English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   My one pet hate about the Amiga's sound... (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=60232)

Bloodwych 22 July 2011 17:25

My one pet hate about the Amiga's sound...

...was the fact it only had four channels. 2 per speaker just wasn't enough.

I find it really annoying that you had these thumping tunes and sound effects competing with one another.

8 channels would have been ideal - even 6 would have done to avoid tunes getting spoilt by sound effects. I wouldn't have minded if the separation of the channels remained, as long as there were more of them.

Imagine what an improvement it would have been with a few more channels. The Amiga already had awesome sound for the time, but I'd love to know why technically they couldn't add just a few more channels.

I remember when I first read about the A1200, I was SOOOO disappointed it had the same sound as the older Amigas. :( Sound was one major selling point for the A500, I thought they could have beefed it up on the A1200.

Dreedo 22 July 2011 17:34

Personally i would have liked there to be sound effects as well as music in the Lotus games. The SNES versions of similar games have both. :/ SNES did have 8 channels though.

s2325 22 July 2011 17:47

For me some games are better with no music (Gods, Cadaver, Assassin, Alien Breed 1-3, Full Contact).

Leffmann 22 July 2011 19:49

I feel the same. 8 channels and free stereo panning would've been a massive improvement.

daxb 22 July 2011 22:31

Simply they hadn`t updated the audio chip (Paula), maybe because it was cheaper. A new or updated 16 bit audio chip with at least 8 channels (better 16) with free panning (stereo++) were the next step after A500. A synthesizer chip had ruled the world. :D "When dreams come true".

PaulyQ 22 July 2011 22:47

Although it only had 4 channels it was easy enough to multitrack to a single channel so for instance....

4 sample sequences combined in a sound editor, made into 1 sample, load that as your sample and so on....

but again I agree it was limited by scope of pan and 4 chans of sound

Paul_s 23 July 2011 00:38

I'm just thankful women don't have more than one channel.

Shatterhand 23 July 2011 08:26

Some games managed to split channels... I am not sure how its done, but most of Chris Huelsbeck title-screen music have 6 channels, and most games featuring his music has 4 channel music *and* sound effects.

If I am not mistake, Stardust also uses 6 channels. It was something about splitting a 8 bits channel to be two 7 bits channels... not that this makes any sense to me :)

Bloodwych 23 July 2011 10:30

Technical brilliance overcoming hardware limitations - the good old days! :D

Unfortunately many games didn't avoid the channel limitations, but I guess it's now all water under the bridge.

Talking about Amiga sound, I just realized that on todays machines I never load up games JUST to listen to the music, even though today it has no limitations whatsoever. Says something about those catchy four channel tunes (which would have been better with a few more channels!) :p

Mad-Matt 23 July 2011 12:07

3 channels should have been enough to produce a good melody as game musicians were good at on the 8 bit machines leaving 1 channels for effects.

daxb 23 July 2011 15:17

BabeAnoid2.5 use PT mods with 2 channels für music and 2 for effects. I did some mods for it and it worked better then I expected.

Photon 24 July 2011 00:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leffmann (Post 768531)
I feel the same. 8 channels and free stereo panning would've been a massive improvement.

Spot on. That's exactly what should have been included when AGA came. Would have been enough and not much work for C=. Unless the guy who designed Paula didn't work there anymore and that's why. ;p

trackah123 24 July 2011 03:23

I'm not sure but i have the impression because right now we don't have sound-limitations anymore, so its easier to create music and maybe less effort put into it.

In the past because of the limitation they really pushed the sound-capabilities, melodies etc to the limit. thats why some songs sounds so amazing.
Same goes for graphics in the old days. I still like nice amiga-pictures more then what we have nowadays.

Look at todays movies compared to movies of the past. in the past alot of movies were amazing. nowadays its being overrun by CGI to the point that it becomes ridiculously overdone etc.

I am convinced that limitations gets more true skills out of the "artist" then without limitations.

Amiga1992 24 July 2011 03:48

4 channels was OK, we could squeeze it with channel economy.
WHat always pissed me off, to this day, is hard stereo panning. That is plainly retarded. They should have allowed you to have all 4 channels being panned however you wanted them, for true stereo.
Quote:

Originally Posted by trackah123 (Post 768844)
I am convinced that limitations gets more true skills out of the "artist" then without limitations.

100 times in agreement with this!

CritAnime 24 July 2011 06:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 768846)
4 channels was OK, we could squeeze it with channel economy.
WHat always pissed me off, to this day, is hard stereo panning. That is plainly retarded. They should have allowed you to have all 4 channels being panned however you wanted them, for true stereo.

Yeah that is annoying. I have to agree with this completely. While not an issue when using the speakers in a TV it gets a little irritating when using headphones. Which, depending on the game, can be a little off putting and distracting.

Amiga1992 24 July 2011 19:44

Imagine trying to MAKE music using headphones, which nowadays, can occur to me a lot. It's just painful!!!