English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Coders. General (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Why can't I open the Topaz-font in a boot block? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=52853)

Leffmann 18 May 2010 20:42

Why can't I open the Topaz-font in a boot block?

Trying to open the resident Topaz size 8, but OpenFont fails. Code works perfectly fine outside the boot block. Any ideas?

thomas 18 May 2010 22:36

Resident fonts are case sensitive. If you tried to open "Topaz.font" it will fail, because it's called "topaz.font".

Anyway, topaz 8 ist the default font. You shouldn't need to open it. If you call InitRastPort() your RastPort will be set to topaz 8 already.

Leffmann 18 May 2010 23:27

Thanks for the hints. I am of course opening "topaz.font" - the code works and prints text just like it should when I run it from CLI or Workbench.

What I'm after is the pointer to the actual bitmap data for the Topaz 8, and again this works fine outside the boot block. I tried calling InitRastPort and picking the TextFont pointer from there, and then the tf_CharData, but I see from the results that the TextFont doesn't get properly initialized.

Any other ideas how I can obtain the pointer to the font bitmap?

StingRay 19 May 2010 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leffmann (Post 670386)
Thanks for the hints. I am of course opening "topaz.font" - the code works and prints text just like it should when I run it from CLI or Workbench.

I think (not sure though) that OpenFont() doesn't work in the bootblock because it needs initialized intuition.library which isn't available at boot. But this is just a guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leffmann (Post 670386)
Any other ideas how I can obtain the pointer to the font bitmap?

You could look for the first "8x8" font you find in the gb_TextFonts structure in gfxbase. Something like:

Code:

INCDIR        SOURCES:INCLUDE/
        INCLUDE        graphics/gfxbase.i
        INCLUDE        graphics/text.i

FindFont
        move.l        $4.w,a6
        move.l        $9c(a6),a6                ; nifty but naughty, gfxbase
        lea        gb_TextFonts(a6),a0
.findFont
        move.l        (a0),a0
        cmp.w        #8,tf_XSize(a0)
        bne.b        .findfont

move.l        tf_CharData(a0),a0

should do the trick.

Leffmann 19 May 2010 13:45

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks. You forgot to compensate for the node size in your code, but even then I can't find a single font with a width or height of 8 in the TextFonts list. I also tried picking the font via DefaultFont in the graphics base, but that gives the same random letters as when I pick the font from a freshly initialized RastPort.

What I want to get hold of is the monospaced bitmap of the Topaz 8, where the characters come in ASCII order and are 8 bytes per character, which is exactly what you get when you call OpenFont.

This is what the alphabet in Topaz 8 looks like when I grab it via the graphics base or a RastPort:

StingRay 19 May 2010 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leffmann (Post 670523)
You forgot to compensate for the node size in your code

The code is perfectly fine!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leffmann (Post 670523)
but even then I can't find a single font with a width or height of 8 in the TextFonts list.

Not sure what is wrong with your code but I can find the Topaz font with the code I posted.

Leffmann 19 May 2010 14:04

Really? My docs say that TextFonts is at offset 140 in the graphics base, and this is a List of size 14, and at offset 0 in there is the pointer to the first Node, which has a size of 14, and the actual data, a TextFont structure, comes right after. You must've looked at some other code, because I don't see how you can traverse a list from just a TextFont structure. I can't make head nor tail of this (get it?).

Leffmann 19 May 2010 14:12

Let's get on the English Amiga Board Internet Relay Chat Server (TM) and solve this, or do it later if you're at work.

If anyone else knows a safe way to get to the intact Topaz 8 bitmap in a boot block, please post!

Galahad/FLT 19 May 2010 14:42

Theres plenty of bootblocks that use resident fonts, especially stuff like Interferon. The X-Copy bootblock uses a resident font doesn't it?

StingRay 19 May 2010 14:51

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leffmann (Post 670532)
Really? My docs say that TextFonts is at offset 140 in the graphics base, and this is a List of size 14, and at offset 0 in there is the pointer to the first Node, which has a size of 14, and the actual data, a TextFont structure, comes right after. You must've looked at some other code, because I don't see how you can traverse a list from just a TextFont structure. I can't make head nor tail of this (get it?).

I have hacked a small example which shows that my code is perfectly fine! I have attached it here. I really don't know why you didn't just use the code I posted. And as for your question:

lea gb_TextFonts(a6),a0

Anyway, here's the main part of my example code:

Code:

MAIN    move.l    START\.GFXbase(pc),a0
    lea    gb_TextFonts(a0),a0
.findFont
    move.l    (a0),a0
    cmp.w    #8,tf_XSize(a0)
    bne.b    .findfont

move.w    tf_Modulo(a0),d0
    move.l    tf_CharData(a0),a0

lea    screen,a1

moveq    #40-1,d6
.line   

move.l    a0,a2
    move.l    a1,a3

moveq    #8-1,d7
.copy    move.b    (a2),(a3)
    add.w    d0,a2
    add.w    #40,a3
    dbf    d7,.copy

addq.w    #1,a0
    addq.w    #1,a1
    dbf    d6,.line

and it'll print one line with the font.

thomas 19 May 2010 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leffmann (Post 670532)
there is the pointer to the first Node, which has a size of 14, and the actual data, a TextFont structure, comes right after.

The struct TextFont *contains* the stuct Node at the beginning, it does not come after it. So the tf_#? offsets already include the 14 bytes of the Node.

Leffmann 19 May 2010 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas (Post 670564)
The struct TextFont *contains* the stuct Node at the beginning, it does not come after it. So the tf_#? offsets already include the 14 bytes of the Node.

Thanks, I've sorted the confusion now. The docs are a bit messy, the TextFont contains a Message structure which in turn contains a Node and some other data, but with no mention that fonts are effectively linked together through the Message structure, so instead I start at the graphics base and see a List which points to a Node which has a diagram depicting attached data at the end of the node, and I end up with wrong offsets.

In any case Stingray's first suggestion to iterate through the font list works fine now that I've corrected my offsets.

Thanks!

Photon 19 May 2010 20:38

I seem to remember I needed no search algo to nick topaz 8 in the bootblock. But that was on kick 1.2-2.0. This is what I used way back when, probably the same way Leffman does it?

Code:

OpenFont:
        moveq #33,d0
        lea GfxLib(PC),a1
        jsr -408(a6)
        move.l d0,a6

lea FontDef(PC),a0
        lea FontName(PC),a1
        move.l a1,(a0)                        ;PC-relative, ya know!
        jsr -72(a6)                        ;openFont(topaz.font)
        move.l d0,a1
        move.l $22(a1),a2                ;fontaddr
        jsr -78(a6)                        ;close font

move.l a6,a1
        move.l 4.w,a6
        jsr -414(a6)
        rts

FontDef:dc.l 0
        dc.w 8,0
FontName:dc.b "topaz.font",0
GfxLib:        dc.b "graphics.library",0        ;MUST BE ODD!

Comments included as bonus, the last one is probably for some .library reuse or other packing.

It feels very strange to me that OpenFont would start failing on higher kicks without any mention in docs, but perhaps the last revision of those bibles was exactly in the kick 2.0 times.

Maybe the font organization in memory or font struct changed at some point, and that's why some methods work/fail?

Leffmann 19 May 2010 21:52

You're right that OpenFont DOES work in a boot block, and looking at your code I just realized that OpenFont failed because I had set the pointer to the font name directly in the TextAttr structure, and ignored it when I made the rest of the code PC-relative. Funny how you always look for the error in the wrong place.