English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Installing amiga os 3.5/3.9 using winuae then moving cf to amiga 1200 (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67115)

alienkidmj12 20 December 2012 16:07

Installing amiga os 3.5/3.9 using winuae then moving cf to amiga 1200

hi folks,

could someone provide me some guidance on how this would be done, baring in mind that i dont have a cdrom on amiga 1200, the iso for 3.5 is available on the pc running winuae only. im not of the process really, ive just took my amiga 1200 out of storage and thought id give this a go. id also be using a 8gb cf card.

thanks

dave

cosmicfrog 20 December 2012 20:38

you prob not going like this answer but you do install amiga os 3.5/3.9 using winuae then moving cf to amiga 1200
so you set your HDD/CF card up in you windows pc then take it out put it in ya a1200 and you good to go

have a look at the classicwb packs they do just that, have good instructions and you always find support on here

good luck

Jope 22 December 2012 23:34

This should be its own thread.

fitzsteve 22 December 2012 23:45

If you went to Google you would have got this as the first result: ;)

http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.de/os39uae.html

johnim 23 December 2012 12:31

hi look at my guides in my sig they may help

Vicky 31 October 2013 06:11

This doesn't work if you put the hard drive in a real Amiga

fitzsteve 31 October 2013 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky (Post 919525)
This doesn't work if you put the hard drive in a real Amiga

It worked for me, maybe you done something wrong?

If you give us more info, maybe we can help :)

Vicky 02 May 2014 01:07

OK, this is more info. This was my process.

1. I did a clean install of OS 3.9, installed both the Boing Bags, and made it into an HDF. I did that with the configuration Bloodwych supplied for the installation.

2. This meant that there could be no issues with:
a. my hardware (to include the SD card with 2 4GB partitions formatted with SFS)
b. my installed software
c. my startup-sequence
d. my user-startup

3. I followed the instructions exactly.

4. I reinstalled with all of the options removed and none of them removed.

5. When that didn't work, I did the EXACT SAME PROCESS with Classic Workbench 3.1. It worked great. Then, I formatted an 8GB SD card with SFS into 2 4GB partitions and copied THAT installation onto the SD card. It worked fine.

6. That means that the failed install is not because I am not following the instructions.

NovaCoder 02 May 2014 04:01

The way I usual set up a hard drive (CF or whatever) for a real Amiga is to use WinUAE with the HD actually connected to the PC.

I think it's the best way to do it, you can play around with the set up and make sure it's all working in WinUAE before unplugging it and installing the drive in your real Amiga. I managed to work it out by reading a couple of online guides and some trial-and-error.

:)

Vot 02 May 2014 04:46

Nova,

I just check the actual size of the cf etc then use dd write a blank file that size. Then set it up in winuae then dd it to the card when done.

NovaCoder 02 May 2014 08:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vot (Post 952468)
Nova,

I just check the actual size of the cf etc then use dd write a blank file that size. Then set it up in winuae then dd it to the card when done.

Yep you can do it that way, I just like to physically connect the Amiga drive to the PC :D

Hewitson 02 May 2014 08:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaCoder (Post 952477)
Yep you can do it that way, I just like to physically connect the Amiga drive to the PC :D

He is physically connecting it as well, but instead of installing directly to the card he is installing to a HDF exactly the same size as the card and then dd'ing it over. I'd probably do the same, but it's not the way to go if you're in a hurry as you're transferring a lot of blank space.