English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.WHDLoad (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Did Retro Games LTD Licence WHDLoad...? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=109327)

spannernick 30 December 2021 16:33

Did Retro Games LTD Licence WHDLoad...?

In a video they say they did, that means they payed to use it in a licenced product(well that only fair, it does not work without it), THEA500Mini, it licenced by Cloanto to use the Kickstart roms only(only 3 kickstarts A500, A600 and A1200) not the Amiga name...?

Sorry had to ask... :)

Wepl 30 December 2021 22:06

Currently there exists no license agreement to use WHDLoad or any installs created by me in any product of Retro Games LTD.

Retro-Nerd 31 December 2021 03:22

Yeah, this is embarrassing. Check the bottom text on their website.
Quote:

© 2021 Retro Games Ltd. THEA500 is a registered trademark of Retro Games Ltd. All other trademarks and copyrights are the property of their respective owners. All rights reserved. Product specification subject to change without notice. Amiga ROMs © 1985–1993 Cloanto Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Furnished under license from Cloanto Corporation. Cloanto is a trademark owned by Cloanto Corporation throughout the world and registered in the United States and internationally. WHDLoad is a trademark of WHD Llc.

This is a U.S. construction company. :nuts

stainy 31 December 2021 03:24

oh

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wepl (Post 1524311)
Currently there exists no license agreement to use WHDLoad or any installs created by me in any product of Retro Games LTD.

So are they doing something naughty here?

dlfrsilver 31 December 2021 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by stainy (Post 1524359)
So are they doing something naughty here?

Yes. They should have contacted Wepl for a licensed use.

kriz 31 December 2021 14:47

Not cool, seemed like they got everything sorted from the start but it seems not like now.. Still this product need whdload support, so I hope it will get sorted asap!

Superman 31 December 2021 15:33

Considering this is due for release in exactly 3 months time they haven't left much time to get this sorted correctly.

I hope they don't just assume it ok and use it without the authors permission because that would be a big no no.

girv 01 January 2022 15:55

It would also be interesting to know if they used WHDLoad versions of the games the Mini ships with, because they definitely haven’t approached the author of the Paradroid installer about licensing either.

Torti-the-Smurf 01 January 2022 17:04

They didnt even had the decency to ask Master Wepl ? :bowdown

; and the Creators of the Slaves for the included games ? :shocked

Retro Games Ltd. wants to make money with there work and didnt even ask ? :banghead
WTF !! :scream

Who do they think they are ? :mad

If nothing changes, i will not buy any Retro Games Ltd product :scream

stainy 01 January 2022 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torti-the-Smurf (Post 1524583)
They didnt even had the decency to ask Master Wepl ? :bowdown

; and the Creators of the Slaves for the included games ? :shocked

Retro Games Ltd. wants to make money with there work and didnt even ask ? :banghead
WTF !! :scream

Who do they think they are ? :mad

If nothing changes, i will not buy any Retro Games Ltd product :scream

Oh yeah.. you`ll show them alright! :spin

It`s still not ok they didn`t contact authors etc..

Matt_H 01 January 2022 20:46

Before everyone starts flipping out about this, does the shipping product actually use WHDLoad? Or is it designed to be compatible with WHDLoad as a way of users adding their own games (i.e., users provide their own WHDLoad executable)?

spudje 01 January 2022 21:55

On A1k it has been confirmed WHDLoad has been properly licensed for the A500mini. So please don't claim anything that is not based on any facts.

Retro-Nerd 01 January 2022 21:57

Since when? On December 30th Wepl confirmed that nobody licensed anything yet.

stainy 01 January 2022 22:09

A1k ?

Retro-Nerd 01 January 2022 22:17

A German Amiga forum. Looks like spudje lost something in translation in their A500 mini thread (just had a quick read). It is as Wepl pointed out with post# 2, yet.

Galahad/FLT 01 January 2022 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by spudje (Post 1524621)
On A1k it has been confirmed WHDLoad has been properly licensed for the A500mini. So please don't claim anything that is not based on any facts.

The OWNER of WHDLoad begs to differ

AMike 01 January 2022 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wepl (Post 1524311)

If funding is needed for legal action, I would be happy to donate some money.

Retro-Nerd 01 January 2022 23:34

Huh, a funding? I don't think it's primary about money here. It's about to ask Wepl/slave coder and license properly from the Mini maker site. The decent thing would be to offer a bit money though (money or something else) Well, it's still enough time. Why should the community collect money for that? Sounds strange.

coldacid 02 January 2022 00:12

Because sometimes the legal system is the only way to get things fixed, especially when American businesses are involved. And it ain't cheap.

DisasterIncarna 02 January 2022 00:18

give an inch, and they take a mile, we have such sayings for a reason.