English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How can it be emulated as accurately as possible? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=110636)

falken 11 May 2022 13:27

How can it be emulated as accurately as possible?

I would like to know what are the parameters to have the most precise emulation possible in WinUAE.

Anubis 11 May 2022 13:33

Move slider for compatibility vs required CPU power all the way to left, click on cycle-exact (full) for starter.

To get to all settings, you need first to select what amiga do you like to emulate?

falken 11 May 2022 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anubis (Post 1545154)
Move slider for compatibility vs required CPU power all the way to left, click on cycle-exact (full) for starter.

To get to all settings, you need first to select what amiga do you like to emulate?

In the 'Display' section you don't have to touch anything?

Anubis 11 May 2022 16:07

If you want more accuracy, go MiSTer FPGA route.

Display settings, sound and other stuff depends on what amiga you like to emulate. A500 started with OCS, while A500+ and A600 have ECS chipsets. A1200 was AGA.

As accurately as possible means different thing to different people. For some it means inclusion of scanlines, while I don't like scanline and like to see double lines instead. Some people like to hear floppy drive sound, while most don't. (it was fun first 5 minutes :), or to run demo that used it to play tune :D)

Other example is HD. While WinUAE will allow you to use headless HD, if you want to accurately emulate Amiga, then you will need to emulate A590 and use RDB mode. This is also the case if you use MiSTer FPGA.

What is the purpose of your OP?

Seiya 11 May 2022 16:48

the best way is to put cycle exact and play with cpu multiplier. i found some config that (cpu side only) is more or less very close to 68030@50 mhz.
with fpu no, because there isn't a way to have a multiplier, so if you use 68030 and 68882 general performance are faster than real one.

if you disable fpu, you can found very close configuration like real amiga.

falken 11 May 2022 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anubis (Post 1545169)

Display settings, sound and other stuff depends on what amiga you like to emulate. A500 started with OCS, while A500+ and A600 have ECS chipsets. A1200 was AGA.

As accurately as possible means different thing to different people. For some it means inclusion of scanlines, while I don't like scanline and like to see double lines instead. Some people like to hear floppy drive sound, while most don't. (it was fun first 5 minutes :), or to run demo that used it to play tune :D)

Other example is HD. While WinUAE will allow you to use headless HD, if you want to accurately emulate Amiga, then you will need to emulate A590 and use RDB mode. This is also the case if you use MiSTer FPGA.

What is the purpose of your OP?

I just want to know what is the best way to configure WinUAE as closely as possible to a real Amiga. I don't know if you can control issues of timing, lag, etc...

Toni Wilen 11 May 2022 18:01

As was already mentioned, it depends. You usually don't want too accurate emulation if you want to run applications or whdload games. You want more speed and flexibility. (it might sound weird: the more accuracy, the more speed is "wasted" to keep emulation accurate)

But if you want to run floppy based A500 (or A1200) games or demos: best possible accuracy and exactly matching config is usually needed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anubis (Post 1545169)

I am quite sure WinUAE is more accurate in chipset emulation :)

Of course you can almost always get better latency (at least without all kinds of annoying tweaking) with "hardware" implementations but that has nothing to with emulation accuracy.

falken 11 May 2022 18:14

Using 'beamraced' can help in getting better emulation fidelity? Why does this mode only work in full screen? Is it for some technical issue?

Toni Wilen 11 May 2022 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by falken (Post 1545187)
Using 'beamraced' can help in getting better emulation fidelity? Why does this mode only work in full screen? Is it for some technical issue?

Yes. Because it is basically unsupported hack.

It would be much simpler if there was a way to render directly to front buffer but currently only way is to render in back buffer and then swap buffers without waiting for vsync. It can only work in exclusive fullscreen.

Anubis 11 May 2022 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 1545186)
I am quite sure WinUAE is more accurate in chipset emulation :)

Of course you can almost always get better latency (at least without all kinds of annoying tweaking) with "hardware" implementations but that has nothing to with emulation accuracy.

Of course I meant no offense in my post, I think I just was not clear at what I meant. I never meant to say that WinUAE is not accurate, just that what he probably looks is out of box on MiSTerFPGA, with as little options as possible, well working on CRT screen.

falken,

without clarifying what system you want to be accurate as, it is kind of hard to answer your question.

falken 11 May 2022 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anubis (Post 1545208)
Of course I meant no offense in my post, I think I just was not clear at what I meant. I never meant to say that WinUAE is not accurate, just that what he probably looks is out of box on MiSTerFPGA, with as little options as possible, well working on CRT screen.

falken,

without clarifying what system you want to be accurate as, it is kind of hard to answer your question.

@Anubis A1200

Anubis 13 May 2022 14:04

In that case just select Basic non-expended A1200 form quickstart, edit above mentioned things, make sure you have correct aspect ratio and TV settings for model you want (PAL/NTSC) and add scanlines and disk sounds as you wish. Probably best to remove filters. :)

It is fun to emulate system as it should have been, for example use Amiga tools to partition and format HD. Usually people would setup HD in WinUAE and upload it to MiSTer FPGA, but it is more fun to use tools in OS and install and setup HD from Amiga side.

Only downside to MiSTer FPGA is that it does not support IPF images and no support for expansion cards like in WinUAE case.

falken 13 May 2022 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anubis (Post 1545436)
In that case just select Basic non-expended A1200 form quickstart, edit above mentioned things, make sure you have correct aspect ratio and TV settings for model you want (PAL/NTSC) and add scanlines and disk sounds as you wish. Probably best to remove filters. :)

It is fun to emulate system as it should have been, for example use Amiga tools to partition and format HD. Usually people would setup HD in WinUAE and upload it to MiSTer FPGA, but it is more fun to use tools in OS and install and setup HD from Amiga side.

Only downside to MiSTer FPGA is that it does not support IPF images and no support for expansion cards like in WinUAE case.

Thank you so much, I will try following all those guidelines

QBit 15 May 2022 22:38

Accuracy is OK but the big chance of WinUAE is being better than the real thing. And in my opinion after accuracy is 100% it should go beyond in any way.
!
Just an opinion!