English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Nostalgia & memories (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   David Muscat Literature-includes reviews of The Chaos Engine, Axiom Verge and Heretic (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=93924)

Muzkat 26 August 2018 08:11

David Muscat Literature-includes reviews of The Chaos Engine, Axiom Verge and Heretic

Hi everyone,

As some of you may know, I'm passionate about writing, reading, gaming and sci-fi and fantasy. You might have read some of my work in the last two issues of Amiga Point of View.

Earlier this year I started a writer's blog, which I am now sharing with you all. I came up with the novel name of David Muscat Literature, and in it you can find:

...along with various blog posts, random musings and alittle something about me.

If you like what you see, please follow. The more followers I can get, the better.

Thanks all!

(Mods - please delete if not allowed)

gimbal 28 August 2018 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muzkat (Post 1264247)
(Mods - please delete if not allowed)

Directs an uncomfortably lengthy icy stare at the mods.

Congrats on taking the plunge!

Muzkat 03 September 2018 12:04

Thanks Gimbal! Feels great to put yourself out there.

I'll post updates in this thread when I put up stuff people might enjoy. For example, I've just posted a review of Altered Carbon (the novel, not the Netflix series).

Muzkat 30 October 2018 13:03

I've added a side by side comparison of The Surge and Lords of the Fallen, if people are interested.

Muzkat 03 February 2019 12:29

I've just posted a review of Alien: Isolation for anyone who wants a read.

Dastardly 03 February 2019 13:18

I enjoyed your Chaos Engine review. To me Dan Malone is a genius so "The pixel art is good yet all in all unremarkable" is sacrilege :D

gimbal 04 February 2019 09:38

Alien: Isolation was proof that gaming has the potential to replace conventional cinema one day.

The mobile only sequel is proof that the lust for easy money is going to stop that from happening though :)

Muzkat 05 February 2019 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimbal (Post 1302406)
Alien: Isolation was proof that gaming has the potential to replace conventional cinema one day.

The mobile only sequel is proof that the lust for easy money is going to stop that from happening though :)

Isolation really was brilliant, wasn't it? It felt like a new piece of lore that felt compltely at home in the Alien franchise.

Didn't realize they released a mediocre mobile game though. I'll avoid that one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dastardly (Post 1302229)
I enjoyed your Chaos Engine review. To me Dan Malone is a genius so "The pixel art is good yet all in all unremarkable" is sacrilege :D

I liked the art, but in some areas I thought it could be better. For me the level design, music and replay value are what make The Chaos Engine a true classic. Not to mention that it introduced me to the steampunk genre! :)

gimbal 05 February 2019 20:49

The Chaos Engine proves one thing without a doubt: with a cool pumping soundtrack and a cool voice saying things very matter-of-factly ("Exit open!") you already have my money, the rest you just fill in as you please.

volvo_0ne 05 February 2019 20:59

Alien: Isolation
I've not seen this one before (nor heard of it)

Is it as good as the "Dead Space" games for PS3?

If so I may try to track down a copy

gimbal 05 February 2019 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvo_0ne (Post 1302759)
Alien: Isolation
I've not seen this one before (nor heard of it)

Is it as good as the "Dead Space" games for PS3?

If so I may try to track down a copy

All amazing games. If you like the more slow gameplay of the first Dead Space you probably like Isolation. It's more of a survival horror title, you won't do much fighting in it.

Dastardly 05 February 2019 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muzkat (Post 1302655)
Not to mention that it introduced me to the steampunk genre! :)

Me too. I'd never heard of it and was fascinated by it. It's such a cool aesthetic! I had high hopes that The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen would be a kind of steampunk, Chaos Engine film... but then it wasn't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimbal (Post 1302757)
The Chaos Engine proves one thing without a doubt: with a cool pumping soundtrack and a cool voice saying things very matter-of-factly ("Exit open!") you already have my money, the rest you just fill in as you please.

I'm totally with you on this. It still sounds great today.

Anubis 05 February 2019 22:12

I have to for long time on PS4, but never installed it?! Issue of too many game, too little time...

Muzkat 09 September 2019 13:59

Review of R-Type Dimensions EX is up!

I also reviewed Mortal Kombat 11 a while ago.

Enjoy!

DamienD 09 September 2019 14:19

Nice review of R-Type Dimensions EX Muzkat :great

gimbal 10 September 2019 10:41

"It casts us back to a simpler age, when we weren’t forcibly pressed against adulthood’s inescapable mesh of obligations."

Ha! If you don't have kids, it's pretty easy to keep those obligations to a minimum. What irks me the most about being an adult is knowing how screwed up things have become in less than half a decade. Kid me: plastic = toys. Adult me: plastic = death.

Anubis 10 September 2019 15:20

Not for DD, he still has 'plastic toys'. :lol

Nice reviews, David, thank you for sharing.

Muzkat 14 September 2019 16:59

Cheers guys. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimbal (Post 1344665)
Ha! If you don't have kids, it's pretty easy to keep those obligations to a minimum.

A mini-Muzkat was born just over four months ago:) Bubs and Mum are doing well. Not so sure about Dad though!;)

DamienD 14 September 2019 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muzkat (Post 1345505)
A mini-Muzkat was born just over four months ago:) Bubs and Mum are doing well. Not so sure about Dad though!;)

Congrats to you and the family :spin

Anubis 16 September 2019 14:13

Congrats! :)

Since you were into Amiga, after getting all those games without manuals and instructions back in the time, you should not have problems with kids, who also come without any instructions or manuals. :lol :cheese

Enjoy while kiddo is little and while you have not to fight for gaming control. :laughing