English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Is it possible to play every Amiga game releases? A project to do just that! (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=112323)

jotd 02 November 2022 20:40

I suggest strip poker games with cheat mode on :)

Megalomaniac 02 November 2022 20:45

Champonship Manager 93 is the highest rated football management game on LemonAmiga, but I'd advise against starting with it, as its quite dry and unfriendly if you're not a fan of the genre already, and its pretty bugged even if you get good ADFs. Premier Manager II is my favourite (as someone who's enjoyed the genre since the Spectrum days), Ultimate Soccer Manager and On the Ball are also quite 'light'.

Weasel Fierce 02 November 2022 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megalomaniac (Post 1572613)
Champonship Manager 93 is the highest rated football management game on LemonAmiga, but I'd advise against starting with it, as its quite dry and unfriendly if you're not a fan of the genre already, and its pretty bugged even if you get good ADFs. Premier Manager II is my favourite (as someone who's enjoyed the genre since the Spectrum days), Ultimate Soccer Manager and On the Ball are also quite 'light'.

Alright, Premier Manager II is probably gonna be the starting point then. Who knows, it may even win me over :)

Weasel Fierce 03 November 2022 15:41

Todays updates:

Silkworm 3/5
I know a lot would rate this a 4 and it is a great game but the game is too stingy with power ups and I am not a huge fan of one hit kills. Still, one I pull out once in a while.
Did anyone actually like playing as the jeep?

This was a replay.

Pang 4/5
Basically great. Its easy to pick up and play, better with two players but still fun on your own and quite frantic. I must admit, I usually disable the time limit when I play.

Also a replay, me and the kid play this one once in a while.

Prehistorik 2/5
I had not played this before. I wanted to like this and it does have some fun elements. I like the cartoon vibe and a hungry caveman is a fun idea. Let down by the controls being so stiff though. Jumping never feels good and it unfortunately let down the game for me. Seems popular on Lemon Amiga so curious to hear peoples thoughts.

Skipped games:
Prehistorik (CDTV)

gimbal 03 November 2022 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weasel Fierce (Post 1572785)
Todays updates:

Silkworm 3/5
I know a lot would rate this a 4 and it is a great game but the game is too stingy with power ups and I am not a huge fan of one hit kills. Still, one I pull out once in a while.

No I think 3/5 fits. Its a good game, definitely good programming behind it and especially good sound design. But repetitive as all heck and no in-game music. One where I'm happy that save states exist because I don't really want to be playing it for more than 15 minutes at a time.

I do like the jeep, the fact that you have to jump over stuff kind of breaks the monotony. It also looks kind of silly, and I like that the game has these silly little details to contrast its otherwise deadly serious tone. The halfway boss is another one of those things, it's kind of odd that it is so animalistic in design.

Prehistorik... decent music and okay boss fights. But it plays like frame skipping is turned on and the edge scrolling really wasn't necessary (although it was clearly by design rather than through technical limitations, because Prehistorik 2 still does staggered scrolling...). Still, there are worse platformers.

Weasel Fierce 03 November 2022 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimbal (Post 1572793)
No I think 3/5 fits. Its a good game, definitely good programming behind it and especially good sound design. But repetitive as all heck and no in-game music. One where I'm happy that save states exist because I don't really want to be playing it for more than 15 minutes at a time.

Yeah, thats very much my impression. Fun to play...in short bursts. I suppose being a coin up originally you wouldnt be playing any longer than the quarters could reach.

Quote:

Prehistorik... decent music and okay boss fights. But it plays like frame skipping is turned on and the edge scrolling really wasn't necessary (although it was clearly by design rather than through technical limitations, because Prehistorik 2 still does staggered scrolling...). Still, there are worse platformers.
At least the enemy placements arent usually right in place to ambush you when you change screens so there was that. In fact the level design is pretty decent.

I was thinking about it because the jumps are really really "tight" like you always kind of wish your character could go another mm or two, which didnt bother me in Gods but it really bugged me here.

Appreciate your thoughts!

alkis21 03 November 2022 16:56

I wish you luck and courage in your noble endeavor.

TCD 03 November 2022 17:20

Quote:

Pang 4/5
Basically great. Its easy to pick up and play, better with two players but still fun on your own and quite frantic. I must admit, I usually disable the time limit when I play.

Also a replay, me and the kid play this one once in a while.

If Pang is a 4/5 I wonder what a 5/5 will look like.

Weasel Fierce 03 November 2022 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCD (Post 1572811)
If Pang is a 4/5 I wonder what a 5/5 will look like.

