English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Games that can be totally installed in RAM ? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=108548)

kremiso 17 October 2021 10:59

Games that can be totally installed in RAM ?

I am searching for some ADos gamedisks that can be installed and played entirely from RAM.
If not directly, of course also making some assign or modifies in the startup-sequence;
I remember a lot of tries i made back in the day
for sure, i remember It came from the desert, and some Lucasfilm adventures, like Zak mc kracken and Maniac Mansion

do you remember others ?

Coagulus 17 October 2021 11:28

Well Coagulus software games can be copied from RAM: and played from there Or they should be able to...

grond 17 October 2021 11:47

Probably Frontier.

Havie 17 October 2021 12:11

Fiendish Freddy? Did this on an ST so guess would be the same for an Amiga.

grond 17 October 2021 12:12

Pirates! can be started from Workbench, I believe. Hence, it should also start from RAM:

rothers 17 October 2021 12:42

I *think* Mortal Kombat will load entirely in to RAM if you have enough, you might have to play each character for it to be totally in RAM though.

Lisko 17 October 2021 12:53

Even bubble heroes (puzzle bobble clone) could be installed and run from ram: if you have 80-90 MB free. You could also use a generic 3.1 whd slave and use the preload option.

Aladin 17 October 2021 13:30

There is no reason that with the correct assignments a game cannot work in "RAM:", it is a device like any other. There is no "trackdisk" on an HDD installation. For example, all whdload games run in "RAM:".

I think it would be easier to make a list of games that don't work ...

kremiso 17 October 2021 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by rothers (Post 1511837)
I *think* Mortal Kombat will load entirely in to RAM if you have enough, you might have to play each character for it to be totally in RAM though.

this is a ndos game disk sadly

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisko (Post 1511839)
Even bubble heroes (puzzle bobble clone) could be installed and run from ram: if you have 80-90 MB free. You could also use a generic 3.1 whd slave and use the preload option.

too much ram lol, i'll clarify my request

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aladin (Post 1511843)
There is no reason that with the correct assignments a game cannot work in "RAM:", it is a device like any other. There is no "trackdisk" on an HDD installation. For example, all whdload games run in "RAM:".

I think it would be easier to make a list of games that don't work ...

sadly not true, adf talking
most of the games still search into df0: ,no matter what changes you made;
it was a little shame, back in the day :(

---
my request can sound indeed a bit bizarre, expecially with the whdload around, i'll try to explain better

i'm trying to help a friend, that is using an old Amiga emulator, on console;
that emulator has a crappy (read SLOW) disk access, but a decent RAM amount (3 or 4 MB i don't remember atm), so the idea to test something different things

ie, i am trying It came from the desert atm, and it works absolutely better
i'll send to him just the main disk, with the changed startup-sequence

EDIT remembered another one, Bubble and Squeak

kriz 17 October 2021 15:01

To get a list of HD install able games just search @ Hol: http://hol.abime.net/hol_search.php?N_hd=yes There you get info how to install to hd even if no installer present .. Also whdload info is present if that is wanted :)

kremiso 17 October 2021 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by kriz (Post 1511855)
To get a list of HD install able games just search @ Hol: http://hol.abime.net/hol_search.php?N_hd=yes There you get info how to install to hd even if no installer present .. Also whdload info is present if that is wanted :)

the HD is not an option in that old emulator, but i can use that list to better remember what game i could retry;
away from me the idea of retry all the HD installs also on RAM :)

kriz 17 October 2021 15:16

If installed to HD or Ram it should both be ok... Also games like http://hol.abime.net/3185 Action Fighter - HD notes: "Simply copy the file 'fam.prg' to a game folder on HD" (or Ram for you :))

kremiso 17 October 2021 15:27

i'll make some tries with a couple of that ones, thanks ;)

Lord Aga 18 October 2021 13:25

I remember copying the entire Dune II from hard drive to RAM, and playing it that way. 0 load time was awesome :)

gimbal 18 October 2021 15:39

I can imagine, although I'll already settle for the no disk swapping. I played Dune 2 without a harddrive, brrr....

Retro1234 18 October 2021 21:01

WHDload preload it's installed in Ram:

Samurai_Crow 18 October 2021 21:22

I played Ultimate Doom from 32 megs of RAM but it works best with only the .WAD file copied to RAM: and a soft link from the hard drive to the RAM disk. ADoom was kind of buggy back then and having save games on the hard drive in case of a crash was preferred.

AMIGASYSTEM 18 October 2021 21:53

There is also the possibility of creating disks from the RAM aka RAD0, RAD1, RAD2 etc.. if I remember correctly NoDos disks also work,

On WinUAE RAD disks do not work well because after a reboot they are deleted!

kremiso 19 October 2021 12:18

Thanks for the entries, i'm testing some atm, no problems until now :)

it was a bit of shame back in the day, that many good games did not use the extra ram at all, ie to reduce loadings;
very few arcade/platform/shumps had that extra
ie, would have helped a lot with Shadow of the beast (1&2), or Xenon 2 (maybe avoiding the middle level loading), prolly even just using the old extra 0,5 MB

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM (Post 1512131)
There is also the possibility of creating disks from the RAM aka RAD0, RAD1, RAD2 etc.. if I remember correctly NoDos disks also work,

On WinUAE RAD disks do not work well because after a reboot they are deleted!

interesting, you mean split the ram like virtual different disks?
it is really possible with nodos disks too?

Samurai_Crow 19 October 2021 12:30

Re:RAD: Device
The recoverable RAM disk, as of Kickstart 3.1, was not debugged to work on any capacity other than 880k but it's not compatible with trackloaders or NDOS disks. The original documentation stated that the capacity could be altered by setting the number of tracks in the mount list entry. That crashes the system if you try it.