about what with...

Maybe one of the experienced programmers can briefly explain how I go about finding out where in memory the program first loads so I can save it to disk/edit it and then re-pack it :)

Codetapper 23 January 2005 21:44

Usually it's simpler to leave the original file alone and add a different loader:

1. LoadSeg the file
2. Patch the part after the decruncher so it returns to your code
3. Let the original code run - it'll return to you after depacking
4. Alter the bytes you need to disable the timer
5. Restart the game code

Depacking and repacking the files is a pain and this principle is used by most trainer makers. They often copy their code to very low memory like $c0 or $100 and that is pretty safe. And it means you don't have to change the original file, repack etc...

BippyM 23 January 2005 22:47

Well I got absolutely no programming (asm) ability so until I figure that out this is a no go (and this is something i'd like to learn :D)

Anyway Meths if you get yer ass on IRC sometime I'll go thru with you disabling the timer with the replay :D

Shatterhand 24 January 2005 06:30

Well
I have finished Hudson Hawk with no cheats.

So.. erm... it's not all that uncontrollable :) . But I have never played the demo, so I dunno :D