The ratings reflect my personal enjoyment :) Pang is a great game (hence why its a 4) but its not something I ever feel like spending an entire day playing.

TCD 03 November 2022 17:42

Fair enough :) It's also a lot better co-op, so solo I'd give it a 4/5 as well.

Weasel Fierce 03 November 2022 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCD (Post 1572820)
Fair enough :) It's also a lot better co-op, so solo I'd give it a 4/5 as well.

Dyna Blaster comes to mind as a game that really isnt fun on your own but in two player is an absolute hoot.

TCD 03 November 2022 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weasel Fierce (Post 1572832)
Dyna Blaster comes to mind as a game that really isnt fun on your own but in two player is an absolute hoot.

Yep. It's even worth getting a four player adapter for that game.

Megalomaniac 03 November 2022 20:09

Super Skidmarks is another that's very limited for one player but great for more, up to 8 players if you link 2 A1200s - though your chances of grabbing 7 people keen to play an elaborate Super Sprint in 2022 might realistically be slim... Amiga gaming wasn't just a solitary activity BITD, I'm thinking Worms or Micro Machines too. I never did try The Settlers against someone with 2 mice either, that should be on my bucket list...

Weasel Fierce 04 November 2022 15:43

Todays game updates:

Katakis - Its appealing but the colors are kind of bland and the difficulty is absolutely insane. I dont factor port quality in, but I recall enjoying the C64 version more. 2/5. Maaaybe a 3 if you have crazy spider reflexes.

Cannon Fodder - Well, everyone knows its a classic and one I replay often but Ill admit,I usually tap around pretty quickly past mission 8 when the combination of twitchy reflexes and sheer luck gets out of hand. Still, a 4/5.

Dogs of War - A game I tend to enjoy in spite of not actually being very good. The levels are boring, the weapons are mostly interchangeable and to make any progress you have to inch your way forward. 2/5.

Skipped:
Cannon Fodder (CD32). Anything notable about the CD version?

(and yes, I am knocking off some of the easy ones that I have played recently first to make some headway in the list. Katakis was the first time Ive played the Amiga version and I only played the 64 version a few times so pretty much a new play)

TCD 04 November 2022 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weasel Fierce (Post 1573015)
Skipped:
Cannon Fodder (CD32). Anything notable about the CD version?

The intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRjS4nZkUaE

Weasel Fierce 04 November 2022 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCD (Post 1573019)

Okay that is a special kind of amazing, thank you for sharing.

jotd 04 November 2022 19:17

Quote:

Todays updates:

Silkworm 3/5

Yes, with 2-button control and only as support for the heli. Then it's awesome

Quote:

Prehistorik 2/5
I had not played this before. I wanted to like this and it does have some fun elements. I like the cartoon vibe and a hungry caveman is a fun idea. Let down by the controls being so stiff though. Jumping never feels good and it unfortunately let down the game for me. Seems popular on Lemon Amiga so curious to hear peoples thoughts.

Skipped games:
Prehistorik (CDTV)

This one is not very good, animation is too fast, like most of Titus games (Moktar, Blues Brothers) but lacking the quality of those 2.

Given the ratings and the titles you're playing I have a feeling that you're pre-selecting games. I don't see a lot of turds played :) good for you!

TCD 04 November 2022 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1573073)
Given the ratings and the titles you're playing I have a feeling that you're pre-selecting games. I don't see a lot of turds played :) good for you!

I'm also watching the thread waiting for the 0/5s ;)

Weasel Fierce 04 November 2022 19:23

Haha, I decided to knock out some of the ones I know well first just to make some headway on the numbers :)

Itll be trash-o-clock soon!

I have added a blog post for the scoring system and rewritten (and clarified) the "rules" blog post. Both are in the first post of this thread.

Weasel Fierce 05 November 2022 15:37

Alright, three more, two replays and a new one:

Metal Law (replay)
Pretty okay. The visuals and music are nice and the controls are responsive. Its let down a bit by the levels not being that interesting and having a lot of "jump down but you might die haha" places. An okay game and worth a play. 3/5.

Test Drive (replay)
I struggled with this one. On one hand, I find that I enjoyed it a lot more last night than Ive done in the past. There is a nice vibe to it and it is an early attempt at a "simulation" racing game. On the other hand, the tracks are pretty dull and it moves rather slowly. A 2/5 but could have been a 3 if there was more to do.

Cytron (never played before)
A pretty involved top down shooter with multiple weapons, computer consoles and some light puzzles. Even with the manual its a bit opaque but worth a look for sure. The enemies look a bit dopey. A good example that you can do something interesting with the shoot em up genre, but the "combat" feels a bit weightless. 3/5.