English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Will we ever be playing Wipeout 2097 on WinUAE as smooth as a Sega Saturn? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67837)

ImmortalA1000 12 February 2013 01:22

Will we ever be playing Wipeout 2097 on WinUAE as smooth as a Sega Saturn?

Wouldn't it be great if you could play one of your favourit next gen (for the time) consoles on your trusty old Amiga 1200 WITHOUT having to fork out the price of a used Porsche 944 on an accelerator and 3D graphics card? :D

Will we ever be able to save that cash and do it via emulation in the case of Wipeout 2097?

TCD 12 February 2013 08:37

What about 'cutting the middle man' : http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...ndows-7-64-bit ?

thellier 12 February 2013 09:59

Hello

Give a Try to FPSE (playstation emulator) + gpuw3d plugin + Wazp3D (renderer:hard) + WinUAE

It may works as there are several 3D games that already works with this config :-)
http://thellier.free.fr/soulblade-sigfried-sophitia.png

Alain Thellier - Wazp3D

rare_j 12 February 2013 21:58

Dont be ridiculous. We need at least three emulation layers, preferably on three different CPUs to do the job properly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid (Post 867844)
What about 'cutting the middle man' : http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...ndows-7-64-bit ?

TCD 12 February 2013 22:05

Dammit, you're right... sorry 'bout that :(

rare_j 12 February 2013 23:34

Apologies I couldn't resist! :D
On a less flippant note, I found a version of PCSXr recently that puts PS1 games into proper widescreen. R4 is amazing in high res widescreen, perhaps the thread starter could give it a try with Wipeout.

TCD 12 February 2013 23:38

No worries :D
I think it's time to mention that there's currently no interest to implement PPC in WinUAE. I'd also suggest to try both the PC and the PSX version via emulation :)

Minuous 13 February 2013 18:06

The various ports aren't equivalent though. IIRC the Amiga port has various enhancements such as fogging which aren't present in the other versions.

fishyfish 21 February 2013 15:36

Yeah, Id recommend just running the playstation version in FPSE. Works great. Although it doesnt hurt, there's no need for warp3d/wazp3d. I used to play it a bit with FPSE on my Amithlon box.
While still not bad the amiga version (which is a slighty inferior port of pc version) isnt as good as playstation version anyway.
There's an often heard argument that the graphics are better on the amiga version, but I think its an acquired taste. Theyre maybe not quite as chunky, but theyre much blurrier as well (w3d image quality leaves a bit to be desired).

As for the question in the thread title, no. But you can run it smoother :)
Saturn version is good still, but drops a few frames compared to what can be done under Winuae using hardware acceleration.

Lonewolf10 21 February 2013 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishyfish (Post 870077)
Saturn version is good still, but drops a few frames compared to what can be done under Winuae using hardware acceleration.

Yeah, but does it have the same cool in-house soundtrack that's only available on the Saturn versions of Wip3out and Wipeout 2097? I own both :D
The latter game is much easier for newbies to pick up. It took me weeks to master the tracks on Wip3out.

ImmortalA1000 06 July 2018 16:34

Haha I actually meant playing the Blittersoft Amiga PPC release in Sega Saturn quality without buying a PPC accelerator and 3D accelerator for still the price of a Porsche 944 today :o)

WinUAE now does PPC and RTG but has anyone tried it with a really fast PC with their original disk or an ISO?

Would be curious to see just how fast an Amiga you can emulate.

Daedalus 17 July 2018 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 (Post 870199)
Yeah, but does it have the same cool in-house soundtrack that's only available on the Saturn versions of Wip3out and Wipeout 2097? I own both :D
The latter game is much easier for newbies to pick up. It took me weeks to master the tracks on Wip3out.

You mean the original Wipeout, not Wipeout 3, yeah? There were excellent soundtracks on all versions, but I thought the PlayStation versions were the ones with the different soundtrack (courtesy of Sony), and the rest had the inferior one? I know the Amiga and PC version have the same soundtrack anyway.

As for which versions look better, well the PC and Amiga versions do run at a much higher resolution and framerate (given appropriate hardware), but the key thing that I notice when I go back to the PlayStation version is the really short draw distance...

It's a shame the Amiga version appears to have no support for analogue controllers, as they really make the game more enjoyable IMHO.

Edit: I've only ever played the Amiga version on an AmigaOne XE however, which has plenty of horsepower for games like that. I haven't played it on the original PPC accelerators so I can't compare...

kolla 18 July 2018 12:31

Playing Wipeout on CSPPC/CVPPC is rather tedious, but on a mac mini with MorphOS it works great.

zipper 18 July 2018 16:46

CSPPC + Voodoo3 is pretty good.

acidbottle 18 November 2018 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 (Post 1252590)
Haha I actually meant playing the Blittersoft Amiga PPC release in Sega Saturn quality without buying a PPC accelerator and 3D accelerator for still the price of a Porsche 944 today :o)

WinUAE now does PPC and RTG but has anyone tried it with a really fast PC with their original disk or an ISO?

Would be curious to see just how fast an Amiga you can emulate.

Was in the mood for a tinker with the latest winuae yesterday and got my OS4.1 up and running, installed warp3d and set about getting Wipeout to run.

PPC emulation is pretty good, its performance on 3d software sadly isnt, I am unsure if this will or one day change but there you are.

Had to turn off the intro and set screenmode to 800x600 rgb16 (have to run winuae in windowed mode). It loaded fine which was awesome. however, it ran like a brick really. Id estimate around 10-12 fps, I manged a full lap at least!

If anyone has any tips to increase speed please post a reply :)

nexus 18 November 2018 09:13

even better on G3/G4 Classic Amiga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYMUNlXBLKk

kremiso 18 January 2021 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbottle (Post 1285709)
Was in the mood for a tinker with the latest winuae yesterday and got my OS4.1 up and running, installed warp3d and set about getting Wipeout to run.

PPC emulation is pretty good, its performance on 3d software sadly isnt, I am unsure if this will or one day change but there you are.

Had to turn off the intro and set screenmode to 800x600 rgb16 (have to run winuae in windowed mode). It loaded fine which was awesome. however, it ran like a brick really. Id estimate around 10-12 fps, I manged a full lap at least!

If anyone has any tips to increase speed please post a reply :)

wondering if something has been improved lately...
has someone reached to have a better result than this, using the Wipeout + WinUAE combo ?

EAUniW 18 January 2021 11:08

dreadnought 18 January 2021 11:28

I can (sort of) understand people wanting this to run well on real Amigas, but WinUAE? What's the point, when you can just fire up any ol' PSX emulator?

EAUniW 18 January 2021 11:41